F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How reliable is your F so far.
Perfect in every way.
23.91%
One or two minor niggles fixed quickly by dealer
52.17%
Quite a lot of niggles or 1 or 2 significant issues but fixed
13.04%
1 or 2 ongoing significant issues without clear resolution
4.35%
It's a lemon
6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reliability Poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 12:34 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Reliability Poll

Thought it might be interesting to get a quick straw poll of owners here on their ownership experience so far. Mine is three years old and only a couple of minor issues quickly fixed.

Last edited by AnD3rew; 01-27-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:18 AM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

From a drivetrain standpoint, the engine and transmission have been solid. I continue to struggle with Jaguar's quality control from loose panels, creaking, rattling, wiring clips that weren't secured. My girlfriend's 2004 Toyota Corolla with 140000 miles doesn't emit a single creak or rattle.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zero Issues - 2017 R

Took delivery on 11/9/16 and no issues at all. First car I purchased that had zero defects. Hope it stays that way!!!

Old 01-27-2017, 10:56 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Cannot respond to the poll as my answer is not there. One or two issues that I have not yet taken to the dealer.

Larry

Old 01-27-2017, 04:42 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm going to complain because I don't think anyone will understand except for you guys with issues with your car.

I am this close to giving up on the car. I love love love the design of the car but I have learned that Jaguar, to me has probably the worst quality control for a car at $100k, for its class and for its segment.

Got the car 6 months ago, this is probably the 12th time in the shop. The latest issue, fuel neck has been replaced, did not fix the problem, now is current in the shop again, can't figure it out, currently waiting on answer from TA.

Stereo got the software update, a couple weeks later, rear passenger speaker starts rattling heavily. Dealer said it's the type of music that I listen to...

I'm starting to think this car might be a mistake. It certainly has brought more headaches than enjoyment.

Am I the only one feeling this way?

#fixitjesus

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 07:08 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
From a drivetrain standpoint, the engine and transmission have been solid. I continue to struggle with Jaguar's quality control from loose panels, creaking, rattling, wiring clips that weren't secured. My girlfriend's 2004 Toyota Corolla with 140000 miles doesn't emit a single creak or rattle.
This is the boat I'm in. From a primary driveability standpoint I really don't have any concerns. It's all the minor issues with fit and finish, premature material wear, electrical doodads, and little motorized nonsense that worries me. I've had about 7k in warranty work performed on items like that and that's in my relatively short time period as the 2nd owner.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I will say I went into Jaguar expecting the car to catch on fire at some point in its life; but I've been very pleasantly surprised. Now Jaguar USA does have the absolute worst customer service known to man, but if I don't have any warranty issues, I don't really have to deal with them.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Cannot respond to the poll as my answer is not there. One or two issues that I have not yet taken to the dealer.

Larry
I'm with Larry, I can't answer yet.
I bought my S coupe when it was already 2 years old and with 27,200 km on the clock, and it was absolutely perfect other than one problem - a very noisy and rattly engine at start up. This issue has been diagnosed by the local dealer as the dreaded torsion isolator rattle, and they have agreed to fix it under warranty. How that ends up is yet to be decided, but I expect it will be 100% fixed and 100% FOC.
I have no idea what problems the previous owner may or may not have had, there are no reports on Topix and no paperwork other than the 12 month routine service.
The car was originally a dealer demo so I suspect if there was anything wrong with it the original dealer got it fixed.
I have the 770W Meridian Surround Sound system and it doesn't have any of the commonly reported problems, it sounds great to me.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I will say I went into Jaguar expecting the car to catch on fire at some point in its life; but I've been very pleasantly surprised. .
+1. A number of people on the forum were forecasting a thermo-nuclear blast if anyone attempted to pulley and tune the V6 in particular. Other than the initial clutch design issue, just minor stuff.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 588 Likes on 401 Posts

No big problems here. Wish my Lexus had been as trouble (and rattle) free.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:45 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Two and a half years, no problems with my 2015 F type R.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:21 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I continue to have minor issues and am mindful that bodywork and components are poorly put together with misalignments, glitches and a general sense that worker indifference probably lies at the root of the problems. I will say that Jaguar USA is infinitely better than Audi of America in terms of customer service. I bought my TT 'iPhone integrated' only to discover that it plugged in and could play only a few of the tunes that were formatted and referenced to a random number on the electronic interface.
Not only did Audi not solve the problem but they refused to discuss it saying it wasn't their problem. I had a similar experience with a tire problem - all while under warranty. Fortunately the car is built well but I would not like to have an Audi that was a problem. At least Jaguar listens and, the car is so cool.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by AbyJag
At least Jaguar listens
Jaguar listens or your dealer listens? Because those are two completely different things. And the former has absolutely not listened ever in my experience.

The only person who ever even tried to help me at Jaguar when my car was "missing" was Ryan on this forum.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:41 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

For those with a couple of issues they haven't taken to the dealer yet maybe choose 1 or two issues but fixed if you think they are easy fix issues, or 1 or two ongoing issues if you think they may be more complex and respond just to keep the poll rolling.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:36 AM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tn.dn
I'm going to complain because I don't think anyone will understand except for you guys with issues with your car.

I am this close to giving up on the car. I love love love the design of the car but I have learned that Jaguar, to me has probably the worst quality control for a car at $100k, for its class and for its segment.

