F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wing spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 05:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear wing spoiler

Hello, I have a 2015 R. Is there an issue with mounting a rear wing spoiler, same as the SVR wing, to the rear wing and still have the stock rear wing go up and down at speed? I know I have to mount the new wing on the small, stock wing but was wondering I need to keep that wing from raising up and down. The SVR type wing is all carbon fiber, very light. Would the attached wing interfere with anything?

thanks in advance.

Old 08-18-2023, 11:50 PM
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Your question is phrased a bit difficult for me to understand, but I think you are asking if you can leave the original "R" version spoiler on the car and mount the SVR spoiler directly to the OEM R spoiler -- and disconnect the R spoiler so that it wont move up and down at speed.
Do I understand this right? If you want to upgrade to the SVR wing in a factory format and have it function correctly, the answer is no. The SVR spoiler needs to mount on 2 articulating arms that are connected to an SVR specific motor assembly. You will also need to replace the deck lid cover that accommodates the articulating arms for the spoiler. The whole assembly is plug-n-play and takes 30 mins to remove the oem R setup and replace with the SVR pieces. See pics below for more clarity:

This is an example of the deck lid that provides housing for the articulating arms of the SVR motor assembly. Note the black "pod" type covers molded into the lid.

Here is a photo of the deck lid and SVR motor assembly / articulating arms I had purchased (used) when I upgraded my "R" to include an SVR wing. I had to paint my deck lid cover to match my car color.

Here is a photo of the deck lid and motor assembly installed, waiting to receive the bolt-on rear SVR wing

ANNNNND ... a photo of all three components installed. As mentioned, all the connections are plug-n-play when replacing the oem wing and motor over to the SVR assembly.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2547.mov (4.26 MB, 7 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Dillweed:
DJS (08-19-2023), OzXFR (08-18-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 05:06 AM

Dillweed, thanks for the reply…..I suck at explaining LOL. The new wing shown in my picture is in the “style” of an SVR but not from an SVR so it does not have the articulating arms/pods….it just stands on pods. (See below pics)

So, the question I had was, is it ok to mount it to the existing R deck lid and have it go up and down with the existing deck lid?

Old 08-19-2023, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Laika
Dillweed, thanks for the reply…..I suck at explaining LOL. The new wing shown in my picture is in the “style” of an SVR but not from an SVR so it does not have the articulating arms/pods….it just stands on pods. (See below pics)

So, the question I had was, is it ok to mount it to the existing R deck lid and have it go up and down with the existing deck lid?
This same question was asked a few years ago and I'm fairly sure the answer was "no, it won't work".
Coz the OEM spoiler tilts more than enough to cause the ends/tips of the proposed spoiler to hit the tops of the rear fenders.
Should be easy enough to check with the car stationary, just raise the spoiler (ie cleaning mode) then try to place the CF spoiler in position and see if it fits or not.

Old 08-19-2023, 02:09 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
This same question was asked a few years ago and I'm fairly sure the answer was "no, it won't work".
Coz the OEM spoiler tilts more than enough to cause the ends/tips of the proposed spoiler to hit the tops of the rear fenders.
Should be easy enough to check with the car stationary, just raise the spoiler (ie cleaning mode) then try to place the CF spoiler in position and see if it fits or not.
It looks like the spoiler actually attaches to the bit that raises so shouldn't be a problem. Unless I'm missing something ....

Old 08-19-2023, 04:58 PM
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

The question I would ask: Is there enough structural support integrity in the existing wing, as well as the original mechanism; to not only lift the new wing, but will the angle of the new wing while lifted create an unwanted turbulance at the rear or more drag that could cause a catstrophic failure.

Last edited by PaulBarrrera; 08-19-2023 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2023, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
It looks like the spoiler actually attaches to the bit that raises so shouldn't be a problem. Unless I'm missing something ....
Yep, you're missing the fact that you have misinterpreted my advice!
Coz "the bit that raises" raises by tilting, ie the back of the spoiler raises but the front doesn't (maybe a little), so the front edge of anything bolted to the top of the OEM spoiler will move downward towards the tops of the fenders. So the $64,000 question is will the ends/tips of the added spoiler foul on the fenders or not.

The following users liked this post:
scm (08-20-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 07:01 PM

Thanks for all the thoughts….I lifted the stock rear deck wing and laid the new wing on top of it. If mounted, the new wing will hit the fenders when the stock wing goes up. So, now I have to decide whether to fix the excising read deck so it does not rise so the new wing does not hit the fenders, or go on the hunt for an SVR wing and left.

Does anyone know where a used SVR wing and lift is for sale?

Last edited by Laika; 08-19-2023 at 07:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 04:16 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Yep, you're missing the fact that you have misinterpreted my advice!
Coz "the bit that raises" raises by tilting, ie the back of the spoiler raises but the front doesn't (maybe a little), so the front edge of anything bolted to the top of the OEM spoiler will move downward towards the tops of the fenders. So the $64,000 question is will the ends/tips of the added spoiler foul on the fenders or not.
Good call! Another benefit of having a fixed rear spoiler is I don't have any knowledge of "the bit that raises, er, tilts".

