F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal of Windshield Trim Near Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 08:32 AM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Removal of Windshield Trim Near Wipers

Does anyone know how to remove the trim at the base of the windshield? I am trouble shooting a few things and want to tighten or check the support bars entering under the trim.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:25 AM
Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

I have an XKR, but judging from the picture, this should be the same process. You have to remove the wiper arms by popping out the center cap and remove the nut. You may have to wiggle them a little to free them. The cowl should then lift out away from the windshield. It has a rail on the back side that just presses into a slot (sorry no pics). Mine also had a black adhesive/sealer where it contacts the windshield. Be careful of the washer fluid line that connects on the back, and don't forget to reattach that thing when it goes back together. I don't believe that you have to disassemble any of the false firewall to access the strut support bolts, but I have had more than one beer since I had mine opened up.

The following users liked this post:
David Meier (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 03:55 PM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Absolutely spot-on buddy... By far the most difficult thing is getting the wiper bolt and arm to separated. I am still unsure why they are so tough to get apart, but either way it was a success! Thank you very much for the help.

The following users liked this post:
007XKR (06-30-2022)
Old 03-12-2023, 10:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David Meier
Absolutely spot-on buddy... By far the most difficult thing is getting the wiper bolt and arm to separated. I am still unsure why they are so tough to get apart, but either way it was a success! Thank you very much for the help.
I just went through this. It was a little bit of a nightmare but maybe, just maybe tightening the brace bolts eliminated the clunking I have been hearing when the chassis flexes.

Did you reseal the cowl with more of that adhesive when you put it back on? Any idea what adhesive it is?

Old 03-12-2023, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,228 Likes on 2,382 Posts

Originally Posted by shashi27
I just went through this. It was a little bit of a nightmare but maybe, just maybe tightening the brace bolts eliminated the clunking I have been hearing when the chassis flexes.

Did you reseal the cowl with more of that adhesive when you put it back on? Any idea what adhesive it is?
Black RTV silicone windscreen sealant works great, I used it on my old XFS to seal the gap between edge of the cowl and the windscreen with zero problems, see here for example: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...ealant&start=1
One tip - clean off and smooth over any excess with a rag or fingertip dipped in turps before it starts to cure, you have around 10 minutes which should be plenty of time.

Edit - I have twice tried to remove a wiper arm on my F-Type but gave up both times, it simply would not budge no matter what I tried.
But you can get a special tool for this quite cheaply, see here for example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/26449099182...3ABFBMvJfAkNth

Last edited by OzXFR; 03-12-2023 at 10:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Carbuff2 (03-13-2023), shashi27 (03-19-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,409 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Yes I have found the wipers to be tight on all the Jaguars I have worked on. A bit of trivia on wipers too? At least on the S-Type the inside of wiper blade hub is smooth when new. You align the wiper arm and then bolt it down. This forces the smooth bore over the grooved wiper drive pins. This makes it a VERY tight fit since it's basically friction welded on the grooved stud!

Don't know if other Jaguars are made this way or not?
It was a strange incident too? It was raining very hard and the road was covered in water. Everyone moving slow until a jerk-off in a jacked up truck decided to plow thru it all at high speed. When he came around me I had a huge wave of water pour over the car completely burying the windshield and the car. The automatic wipers kicked into high gear but with all the excess water it took so much force the wiper blade could not push it all away and the center grooved stud stripped the inside of the wiper arm out!

Yes I sure looked retarded driving around with only drivers side wiper operating!