Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remapping V6 to become V6S

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remapping V6 to become V6S

Hi all
Considering the insane price difference (28,000 €) between V6 base and V6S in my country, I consider buying a base model and then have the ECU remapped to V6S performance level (no need to exceed it).

1. Do you guys have experience with this?
2. Do you know if it is possible that tuners remap to exact V6S spec, e.g. copy-paste from a V6S?
3. Would it be technically possible to install a after-market V6S ECU to obtain the same result?

Of course I take into account:
- warranty issue, so may delay remap towards end of warranty period
- V6S goodies like adaptive suspension and limited slip dif that I would miss - for me no big deal. Other options like active exhaust and 19" I would put on the base anyway.

Hopefully I find a solution, because fell in love with the F type coupe...

Old 07-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Without the adaptive suspension, you might not like 19" wheels. The convertible I test drove on 19" had a significantly worse ride than the V8R on 20" wheels.

Try asking a Jaguar dealer if they'll fix it for you.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 411 Posts

Likely it is different module hardware than the standard version and that would make the software incompatible. Also finding someone to flash it for you would be next to impossible. You'd likely need to do a custom tune, and of course you'd miss out on many of the features of the v6s

Old 07-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 204 Posts

I have tuned a few of them with the Rica tune which brings the car to 398hp. It is quite an improvement.
http://www.rica.nl/index.php

Old 07-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Redmirror
Do you know if it is possible that tuners remap to exact V6S spec, e.g. copy-paste from a V6S?
It is not that simple. The V6-S has different supercharger pressure and final drive ratio from the V6, so you cannot just take the ECU map from the V6-S and apply it to the V6. See this.

You may want to note that the engines really only product different power at the top end of the dyno curve. See this. So unless you plan to operate your car inside that top range it may not make that much of a difference.

There are several companies working on ECU maps and also ECU+pulley kits for the V6 base.
OE Tuning, Eurocharged, and the EC Tuning group all have products either available or under development.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

The boost is controlled by the ECU. If you look at the RICA website you will. see.
Rica Engineering Chiptuning

Old 07-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
The boost is controlled by the ECU. If you look at the RICA website you will. see.
Can you confirm that the pulleys are identical between the V6 and V6S?

Old 07-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Yes they are I measured them when the cars first came out. The ECU bleeds off boost to control boost. That is one of the reasons we get such an increase on the 5.0 cars.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Yes they are I measured them when the cars first came out. The ECU bleeds off boost to control boost. That is one of the reasons we get such an increase on the 5.0 cars.
That's very helpful, thanks!
In this case, the ECU map should be a lot more straightforward. Do you have the torque and HP curves for the ECU remap versus the original?

Old 07-25-2014, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by schraderade
That's very helpful, thanks!
In this case, the ECU map should be a lot more straightforward. Do you have the torque and HP curves for the ECU remap versus the original?

http://www.ricaserver.com/ricaweb/dy...78&language=EN

Old 08-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tuned a few of them with the Rica tune which brings the car to 398hp. It is quite an improvement.
1) The difference is noticeable?

2) The V6 performance should be close to the V6S... did you test it?

3) Any dyno or test apart from the RICA.NL chart?

4) The file transfer via OBD is easy?

Thank you!!

Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by javol
1) The difference is noticeable? It is obvious as soon as you step on the gas.

2) The V6 performance should be close to the V6S... did you test it? Side by side on the highway they were the same.

3) Any dyno or test apart from the RICA.NL chart? Not on the V6 we have done extensive dyno testing on the V8.

4) The file transfer via OBD is easy? It involves a simple read of your car & then later a new file written for your specific vin.

Thank you!!
see above

Old 08-04-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Link doesnt work for me. Just get a bunch of gibberish.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see above
Thank you!

Old 08-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek
Link doesnt work for me. Just get a bunch of gibberish.
The link doesn't work for me either and is also just gibberish.

As Schraderade posted the OEM torque curve for the two V6 engines showing little or no difference until near the rev limit, I can't imagine why anyone would do this based upon what I've seen. Not only would it void the warranty, I've not seen anything that documents a significant benefit. Several F-Type reviews have noted the same thing with regard to the two engines.

Perhaps if a readable link to the Rica torque curve could be posted, it would be worth a look.

Obviously, there are other differences in equipage between the base and V6S that might make a difference to some (not me) justifying the price difference, but until persuaded otherwise, I can't see risking an ECU reflash.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
The link doesn't work for me either and is also just gibberish.

As Schraderade posted the OEM torque curve for the two V6 engines showing little or no difference until near the rev limit, I can't imagine why anyone would do this based upon what I've seen. Not only would it void the warranty, I've not seen anything that documents a significant benefit. Several F-Type reviews have noted the same thing with regard to the two engines.

Perhaps if a readable link to the Rica torque curve could be posted, it would be worth a look.

Obviously, there are other differences in equipage between the base and V6S that might make a difference to some (not me) justifying the price difference, but until persuaded otherwise, I can't see risking an ECU reflash.
Go to the Rica website & have a look. I just clicked on the link & see the graph. I am not sure why it is not readable to you. I can only say it is a quite noticeable improvement.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Will do, thanks. Tried it several times, and no luck. I've seen this a few times when viewing from an Apple vs. PC machine.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

I went directly to the Rica website, and punched in my vehicle info to find it there. Indeed, that is quite an impressive difference! Perhaps at the end of the warranty I can see being very interested in this, but I'd like to follow any possible reliability consequences over the next couple of years.

I've been an enthusiast for many years now, and extra boost always creates some consequences. It's just a question of how much, and whether the risk is worth the reward.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Figured it out. The link *only* works with Internet Explorer. Doesn't work with Firefox, Chrome or Safari.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Here are the curves from the website for the base V-6.
Note that the recommended octane rating for the ECU is 98 RON (equivalent to 93 US octane rating). At least in California, that octane grade is not commonly available.

USA (AKI/PON) --- Europe (RON) conversion
  • 87 = 91
  • 89 = 93
  • 91 = 95
  • 93 = 98

The supercharger torque curves are really interesting. I note that the torque curve starts maximizing in the 2500 to 3000rpm band.
When the transmission is not in sport mode, I find that the transmission often shifts around or below that range. That may be for fuel economy reasons, but it'd be nice if it were more aggressive. For this reason, i've been driving mainly in sport mode even when cruising around the city.

Attached Thumbnails Remapping V6 to become V6S-capture.png