F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

regaining 'snap crackle and pop' in V6S after O2 sensor campaign

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 01:32 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default regaining 'snap crackle and pop' in V6S after O2 sensor campaign

I know that some have posted about the ability for some manner of software update to regain at least some of the 'snap crackle and pop' from the exhaust after the nightmare of the O2 sensor debacles. However, it seems that it is always associated with the 8-cylinder.

I did not have the 309 update but rather was subjected to Service Action K433NAS1- Heated Oxygen Sensors that involved the actual replacement of two of the O2 sensors.

Does that same update described for the eight-cyl models work on the V6S or is there a different document I should be referencing if my service guy cannot immediately locate something.

The car goes back in tomorrow so that they can address all of the things they botched on the interior. It would be nice to be able to pick it up and have my popping exhaust back...

Old 12-12-2017, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I have a very quiet F-type, I did not get the full extend of snaps and pops after the update. My dealer tells me I am at the latest patch level. If anyone has any additional suggestions, please let me know.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:30 PM

It is back in as of this morning...time will tell how it plays out. There are A LOT of issues for them to address and, as annoying as this one is, the damage to the extended leather package components and the 'clunk' on shift are far higher on the list.

The initial guess offered is that the idiots used tire dressing (ie. armor all) on the leather.

The did confirm the noise under the center console within minutes of my having left in the loaner...they are not sure if it was heat shield or something else.

They were certainly aware that I am NOT a happy camper right now...

Old 12-13-2017, 12:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not good to hear................would you care to share the rough location of the dealer, so that I can avoid it in future.
I had mine into the most easterly one, and they kept it for 3 weeks to fix a faulty fuel gauge, changed out the 02 sensors, and I'm pretty sure mine has also become less vocal................ :O(

Old 12-14-2017, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Pop fix was for V8S

Old 12-14-2017, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by magredvet
Not good to hear................would you care to share the rough location of the dealer, so that I can avoid it in future.
I'm not ready to drop them in the grease like that...they know I am not happy and they are in the midst of trying to make things right. The issues that resulted in it going back are partially their fault and partially NOT their fault. They didn't write the programming on the exhaust...

I've had no problems with the location in the past and they have taken care of four other Jags in the family, to include having provided me loaners on the 15 year old X-Type when it had gone in for work.

Now...if things do not turn out well...all bets are off.

bjg's comments are disappointing...curious whether that is part of why two days have now elapsed with no update saying 'you can pick it up tomorrow.'

Old 12-15-2017, 05:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Understood. However if they are indeed a "good' dealer, and you've otherwise been happy with them, would you mind PM'ing me their location, as I was sorely disappointed in the one I used, and I may need some warranty work done before it runs out.
Thanks

Old 12-18-2017, 02:11 PM

Picked it back up a little while ago. They are adamant that the O2 sensor campaign performed on mine is a hardware-only process. That is to say, no changes to programming and the ONLY thing done is changing out the two heated sensors.

My service guy is still working on trying to track down resolution but noted that during his drives (looks like they put about 20 or so miles on it), it seemed to get 'louder' as it warmed up. Unfortunately, not only was it raining when I went to pick it up, but he had three appointments descend upon him all at once and a driver who was late returning from lunch that was supposed to drive someone back to their house. I would have called BS except I was there to see chaos descending upon him...

If this is truly a sensor-only change, then the new sensors are altering the signals that go back to the computer and helped with the snap, crackle and pop. He agrees that there was a software change available for the V8 but has not heard of anything for the V6...but he is also going to keep looking into it and also seems amenable to pushing for some manner of formal approval on the Velocity tune if that is truly the only way to get my vehicle back on par with how I took delivery (and when they push back on that, he will suggest they simply go back to the original O2 sensors).

Since it was raining on the way back to the office, I was dodging idiot drivers...Houston is like many other places where you just need to add water to get instant dumbassery on the roads. However, as I coasted off at one of the exits, I did eventually get some 'run on' that led to popping. The next few weeks will confirm whether any of this may return just by burning in the replacement sensors...

Old 12-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If it was anything like my car, you are now proud owner of quietest F-type on the road.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I keep saying it, it's time for pitch forks and torches, folks. Jag can't ignore us all.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Why don't all the affected owners write a joint letter addressed to Jaguar customer service in the UK (don't go to US) or better still, a technical group within Jaguar if possible noting the loss of overrun after software / hardware upgrades and ask for a formal written response?

If enough names are on the letter it may force them to dig deeper into the issue rather than just writing ot off as one owner imagining things.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:51 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sign me up. I just said whatever and ordered velocity 200 sport cats and downpipe. Should be here in two days.

If if you want to know my story just go read the snap crackle pop rice crispies thread...