F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote App Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 08:19 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Remote App Issues

More often than not the remote app tells me my car is driving when it is parked and none of the remote controls are available. It happens usually when it's parked in the garage but isn't that when I'd most often want to remote start climate control? The location is also wrong but it claims it is connected and updating. Any fixes?

Old 03-27-2024, 04:22 AM
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

Your '17 is on 2G and the connection to the APP is fairly unreliable. I have deleted all my 2G cars from the APP. The '18 35t which is 4G sometimes works well but sometimes the onboard telematics system goes into sleep mode and is unavailable. Basically, JLR's system is rubbish when compared to OnStar or a Compustar aftermarket system.

Old 03-27-2024, 05:13 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
... but sometimes the onboard telematics system goes into sleep mode and is unavailable.
The F-Type goes to sleep after about 4 days to preserve electrons - there's a "wake-up" option in the app to revive it if you know when you want to use the car again (but it has to be set within 48 hours of driving the car).

Old 03-27-2024, 07:13 AM

Your '17 is on 2G and the connection to the APP is fairly unreliable. I have deleted all my 2G cars from the APP. The '18 35t which is 4G sometimes works well but sometimes the onboard telematics system goes into sleep mode and is unavailable. Basically, JLR's system is rubbish when compared to OnStar or a Compustar aftermarket system.
That seems to be it. It is functioning at work because it can establish a connection but not in my garage because of the roof/location. Although even when I start it at work the app says it failed but when I get to my car it's running...

Old 03-27-2024, 07:36 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Brian-I had asked this question and never received a response so good to see people chiming in yet not really a solution. I have a 2016 and in the last 6 months it has stopped working and always shows driving. Also check what mileage it shows on the app. Mine is off since the last time it connected was months ago. I contacted JLR and if you want to PM me, I can send you what they sent me as the fix. I have tried it twice with no luck. Maybe I am doing something wrong although it seems like a simple process. My app started behaving like you said and then just ultimately stopped connecting.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
Brian-I had asked this question and never received a response so good to see people chiming in yet not really a solution. I have a 2016 and in the last 6 months it has stopped working and always shows driving. Also check what mileage it shows on the app. Mine is off since the last time it connected was months ago. I contacted JLR and if you want to PM me, I can send you what they sent me as the fix. I have tried it twice with no luck. Maybe I am doing something wrong although it seems like a simple process. My app started behaving like you said and then just ultimately stopped connecting.
I think the answer is the app is just garbage and older f-types are not really supported. My mileage, location, etc updates correctly at work but not at home. It says updated "just now" every time I open the app. The only issue is it says "remote start failed" when I attempt to start the car, even when it works. When I restart the app though it will show the car was started. Jaguar just said to update software which I don't want to do and seems like a cop-out answer.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:56 AM
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

There is an update for the APP that just dropped this morning. If you have an iPhone I recommend you also give it a power down restart every month. Seems to help in general.
Them telling you to “update” the software on the car is total BS. A) The dealerships are loath to just through an update at the car without JLR’s blessing because there is the very real possibility that an errant update could brick the car and the dealership would be responsible for unbricking it per JLR policy.
And B) What update would there be for a 3G telematics module when the 3G is dead and the 2G will last how much longer?

Old 03-27-2024, 09:07 AM

There is an update for the APP that just dropped this morning. If you have an iPhone I recommend you also give it a power down restart every month. Seems to help in general.
Them telling you to “update” the software on the car is total BS. A) The dealerships are loath to just through an update at the car without JLR’s blessing because there is the very real possibility that an errant update could brick the car and the dealership would be responsible for unbricking it per JLR policy.
And B) What update would there be for a 3G telematics module when the 3G is dead and the 2G will last how much longer?
Exactly. Since "you need to update" is the answer for every clueless customer service agent/IT department since the beginning of time I just ignore those suggestions now. Do you know what 2G service the 2017 f-types use? I thought they used AT&T but they have already shutdown their 2G network. If it does use AT&T then it wouldn't work at all I assume. T-Mobile will shut theirs down on 4/2. Any ideas when my remote service will stop working completely? It's pretty crazy that Jaguar is asking me to renew the service next month if it will stop working soon.