F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced headlight bulbs, now both not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced headlight bulbs, now both not working

When I bought my new to me 2014 F-type, the driver's side headlight was out. While I had it at my local shop for an oil change (not Jag dealer), I asked them to replace the driver's and passenger side headlight bulbs for me with stock bulbs. They did. A week later I took car out for a drive that extended into the night, and learned BOTH headlights are now out. Shop will resolve the problem for me, but the car is about 1.5 hours away from shop now. Does anyone have any suggestions I can try to easily trouble shoot this problem before I drive 3 hours RT to take back to shop? The bulbs they used were (I think) Sylvania XEN and were not inexpensive.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:14 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Its odd that both went out simultaneously.

Swapping bulbs from either side to see if the ballast is bad won't work since both bulbs don't work. Obvious is to check the fuse box. If the fuses look in order then consider ordering a new bulb. The F-TYPE uses a D3S bulb. I'd buy a single bulb from Amazon and install to see if it works. If both sides work then you know its a bulb issue. If it doesn't work with a new bulb, you've got a potential ignitor/ballast issue.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:18 PM

Is it possible to damage both sides' ignitor/ballast easily when installing? For instance is there a way to short them out if you don't disconnect power or something like that? I'm just wondering if the tech at shop made a dumb mistake or if something more serious is going on. Too coincidental to not be related to the bulbs being changed, I think. Thx.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:22 PM

I should also mention, I'm not sure if the new bulbs ever worked, as I didn't try them out when I picked car up. First time I tried was when I took it out a week later and stayed out until it was dark. Barely made it home before it was truly dangerous to drive without either headlight. The LED "eyebrows" or whatever they're called both work still.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:07 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
Obvious is to check the fuse box.
I don't know about the 2014 models but in my MY18 the left and right headlights have separate fuses.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by rlynchtx
I should also mention, I'm not sure if the new bulbs ever worked, as I didn't try them out when I picked car up. First time I tried was when I took it out a week later and stayed out until it was dark. Barely made it home before it was truly dangerous to drive without either headlight. The LED "eyebrows" or whatever they're called both work still.
It is possible they were never on from the time of install. I have done this a few times to try different bulbs, and it is a real B@tch to get the plugs seated properly (especially on the right/passenger side).

Assuming these are HIDs, it would also be possible they touched the bulbs and got oil on them (from their skin....supposed to wear gloves and no touchy!), which will burn them out quick!. Most likely plugs not completely seated, or oil on bulbs...Usually a pretty easy fix.

Good luck!
DC

Old 03-29-2021, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I've got some stuff to try now. I appreciate it.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

My guess is they didn't use D3S bulbs and instead they used the much more common and cheaper D1S which don't work in the F-Type.
You just need to take either bulb out and look at the back of it, it will show either D3S or D1S. Easier said than done though, access is tight, and on the RHS you need to move the relay/fuse box out of the way and on the LHS you need to move the power steering fluid reservoir out the way.
If confirmed they have used D1S you could at a pinch get some D3S and DIY then bill the shop for your expense.