Old 08-20-2023, 02:54 PM

Does anyone know where a used SVR wing and lift is for sale?

Keep an eye open for complete SVR hatch assemblies from used automotive parts suppliers. I found one, and posted about it some time ago. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...nstall-269771/

Old 08-20-2023, 04:06 PM

Thanks Dillweed, how was the “programming” that is needed or am I mistaken? I read another post that said because of the change, there would need to be a software update/change. If you don’t mind me asking, what is the “used” cost for something like this? That may drive me to use the one I bought and do what is needed to prevent the current rear deck from going up/down. I read in another post that in order to do this, I would need to cut the “rods” that turn to lift it.

Last edited by Laika; 08-20-2023 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2023, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Dillweed, how was the “programming” that is needed or am I mistaken? I read another post that said because of the change, there would need to be a software update/change. If you don’t mind me asking, what is the “used” cost for something like this? That may drive me to use the one I bought and do what is needed to prevent the current rear deck from going up/down. I read in another post that in order to do this, I would need to cut the “rods” that turn to lift it.
I permanently disabled my rear spoiler a few years ago, no need to cut anything, see here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2/#post1614196

Old 08-21-2023, 03:14 AM

If you are using original SVR parts, everything is remarkably easy to install -- as I said, it is literally plug-n-play. Every plug and connection from the "R" spoiler activator/motor assembly will match up to the SVR actuator unit. There is nothing to cut, splice, or modify. Once installed, there is NO PROGRAMMING REQUIRED -- it will raise at 70mph and lower at 50mph just like your current spoiler does now. It even raises/lowers with the console button used for cleaning the spoiler.

I happened to find my unit as part of a parted out SVR rear hatch assembly that was listed on Ebay. If I remember correctly, I paid around 2K for it (crating and FedEx trucking from coast to coast included). I then paid 350.00 to have the deck lid and wing tips painted to match my car. Interesting note: the color listed on my factory pprwrk says Corris Grey, but the paint code (1AB)
was listed as Carpathian Grey at the paint shop. I know that both these colors are used by Jaguar, but they appear to be one and the same at the paint shop.
I have also included a parts list that has been listed on this site many times before, showing the part numbers and factory pricing of the unobtanium SVR wing parts you will need to source to perform this project the SVR way:

And the finished project:

Last edited by Dillweed; 08-21-2023 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-21-2023, 07:29 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dillweed
Interesting note: the color listed on my factory pprwrk says Corris Grey, but the paint code (1AB)
was listed as Carpathian Grey at the paint shop. I know that both these colors are used by Jaguar, but they appear to be one and the same at the paint shop.
Possibly the same situation as Glacier White and Yulong White (paint code 1AQ)? Renamed to align with LR colours?

Old 08-21-2023, 07:21 PM

Thanks again Dillweed, new, they are quite expensive. I am going to see if I can find a used one. I would rather have the SVR with the mechanical system if I can find one but, they are hard to find. I may just unplug the connector and mount the wing on the existing deck. Either way, it will look pretty nice.

Old 08-21-2023, 09:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I permanently disabled my rear spoiler a few years ago, no need to cut anything, see here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2/#post1614196
Two questions: Is it the same thing on a '24 than your '14? And didn't you get a CEL, after getting that error on your dash? Or was it just a 'soft' one? Thanks. Wish there was an easier way than yours, or messing with the fuse wiring. Is it?

Old 08-21-2023, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JCtx
Two questions: Is it the same thing on a '24 than your '14? And didn't you get a CEL, after getting that error on your dash? Or was it just a 'soft' one? Thanks. Wish there was an easier way than yours, or messing with the fuse wiring. Is it?
I don't know for sure if a '24 would be the same but I reckon it most likely is.
Yes, I get an error message if/when I hit exactly 100 mph (not often!), and the message is something like "spoiler inoperable", but no CEL or DTC. Of course I have a permanent DTC for the disconnected wiring plug.
This then restricts the top speed to 136 mph (not a biggie for me!) and the only way to remove the message is to stop the car and turn the engine off.
No easier or better way that I know of, if you read the thread that my linked post is in you will see that I researched long and hard before eventually finding that solution.
And no good pulling the fuse, yes there is a fuse for the spoiler motor but that same fuse is also used by the Dynamic mode - Ice/snow toggle switch.

Old 08-22-2023, 04:01 PM

Here's an SVR wing kit available .....it isn't cheap, but it may be one of the few chances you'll find to own one. I remember reading about this seller elsewhere on this site, and his reputation is good according to those that have dealt with him.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12533012102...Bk9SR8z3ze_DYg

Old 08-23-2023, 07:34 PM

Ouch, yep, expensive. Guess I need to think through this a bit and decide on which way is best.

thanks for the help!!!!!