F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended checks for "new" 40K mile F-Type R

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 11:57 AM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Recommended checks for "new" 40K mile F-Type R

I just bought a 2015 F-Type R with 40K miles and in another thread, detailed how I found a suspected failed engine mount. Since the car will be going to a garage for that, and because the car is new to me (three days old), I thought I'd ask what else I should have the shop check for or replace. I know the shop will likely have their own ideas, but want to get a second set of opinions in case they try adding unnecessary tasks.

The point of having all this work done now is because the car's condition is nearly a complete unknown to me. Having this work done now gives some peace of mind and also somewhat "resets the clock" on wear items. That said, because I don't know these cars well, I may needlessly be including things that are not a concern at 40K, so keep that in mind.

My list:
  • Check and likely replace left engine mount
  • If left mount replaced, replace right mount as precaution
  • Flush/replace all fluids: coolant, brake, oil, transmission, differential, and supercharger
  • Inspect all hoses and belts, replace as necessary
  • Check hood alignment
  • Spark plugs?
  • Air filter?
  • Cabin filter?
The big/expensive question is the coolant Y-pipe under the supercharger (the car has the original two-piece pipe). I've read the threads here and since Jaguar ended up redesigning it, it "seems" like something that should be taken care of as a precaution.
  • If Y-pipe is to be replaced, also replace:
    • water pump
    • supercharger coupler/isolator?
    • other coolant lines?
    • anything else?
That's all I can think of right now. I plan to take the car in tomorrow, so please let me know if I'm either missing something, or can remove something as being unnecessary at 40K miles. Thanks, guys.

Edit: I learned that late last year it did have its last dealer service (7-year), but even then, no fluids were replaced, only topped off.

Last edited by kb58; 04-24-2022 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2022, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

You seem to have done your reading and research and have almost everything covered, much better than many newbies here!
My 2c:
- if for whatever reason the SC needs to come off then "while you are in there" replace ALL the plastic coolant tubes/pipes/hoses AND the SC coupler, and consider replacing the SC bearings as well. Of course replace the SC oil at the same time.
- yes, replace the water pump AND thermostat.
- spark plugs are not due until 6 years which you have reached, but in reality they last for 100,000 miles which you are well short of, so your choice.
- engine air filters (there are two of them) are due at four years or 64,000 miles so they may have been changed already but if not time to change them.
- cabin filter is due at two years or 32,000 miles so same again. This is a doddle to replace, 5 mins max, and they are freely and cheaply available at places like Rock Auto so I would DIY this.

The only important things left that you haven't mentioned are wheels, tyres and brakes.
Check the wheels for dings dents or buckles, get a wheel alignment, and closely inspect the tyres and brakes for uneven or excessive wear. If you have the lamentable P-Zeros get rid of them asap and swap to something decent like Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Consider getting new low dust brake pads (eg Porterfield R4-S) to replace the horribly dusty OEM pads.

The following users liked this post:
kb58 (04-24-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 08:39 PM

Is a typical shop capable of replacing the supercharger bearings, and is that a "thing" that needs doing in this mileage ballpark? I know what's involved and would be impressed if they could do it with typical shop tools, but maybe these supercharger bearings are easy to replace (meaning, no special jigs needed for pressing the bearings off and on)?

I did have Jaguar perform a PPI, but suspect all they do is cursory visuals. Tires are good condition Michelin PS4s, though Jag claimed that all four have exactly the same tread depth, uh, huh. Since they missed the engine mount issue, I'm not sure how much I trust their findings. Oh, and the last documented service record I have says that they "topped off" fluids... that's not good enough because it means that the bulk of the fluids may be as old as seven years, hence the total replacement request.

Brakes, that's the only thing that Jaguar mentioned as needing replacement soon, reporting that the fronts are down to 6mm - I've already ordered the Porterfield pads and will do those myself.

I'll remove the cabin filter off the list and add the other stuff, and thank you VERY much!

Old 04-24-2022, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I dunno about replacing the SC bearings but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that they need to be pressed out and then in so a shop with the right tools knowledge and experience is needed, maybe someone in the know can chime in here?
But with only 40k miles and no noises (yet) they probably don't need replacing, it's just another one of those things worth doing as preventative maintenance if the SC needs to come off anyway.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:15 AM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Eaton sells a front snout replacement kit for the TVS1950. If you don't hear loud marble style rattling in there, don't waste the money. It's a pretty thourough list. A full look over of underneath the car, bolts, suspension etc. Any gasket leaks will be obvious when they are replacing the motor mounts and they will have a good view of everything. Replace the spark plugs! You're in there!
If you paid a fair price and you have to put $5-7K into it to enjoy another 5 years of maintenance free fun, ITS WORTH IT! Great ****ing car.
That's about it! ENJOY!
Welcome to the Club!

kb58 (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Get the SC snout replaced if making noise. Otherwise Forget changing the blower bearings, if they need changing you will know! But do consider changing the SC oil as that is a maintenance item that is not done very often because of how hard it is to do.

You mentioned the number one item and that's the water pump. With 40K miles I would not be surprised if this has already been changed? The latest version is part # 3909 if you do need to get it done when you do the plastic cooling items. Also add the rear water manifold to your sure to fail plastic cooling items. Since your planning to change the "Y" pipe anyway that requires the SC to be removed which would be a great time to swap the SC oil out and now you have good access to do that rear water manifold too.

kb58 (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 10:56 AM

Will do, thanks!