Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations on Car Care - No Garage

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations on Car Care - No Garage

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum and have really enjoyed reading through several of the posts across a range of topics. I recently purchased a 2015 Jaguar F Type Coupe S in Dark Sapphire. I absolutely love the car! My challenge relates to daily exposure to the elements. I do not have a garage and the car is kept in my narrow driveway for a majority of the day. I do have a sun visor and park in a location where there's some shade although it's mostly exposed to sun on most days. It's not possible for me to build a car port in my driveway plus I'm sure I'll need a permit of some sort to add a structure even if it was possible. There are a few options that I'm thinking and would love to hear feedback from others who are in similar situations. Thank you!

1) Front and rockers PPF and ceramic coating on vehicle to limit dings when driving and reduce etching, scratches etc. from pollen, bugs, rain etc ~$3000
2) Purchase a small footprint retractable car port that can help limit exposure (this one looks interesting --> www.ikuby.com/) ~$850
3) Find a car storage unit to rent on a monthly vehicle and store vehicle there when I'm out of town or bad weather ~$150-200/month

Aside from moving to a house with a garage (which is not happening anytime soon), what do you all think? I'm thinking of option 1 and 2 although gets expensive and wife will likely not be happy with a retractable car port in our driveway that is on display 24/7.

George

Old 05-17-2018, 09:16 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Any friends with an extra garage space? Here in the Midwest, these "big box" homes are common and many of my homeowning friends have extra spaces.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:14 PM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default The sun will kill it

Nice car man!

Looks like you are in Atlanta. The sun will kill any car. It is especially hard on the rubber seals. I would move! Find a carport at least. The F -Type is too fine to bake it.

If you leased it, what the hell. but if you bought it......

Love that dark blue!

Old 05-17-2018, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

How about an attractive gazebo? You can hand retractable sunshades from it.
https://www.costco.com/14'-x-12'-Ced...100398384.html

Old 05-17-2018, 01:45 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
How about an attractive gazebo? You can hand retractable sunshades from it.
https://www.costco.com/14'-x-12'-Ced...100398384.html
That would most likely need a permit depending on the area of town around here. We are looking at putting up something kind of like this and since they are free standing (we'd find a way to anchor well obviously), they don't need permits. At least that's what we've been told by someone who works with that kind of stuff. The second example here we'd put something across the top to make it not open like that as well.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

Costco sells exactly what you are looking for
https://www.costco.com/Florence-Perg...100248394.html

Old 05-17-2018, 02:05 PM

Costco sells exactly what you are looking for
https://www.costco.com/Florence-Perg...100248394.html
That's pretty much what we are looking at (we have to get the slab poured first). Where I currently park to stay out from under the tree, there isn't room for any structure since the first 2/3 of our driveway is shared with our neighbor before branching. But yes, this with something water proof or solid across the top. This way it isn't technically a permanent structure, so no permit needed.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Dont fret the permit- its not really based on permanency of the structure. its to do with fire not jumping from one structure to the other and buildings not extending past allotted lines. (ask me how I know this*) So yes something that has no walls nor electric, nor things stored in it is of no concern to permit folks. Think of it this way, a tree is as permanent of a structure as they come- no permit needed.

*My neighbor put a storage shed 2 feet from my 6 car garage (i.e. expensive structure) he had rigged electric to it (buried raw roamex cable) and it was foot onto our property. I asked him to moved it and offered help. He told me he would sue me. So I went and found out from the permit office, then took my chainsaw and cut that ******* in half where it came over into our property. He has since moved.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:22 PM

Dont fret the permit- its not really based on permanency of the structure. its to do with fire not jumping from one structure to the other and buildings not extending past allotted lines. (ask me how I know this*) So yes something that has no walls nor electric, nor things stored in it is of no concern to permit folks. Think of it this way, a tree is as permanent of a structure as they come- no permit needed.

*My neighbor put a storage shed 2 feet from my 6 car garage (i.e. expensive structure) he had rigged electric to it (buried raw roamex cable) and it was foot onto our property. I asked him to moved it and offered help. He told me he would sue me. So I went and found out from the permit office, then took my chainsaw and cut that ******* in half where it came over into our property. He has since moved.
In Atlanta (within city limits) it's about permanent structures. And to get as much money as possible out of us. And for us, if you want to remove a tree, that does require a permit. If you build something (of a permanent nature), one of the many approvals needed is from the City Arborist stating that your structure will not impact the existing trees on your property. And we have many people around who love to get into everyone else's business and will report things if they don't see a permit posted. Not my immediate neighbors, but if someone is driving by, they can call it in and report you. Yes, you also have to have the required setbacks from property lines and all of that as well. If you're adding anything like electric, that's another permit and inspection. Unless you pay out all the right bribes to move things along, it takes forever to get anything built (and if they discover you've done it without a permit, they can require you to take it completely down, although usually if it passes inspection they will usually just issue a hefty fine).

Old 05-17-2018, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

The thing I love about buying things like this from costco is that they test the daylights out of things and stand behind it.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

what about a nice car cover? that's what I would get short of looking for a garage rental on craigslist.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
what about a nice car cover? that's what I would get short of looking for a garage rental on craigslist.
Good point if I can find one that will not damage the vehicle. I've heard that many of these covers do not hold up but that's perhaps due to people just keeping the covers on for prolonged periods of time. Appreciate the suggestion and will see if other have had good success with particular exterior covers.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

wtf ATL rep.....any of you v6s need a good dusting

that is after I get my baby re keyed

Old 05-19-2018, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I think the problem with car cover is the car should be wash clean, otherwise scratching paint could be an issue with constant on -off of a cover.