F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Windshield Wait Time/Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:39 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Replacement Windshield Wait Time/Cost?

Just got a rock chip 1" from the top of my windscreen which promptly ran into a 6" crack curving down toward the rear view mirror. Finally - A use for the sun visor! Anyone replace a heated windscreen and if so how long was the wait for parts and what was the cost? Also looking for a good shop to take this to in the greater Puget Sound region. Many Thanks

Old 03-16-2015, 10:18 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

I just paid $1,250 at the dealer to have a new Jaguar branded non-heated windshield installed.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nookieman
Thanks for the reply.
And dealer had windshield in 3 days from order.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:36 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

It took two weeks to get my replacement windshield.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:42 PM

I waited all last summer for body parts to arrive from the UK before they finally totaled my first F-Type making parts a moot point. Was hoping the windshields are in stock in the United States of America. Sounds like its a 50/50 proposition. Thanks for the prompt replies.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:51 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

I waited all last summer for body parts to arrive from the UK before they finally totaled my first F-Type making parts a moot point. Was hoping the windshields are in stock in the United States of America. Sounds like its a 50/50 proposition. Thanks for the prompt replies.
So you totaled one F-Type and are now replacing a windshield on the 2nd F-Type? Who knew Washington state was such a dangerous place! Now Washington, DC on the other hand....

Last edited by Lovemonet; 03-17-2015 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-17-2015, 05:59 AM

Yes I did. Made the mistake of driving Chinook Pass at dawn during deer migration season last spring. Totaled the first one at 6900 miles. Made it 7200 miles on the second one before cracking the windshield. Washington State is hard on cars.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:30 PM

Call your local dealer's service/parts department and ask them how long it would take to get a replacement windshield for VIN#??? if you ordered it from them.
They should be able to have an answer for you in a few hours, if not minutes.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:58 PM

Yes, they should be able to tell me that. If the part is in the U.S. I might even believe them. My front bumper cover had five or six of those estimated ETAs and quite a smattering of excuses for why it wasn't here for most of last summer. I think my favorite was when they told me it was sent to a different dealer by mistake. Or, sitting in customs in Atlanta, then the next day learning it was still in U.K. Then told they would pull one off the assembly line, inspect it and ship it with special packaging (never happened). The real story I believe is that the bumper vendor was on summer holiday ..I kept the rental car all summer. In two week increments. A Subaru. I do have an appointment Thursday for an oil change so I plan to start the process then. I did learn not to drop the car off until the parts are in hand.

Last edited by Nookieman; 03-17-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:04 PM

Yes, they should be able to tell me that. If the part is in the U.S. I might even believe them. My front bumper cover had five or six of those estimated ETAs and quite a smattering of excuses for why it wasn't here for most of last summer. I think my favorite was when they told me it was sent to a different dealer by mistake. Or, sitting in customs in Atlanta, then the next day learning it was still in U.K. Then told they would pull one off the assembly line, inspect it and ship it with special packaging (never happened). The real story I believe is that the bumper vendor was on summer holiday ..I kept the rental car all summer. In two week increments. A Subaru. I do have an appointment Thursday for an oil change so I plan to start the process then. I did learn not to drop the car off until the parts are in hand.
Sounds like your dealer could learn a few things about customer service.
I called my Service Writer, told him I needed a new windshield, he called me back 5 minutes later to tell me they had them on the east coast, would be here in three days, and we scheduled the appt. for replacement for the morning following the anticipated arrival. Car back by noon, good as new.

That said, parts in the middle of summer last year may very well have been in short supply. I think that has improved now.

Last edited by IronMike; 03-18-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:09 PM

It was more of a certified body shop problem but yes, they had issues for sure.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:26 PM

Moderator please note I edited the above post for accuracy but someone quoted the original one in the meantime

Old 03-17-2015, 10:38 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Safelight

$894 with tax for a non-heated with diversity antenna. Just ordered it this evening, they'll install it on Monday (4 business days). This is my second windshield. Damn thing picks up rock chips like nobody's business.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
$894 with tax for a non-heated with diversity antenna. Just ordered it this evening, they'll install it on Monday (4 business days). This is my second windshield. Damn thing picks up rock chips like nobody's business.
Doesn't your comprehensive insurance cover it?

Old 03-17-2015, 11:16 PM

Well since my comprehensive just paid out over $100k for the last total loss car I was planning on paying for the windshield.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:14 AM

Moderator please note I edited the above post for accuracy but someone quoted the original one in the meantime
Got you covered.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well since my comprehensive just paid out over $100k for the last total loss car I was planning on paying for the windshield.
In Florida, comprehensive claims are not allowed to raise premiums. Not sure what it is in your state. If you paid for the insurance, why not use it? Don't feel sorry for the insurance companies. You should have seen how State Farm treated me when their policyholder totaled my car. Everything was a fight and no consideration. Should have sued them but it wasn't worth my time.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:05 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I agree. This windshield picks up a lot of stone damage. I think that the airflow over the hood is not diverting enough airflow off over the windshield.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:22 PM

I will try to verify what the rules are on comprehensive claims in Washington vis a vis rates or cancellations. I don't feel sorry for the insurance company, I just have so much insurance with them a cancellation would be a nightmare. Four cars, a hard to insure speedboat, a Moto Guzzi, homeowners, life insurance and an umbrella policy for less than $500 per month total. I could try calling my agent but he is still reeling from an employee theft and might be a little busy. Maybe tomorrow while I am waiting for the oil change I will give it a shot. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Replacement Windshield Wait Time/Cost?