Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 09:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Reliability

Hello all
I presently own a 2015 F Type 6 cyl with 30000 miles. I have not had a single issue in 6+ years however I have a couple of friends with F Types of the same era that have been nightmares. I am thinking of purchasing a 2017 model and would like to know if I'm likely to get one like mine or is Jaguar quality a problem. I intend to keep my 2015.
Thnx

Old 07-31-2020, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gmarand11
Hello all
I presently own a 2015 F Type 6 cyl with 30000 miles. I have not had a single issue in 6+ years however I have a couple of friends with F Types of the same era that have been nightmares. I am thinking of purchasing a 2017 model and would like to know if I'm likely to get one like mine or is Jaguar quality a problem. I intend to keep my 2015.
Thnx
Do they also have the v6? And do they drive it often?

Old 08-01-2020, 04:24 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Hello all
Thnx
If your friends bought used they'll be picking up any abuse previous owners have perpetrated. My experiences with Jaguar are similar to yours, the F-Type is my 4th Jaguar (previously had XK8 and 2 XKRs) and, while they've not been entirely trouble-free, they've been reliable and never let me down. Some drivers seem to attract problems, which may be their lack of mechanical sympathy - I've known folks who always have problems with their vehicles, regardless of make.

So, bottom line, IME Jaguars are no worse than other makes for reliability so do your due diligence before purchasing and you should be fine.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:45 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

I would tend to agree with your comment. Cars in general require maintenance some simple and some not so simple.

Non-car people tend to drive their cars until there is a problem.
They also tend to ignore warnings that the vehicle is in need of service. They do this for a multitude of reasons, financial and lack of trust of the automotive service industry as a whole.
Mostly just pure lack of knowledge of how cars mechanically function.

Buying a used performance car like an F type can be a slippery slope. Unless you know or know someone that knows the previous owner its very hard to judge how hard a car has been driven.
Even low mileage cars can be abused. Interiors and exteriors can be cleaned to make the cars look like they were only driven on Sunday by " a little old lady back and forth to church" Ha!

People tend to buy used into higher end cars Like BMW, Jaguars and Mercedes and not realize they are more expensive to maintain and repair.
Things like electronics and adaptive suspension just to mention a few things can be crazy expensive to repair if you have a failure.

My experience with my 2004 XJ8 was a positive one, I owned it for 12 years though I never drove it in the winter (snow). I did have the air suspension pump and a front shock fail.
water pump and the head liner needed replacing. Had a few other minor things but I would not say the car was problematic like my BMW 740i.

Complaints relative to a particular brand when its a used car should be looked more closely at the specific problem and is there a history with many other cars of the same MY and make.
Otherwise you can be painting something with a very broad brush, without know how well the car was taken care of by previous owner or owners?

All anybody can do when buying a used car is educate themselves on the make and model they are buying and make the decision that is best for them.
Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. That's the way life in general can be... Sometime your the bug sometimes your the windshield!

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (08-01-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 12:48 PM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

I am a fiend about maintaining my f-type. Oil changes every 3000 miles, trans and diff fluid changes, coolant every 2 years. But... I still had a crack in a coolant line under the supercharger which resulted in extreme overheat / engine failure on an out of warranty 2014 v8 s. Also a diff failure. The coolant hose is a known issue, and diff problems are not uncommon. That said, after some deliberation, I did pay for a used motor and diff to get the car back on the road. Why? Because I simply don't want to drive anything else. I love the car. I bought it knowing there were risks and welcoming them. I like the time I spend with hot oil dripping on my face. I read a post on this forum from I don't remember who which said "you don't choose the f-type, the f-type chooses you". This was certainly true for me. Honestly, nobody NEEDS a sports car and I suppose If I wanted to be prudent, I'd be driving a Miata.

Old 08-07-2020, 02:06 AM
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ferrral
I am a fiend about maintaining my f-type. Oil changes every 3000 miles, trans and diff fluid changes, coolant every 2 years. But... I still had a crack in a coolant line under the supercharger which resulted in extreme overheat / engine failure on an out of warranty 2014 v8 s. Also a diff failure. The coolant hose is a known issue, and diff problems are not uncommon. That said, after some deliberation, I did pay for a used motor and diff to get the car back on the road. Why? Because I simply don't want to drive anything else. I love the car. I bought it knowing there were risks and welcoming them. I like the time I spend with hot oil dripping on my face. I read a post on this forum from I don't remember who which said "you don't choose the f-type, the f-type chooses you". This was certainly true for me. Honestly, nobody NEEDS a sports car and I suppose If I wanted to be prudent, I'd be driving a Miata.
Well said. Good to see another F-Type driver around Pleasanton. Currently in SJ but it's my hometown, small world!

Old 08-07-2020, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Hello all
Thnx
I don't know why you would need two F-types, while I am quite found of mine, two F-types isn't double the fun. Keep your reliable F-type, it is good thing and you don't want it to stop. Get another exciting car so you have more options.

Consider one of the following: 911, Nissan GT-R, C7 Corvette, Mercedes AMG.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

2015 R here. Possibly the most reliable car I've had in 12-15 years.

Old 08-08-2020, 03:28 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
2015 R here. Possibly the most reliable car I've had in 12-15 years.
While I agree with your sentiments, that'd carry more weight if you told us which other cars you've had - a fleet of eastern european dustbins, or "real" cars.