F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How reliable is your F so far.
Perfect in every way.
23.91%
One or two minor niggles fixed quickly by dealer
52.17%
Quite a lot of niggles or 1 or 2 significant issues but fixed
13.04%
1 or 2 ongoing significant issues without clear resolution
4.35%
It's a lemon
6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reliability Poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 05:38 PM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
I am in the same boat as well. Had the car in already 6 times. (a) door/panel rattles (never properly addressed), (b) exhaust replacement due to faulty valves, (c) dead battery replacement (after 2-3 days of no driving the battery is dead), (d) where rear fender and bumper meets shifts causing the paint to crack and peel (fix, but it returned within a week), (e) fuel neck replacement (replaced but still cannot fill up without the pump clicking off), (f) A/C vents making noise when on full strength and both head and feet vents are activated (not addressed yet), (g) weird electrical problems: (i) windows doesn't always auto roll up when clicked, need to hold the switch the entire time (ii) often the car does not respond to the fob open/lock commands.
Welcome to the boat. For the dead battery, do you get frequent low battery warnings too? Did you ever connect anything to the OBD2 port?

For the windows auto roll up, if you or the dealer ever swapped/unplugged the battery, there's a special procedure you need to do to get the windows to roll up, from what I read on the forums, you can search for it.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:49 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Probably not very scientific but interesting so far, if you read the comments you get a bit down on the car, but so far the poll results show a reasonable but not stellar performance. Probably roughly 70% perfect or only minor issues. Roughly 30% with more serious problems, but of those the same proportions go to the fixed rather than the unresolved.

Edited to add that it is probably reflective of my own JLR experience.

I have had three Land Rovers and 1 Jag (I won't count the series 3 XJ6 which was 20 years old when I bought it)

The first Land Rover was perfect until I threw a timing belt at 3 years and destroyed the motor, was dramatic but was fixed under warranty. The second one was a lemon, the third has been as close to perfect as possible. The Jag has been great.

Last edited by AnD3rew; 01-28-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:11 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by pistol
For the windows auto roll up, if you or the dealer ever swapped/unplugged the battery, there's a special procedure you need to do to get the windows to roll up, from what I read on the forums, you can search for it.
The window reset procedure is also in your manual.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:12 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

You are not alone. I'm in the same boat, probably 10 times in the shop in past year since having it, at least 6 weeks of shop time, not including current visit which is closing on a week already.

I've just started the lemon law process and will see what Jag NA will reply within 30 days.

Stereo, countless different rattles/creak/ticks/poor quality, dead battery, check engine light, brakes, fuel neck, parking sensor. I love the design, the sound, the steering, the feel, but the other issues drive me crazy most other times. The fact that the dealership is downright awful complements the bad ownership experience. Like when they accidentally slashed a massive chunk of my driver seat leather and didn't bother telling me, or when they keep the car for days and over the weekend and don't bother to update me, or when they tell me it's my music that's the problem, or when they say I'm too picky, or ask me to go to a different dealership and the closest is over 1h drive each away, or when I reserve a loaner and they mistakenly don't have one once I arrive, or when I make an appointment but I still have to wait a long time, or when I get the car back and they forget to wash it and it's covered in a thick layer of dust as if it came back from Mars, or when they never give F-Type loaners and I pay for an F-Type and drive a crappy Discovery Sport, or when I make an appointment for specific service and after I drop off the car I'm later told they're busy and can't look at it until at least 3 days later, or when they never seem to give a crap about customer service. JNA Customer Service was initially awful and slow, though recently with a Supervisor at least they're much more polite and willing to push the dealership, though things move very very slowly..

I'll have to write a full post with my experience, and a crappy Yelp review for the dealership.
I honestly don't want to look into lemon law but I'm afraid I might have to. This went from a dream car to almost a nightmare. As sad as that sounds.

I tried living with all the issues, but **** if I can't put gas into the car, how the hell am I going to drive it?

Old 01-28-2017, 06:13 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Nonetheless, the jury is still out on the long-term reliability of tuned vs. untuned engines. No predictions on that, and only time will tell.
I think Lance will tell. Or are you calling him Father Time? Safe to say he doesn't baby his car.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by TR64ever
But then I might be ready to swap the Rhodium Silver and Cirrus for a BRG - Camel colored coupe -- with exactly the same options I have now...
Unfortunately, by that time, it won't be the same car and won't offer the same options (different packs).

Old 01-29-2017, 03:21 PM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Welcome to the boat. For the dead battery, do you get frequent low battery warnings too? Did you ever connect anything to the OBD2 port?

I did connect access the obd2 port when I turned the car and I have a Navdy HUD navigation system which is connected constantly to that OBD2 port. I got the battery replaced last week and I haven't seen the low battery warning sense but not sure if this fix is permanent. It could end up draining again if accessing the obd2 is the cause. I might have to abandon the Navdy HUD.

The window reset procedure worked. The window is now functioning properly. One problem down.

I finally found a correlation with the garage opener. If I start my car remotely from the app it appears the home link will not work. If I turn off and on the car the garage door opener will again function properly.

Last edited by zmoothg; 01-29-2017 at 03:24 PM.