Got the car 6 months ago, this is probably the 12th time in the shop. The latest issue, fuel neck has been replaced, did not fix the problem, now is current in the shop again, can't figure it out, currently waiting on answer from TA.

Stereo got the software update, a couple weeks later, rear passenger speaker starts rattling heavily. Dealer said it's the type of music that I listen to...

I'm starting to think this car might be a mistake. It certainly has brought more headaches than enjoyment.

Am I the only one feeling this way?

#fixitjesus
You are not alone. I'm in the same boat, probably 10 times in the shop in past year since having it, at least 6 weeks of shop time, not including current visit which is closing on a week already.

I've just started the lemon law process and will see what Jag NA will reply within 30 days.

Stereo, countless different rattles/creak/ticks/poor quality, dead battery, check engine light, brakes, fuel neck, parking sensor. I love the design, the sound, the steering, the feel, but the other issues drive me crazy most other times. The fact that the dealership is downright awful complements the bad ownership experience. Like when they accidentally slashed a massive chunk of my driver seat leather and didn't bother telling me, or when they keep the car for days and over the weekend and don't bother to update me, or when they tell me it's my music that's the problem, or when they say I'm too picky, or ask me to go to a different dealership and the closest is over 1h drive each away, or when I reserve a loaner and they mistakenly don't have one once I arrive, or when I make an appointment but I still have to wait a long time, or when I get the car back and they forget to wash it and it's covered in a thick layer of dust as if it came back from Mars, or when they never give F-Type loaners and I pay for an F-Type and drive a crappy Discovery Sport, or when I make an appointment for specific service and after I drop off the car I'm later told they're busy and can't look at it until at least 3 days later, or when they never seem to give a crap about customer service. JNA Customer Service was initially awful and slow, though recently with a Supervisor at least they're much more polite and willing to push the dealership, though things move very very slowly..

I'll have to write a full post with my experience, and a crappy Yelp review for the dealership.

Last edited by pistol; 01-28-2017 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:52 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

I am in the same boat as well. Had the car in already 6 times. (a) door/panel rattles (never properly addressed), (b) exhaust replacement due to faulty valves, (c) dead battery replacement (after 2-3 days of no driving the battery is dead), (d) where rear fender and bumper meets shifts causing the paint to crack and peel (fix, but it returned within a week), (e) fuel neck replacement (replaced but still cannot fill up without the pump clicking off), (f) A/C vents making noise when on full strength and both head and feet vents are activated (not addressed yet), (g) weird electrical problems: (i) windows doesn't always auto roll up when clicked, need to hold the switch the entire time (ii) often the car does not respond to the fob open/lock commands.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. A number of people on the forum were forecasting a thermo-nuclear blast if anyone attempted to pulley and tune the V6 in particular. Other than the initial clutch design issue, just minor stuff.
LOL Lance,

I don't recall the dire predictions, but yes, there were some reasons to believe that the V6 was close to maxed out, and legit questions were being asked. Thanks in large part to Velocity AP, many concerns were alleviated, and if I'd kept mine, I'd almost certainly be running their V6 tune. However, I opted for a lighter car with more naturally-aspirated OEM power, which I've always preferred over forced-induction.

Nonetheless, the jury is still out on the long-term reliability of tuned vs. untuned engines. No predictions on that, and only time will tell.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

I've only had a few "niggles" in the 13 months I've had it:
- tiny paint defect and minor panel fitment issues - fixed
- radiator failure at 83 miles (first the dealer heard of - were told by factory to ship defective radiator immediately to factory). I looked at it as a chance to try out the roadside assistance (from my garage) - very painless and professional experience.
- convertible top rattle after about 5000 miles - fixed
- fuel neck issue - fixed

Each time in, I have been given a loaner (XJL, XF, XE). Nice cars but I totally appreciate the F each time I get it back.

Overall I'm very pleased!

Old 01-28-2017, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Nonetheless, the jury is still out on the long-term reliability of tuned vs. untuned engines. No predictions on that, and only time will tell.
+1. I am certain it will affect longevity. The question is by how much. I was also referring to the early presumptions that all V6 F-Type fires were due to tunes and pulleys.

If the engine does fail at some point, it's just an opportunity to change the internals to beefier forged components.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:18 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Just celebrated 2nd anniversary of car's birth at Castle Bromwich, my delivery anniversary will be 2 years on February 20th, 14,000 miles covered:
2 problems: rattle/buzz speaker replaced under warranty a year ago and over the summer the car became incontinent (not house broken): small amounts of coolant appearing under the car. Fixed under warranty.
2 software updates, sound system sounds better after it was updated, I seem to have the common problem of a "quieter car" with fewer crackles and pops after the ECU software update.
I had HORRIBLE service from my old Jaguar dealer (X-Type Sportwagon), I tested my purchase dealer with 2 visits with my old Jag before I ordered from them, NO dealer service issues to report (Ray Catena in NJ is a quality operation and Ray is a huge car guy with an amazing personal collection of vehicles).
I am a bit concerned about how all the electronics and technology will hold up after 5+ years and the warranty is over. But then I might be ready to swap the Rhodium Silver and Cirrus for a BRG - Camel colored coupe -- with exactly the same options I have now...