Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal and reinstall of window surrounds & door mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 04:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal and reinstall of window surrounds & door mirrors

Hi,

Many people want to wrap their chrome. I'd like to remove the window surrounds to have them wrapped. I'm thinking the door mirrors need to come off to remove the window scraper sections.

Can somebody please advise if they have done this and how?

If anyone can post the relevant Topix articles that would be great.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,662 Likes on 3,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Amrik Jalif
Hi,

Many people want to wrap their chrome. I'd like to remove the window surrounds to have them wrapped. I'm thinking the door mirrors need to come off to remove the window scraper sections.

Can somebody please advise if they have done this and how?

If anyone can post the relevant Topix articles that would be great.
I personally wouldn't mess with the window surrounds as it is easy to bend those pieces and risks losing a good water seal around the windows. Unless someone is purposefully looking for a seam or uneven edge, there is no way they will ever know that it's a wrap if done well.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:55 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I understand that the window surrounds require removal of the small side windows. There is a service bulletin on these trims as they can delaminate or fall apart (i've seen this on a few F-types including my own, where this trim is no longer uniformly tight to the body) and the repair images show the window out. I think there is a high likelihood that you could bend or break tabs trying to remove them, and replacement parts will likely be expensive with a long lead time.

The door chrome trims slide back and pulls off, mentioned in another service bulletin for replacement of the rubber wiper in the event it causes scratches in the glass. Seemingly no need to remove the mirror.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hades281
I understand that the window surrounds require removal of the small side windows. There is a service bulletin on these trims as they can delaminate or fall apart (i've seen this on a few F-types including my own, where this trim is no longer uniformly tight to the body) and the repair images show the window out. I think there is a high likelihood that you could bend or break tabs trying to remove them, and replacement parts will likely be expensive with a long lead time.

The door chrome trims slide back and pulls off, mentioned in another service bulletin for replacement of the rubber wiper in the event it causes scratches in the glass. Seemingly no need to remove the mirror.

You talked me out of it!