F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace volume control knob

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 11:38 AM
Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Replace volume control knob

Please help before I break something... I am trying to replace the volume control on my 2017 Coupe. The previous owner had long finger nails and scratch the icon off the top. I have a replacement control ready to go, but am unclear on how to remove the piano black part of the center console to get access to the switch. Has anyone had reason to remove this trim piece before and if so, please tell me how.

Many thanks,

Old 07-11-2020, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff_the_chef
Please help before I break something... I am trying to replace the volume control on my 2017 Coupe. The previous owner had long finger nails and scratch the icon off the top. I have a replacement control ready to go, but am unclear on how to remove the piano black part of the center console to get access to the switch. Has anyone had reason to remove this trim piece before and if so, please tell me how.

Many thanks,
Looking at the new control, can you determine if it merely snaps into the shifter surround? Much like the start button, you might be able to remove it with a credit card and some dental floss.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:19 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 05:47 PM

I found these photos of a stripped F-Type Console Panel on PacificMotors.com and thought they would be useful in figuring out how to get this part off.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:59 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I found these photos of a stripped F-Type Console Panel on PacificMotors.com and thought they would be useful in figuring out how to get this part off.
Did you look at the link I posted? It has helpful
info in it.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:36 PM

Hi Jeff,

Yes I saw the link,. Wurldfamuz gave a vague idea of how to get it off, but it was unclear. I found one other link where someone got it half way off, but not fully, so I am still stumped.

Jeff

Old 07-13-2020, 09:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Looking at the new control, can you determine if it merely snaps into the shifter surround? Much like the start button, you might be able to remove it with a credit card and some dental floss.
I can confirm the volume control knob is held in by two torx screws and cannot be popped out without first removing the shift surround.

Hi Jeff,

Yes I saw the link,. Wurldfamuz gave a vague idea of how to get it off, but it was unclear. I found one other link where someone got it half way off, but not fully, so I am still stumped.

Jeff
Jeff, did you remove the two long side trim pieces and then underneath that the 4 BLACK bolts? (2 on either side) if you've already done that please reference my post in this thread where I explained to someone going through the same thing as you how to remove that piece.

Unhingd (07-14-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 06:47 PM

Here are a couple more pics that may prove useful. I will have a go at it again this weekend. (thanks to rocky for the diagram one)

Old 08-01-2020, 08:53 PM

Ok, I can update this post and say I successfully replaced the volume control knob on my 2017 F-type Coupe! To remove the piano black gear shift surround, you must first remove the two trim pieces either side of the transmission tunnel. They simply pry off. It helps to have the seat pushed back as far as they go. After that, pry off the trim piece that surrounds the piano black part and disconnect the wires to the ignition button and cigarette lighter. Now, on either side of the console, you will see two black torx 30 screws in the positions shown in the diagram above. These screws are a combination torx and slotted head. Remove the four of them completely. (You do not need to remove any other screws). Once they are out, you can raise the front of the piano black surround nearest the HVAC controls. at the same time you can pry the rear end nearest the cup holder and it should come free. The volume control know is held in place by three torx screw.

SinF (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 12:14 PM
Received 82 Likes on 38 Posts

I need to replace mine also. It's sticky or something, it is nearly impossible to turn. Whoever detailed my car in the past used something that didn't react well to some of the plastics in the car and left them tacky to the touch, and I think the volume knob was a victim of this. Or else they just spilled something on it. Can anyone point me somewhere to buy a replacement?

All I can find on Ebay are these ones from Lithuania with $45 shipping that I don't feel great about:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGUAR-F-TY...YAAOSw~ZlfaFXk