F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reason why F Type is cheaper in America vs Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 11:39 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Don't underestimate the costs of having the car converted to Canadian specs. Have a chat with a dealer to get specifics.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sov211
Thanks for this information - the response you received definitely does suggest that the CPO warranty would be honoured in Canada on a car imported from the US. It is not necessary to have the speedometer changed by a Jaguar dealer in my experience (the only requirement being that the car have a metric speedometer) but because so many aspects of the car's running are governed by the instrument cluster, it might be prudent to do so. There may well be differences between the mechanical and running specifications of Canadian vs US cars that simply installing a Canadian market instrument cluster either would not work or would cause further issues. I explored this possibility with an X350 and my dealer told me that it could not/should not be done for the reason I have just given. Too bad.
I'm not sure how you got away with getting your modifications done at a non-Jaguar dealership, maybe they aren't as strict as it seems but I found the link that states all modifications must be done and documented at a Jaguar dealership. Every manufacturer has different rules that they state for importing vehicles, it is up to the manufacturer to decide the rules.

JAGUAR

Old 08-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Jaguar wants any modifications done at a Jaguar dealer - sure. But if honouring a warranty is not a concern (meaning, if the car is out of warranty) then registration of the car in Canada requires inspections both federal and provincial; the inspectors are concerned primarily about whether the car has the required items and has the items enabled: daytime running lights, tethering points for child car seats, metric speedometer...the cars I have imported have been out of warranty, thus, no problems.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

The term is Dumping from one perspective- and subsidy from another
Lesser economies like to bring in export dollars and understandably so. Its the only chance they have to compete with the economic juggernaut USA.

Essentially they forfeit some degree of profitability to subsidize USA.
America does it too- American made pharmaceuticals are a fraction of the cost across the border in either direction.

But they bitch that other countries do it more to USA. There is a cry that we are losing jobs to Iphones made in China. And indeed plans are in place to bring production back to USA. But the larger picture is missed: sure China makes $6 in total for every phone it makes- however.....

...Can we give an American $6 and get a phone out of him?
Would the iphone have even been successful if it cost what American laborers are paid and output?
Are we the beneficiaries in improved lifestyle if China is willing to sacrifice it's lifestyle to subsidize us.??

Brain exercises friends.

Oh p.s. you better play it safe for now and Buy British!! God Save the Queen.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Jaguar wants any modifications done at a Jaguar dealer - sure. But if honouring a warranty is not a concern (meaning, if the car is out of warranty) then registration of the car in Canada requires inspections both federal and provincial; the inspectors are concerned primarily about whether the car has the required items and has the items enabled: daytime running lights, tethering points for child car seats, metric speedometer...the cars I have imported have been out of warranty, thus, no problems.
I think the Op is worried about running afoul of this

Before You Import - Explanations on Mandatory Compliance

making the car non admissible to Canada.