F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Fake front Vents for real ones

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 06:26 AM
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Replacing Fake front Vents for real ones

Has anyone swapped out the fake front vents for real ones? If so, where did you find them? I would like to add airflow for the intake and front brakes without dremmaling each fake honey comb slot.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart Satter
Has anyone swapped out the fake front vents for real ones? If so, where did you find them? I would like to add airflow for the intake and front brakes without dremmaling each fake honey comb slot.
They get plenty of fresh air. It is fed directly from the front Grill opening through two large tubes that attach to the side of the airbox. If you open up those fake grills, you will just get a lot of water and crud on some wiring, and the airbox itself....no benefit at all that I can see, unless you create ducts to cool the brakes perhaps??

DC

Old 09-28-2020, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 411 Posts

Jaguar, for a short while, made and sold ducting that allowed you to open up those vents and provide cooling to the brakes. They're very difficult to find, but do exist.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Jaguar, for a short while, made and sold ducting that allowed you to open up those vents and provide cooling to the brakes. They're very difficult to find, but do exist.
Originally Posted by Therock88
They get plenty of fresh air. It is fed directly from the front Grill opening through two large tubes that attach to the side of the airbox. If you open up those fake grills, you will just get a lot of water and crud on some wiring, and the airbox itself....no benefit at all that I can see, unless you create ducts to cool the brakes perhaps??
The ducts were discontinued because they were designated for dry track use only on CCBs and people were using them on the street causing the issues Rock brought up plus scoring the rotors.

DC
+1. Opening up those “vent” areas would also reduce frontal pressure and flow through the heat exchangers.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. Opening up those “vent” areas would also reduce frontal pressure and flow through the heat exchangers.
Something else I learned from big open front vents on the Porsches... When you open them up, all sorts of goodies end up wedged in there. I literally found a piece of a dried corn cob on my radiator of my 997 TT. Ended up building screens/mesh grills to block it....

So I would leave them blocked

DC

This is from open front grills Was an annual cleaning process...

Had to build mesh grills to keep stuff out!

Old 09-29-2020, 08:33 AM

Thanks, but I think adding additional trans cooling and oil cooling with vents helps. Im not really worried about the grime. I don't have the stock air boxes anymore and I clean it plenty. Ill research for the vents. Thanks

Last edited by Stuart Satter; 09-29-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Something else I learned from big open front vents on the Porsches... When you open them up, all sorts of goodies end up wedged in there. I literally found a piece of a dried corn cob on my radiator of my 997 TT. Ended up building screens/mesh grills to block it....

So I would leave them blocked

DC

This is from open front grills Was an annual cleaning process...

Had to build mesh grills to keep stuff out!
We have the same problem as well with the F type. All kinds of leaves will accumulate on the horizontal heat exchangers just passed the splitter. The front belly pan needs to be removed to clear out all that compost.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

We have the same problem as well with the F type. All kinds of leaves will accumulate on the horizontal heat exchangers just passed the splitter. The front belly pan needs to be removed to clear out all that compost.
Good to know! I have had it off a few times and did not have any, so lucky so far. I will do the same annual cleaning process on this car as well to ensure no issues. Ended up having to replace one of the radiators on the 997 TT due to the junk, and pebbles etc., that bounced in there.

DC

Old 09-30-2020, 07:24 AM

Good to know! I have had it off a few times and did not have any, so lucky so far. I will do the same annual cleaning process on this car as well to ensure no issues. Ended up having to replace one of the radiators on the 997 TT due to the junk, and pebbles etc., that bounced in there.

DC
I had a bunch of leaves and sticks in-between the heat exchangers when took this apart and cleaned it. .

I'm not really seeing there will be less airflow in the heat exchangers after switching to the more open new grill and removing the blocking fabric around the center post. I will fabricate a streamlined thinner, less blocking, center post structure for my own for stability and tow hook.

Old 09-30-2020, 02:08 PM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Unhinged, forgive my lack of knowledge but would you elaborate on the horizontal heat exchangers and the front belly pan. I don't see anything obvious and don't want to go poking around without knowing what I am doing. Given the leaves here - especially those lousy locust trees whose little leaves get into everything - I am sure cleaning will be necessary.
Thanks

Old 09-30-2020, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WCats
Unhinged, forgive my lack of knowledge but would you elaborate on the horizontal heat exchangers and the front belly pan. I don't see anything obvious and don't want to go poking around without knowing what I am doing. Given the leaves here - especially those lousy locust trees whose little leaves get into everything - I am sure cleaning will be necessary.
Thanks

The horizontal slot just behind my plate will collect massive amounts of leaves. There’s at least one horizontal radiator upon which those leaves will accumulate. You could try to dig them out with a clothes hanger, but is far less risky to just remove the front pan. Any vacuum cleaner nozzle slender enough to squeeze through the slot is probably too small to effectively suck up the leaves.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

The horizontal slot just behind my plate will collect massive amounts of leaves. There’s at least one horizontal radiator upon which those leaves will accumulate. You could try to dig them out with a clothes hanger, but is far less risky to just remove the front pan. Any vacuum cleaner nozzle slender enough to squeeze through the slot is probably too small to effectively suck up the leaves.
Yep, I found the same. Without removing the undertray you can barely see the build up of leaves, dirt and muck on the radiator(s) even with a torch, and there isn't enough room to stick a vacuum cleaner nozzle in there. Maybe using an air hose with a thin tip connected to a decently powerful compressor will blow the muck out, I have the gear but haven't yet tried to do this.
When I removed the undertray and the black plastic "box" under that some 3.5 years ago (to replace my damaged splitter/diffuser) the build up of leaves and muck on the radiator(s) was very obvious and relatively easy to brush out.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:58 AM

Unhinged and OzXFR, thanks for the comments. I assume that I need to have the car on a lift to remove the front pan? Or can it be done without that?

Old 10-01-2020, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Unhinged and OzXFR, thanks for the comments. I assume that I need to have the car on a lift to remove the front pan? Or can it be done without that?
Does not need to be on a lift....Just helps to jack the front end up a bit for clearance. Easy to remove....But tons of screws.....Pretty simple job though.

I attached a PDF for the removal process - Stohlen did the best job I have seen to date of documenting the process in his Lower Pulley upgrade DIY Thread...So full credit to him...I just filtered out the Lower Tray info for you from his thread. I have done this process many times, and it is easy to do....just time consuming because of the numbers of screws! JLR must have found a sale at Home Depot on screws

DC

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lower Tray Removal.pdf (1.91 MB, 83 views)

Last edited by Therock88; 10-01-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:42 PM

Therock88, thanks to you as well. Does look straightforward but as you say time consuming.
I don't think they needed a Home Depot sale, they are British after all. Overkill on the detail which we, of course, all love. A Porsche on the other hand would have about three screws total.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Therock88, thanks to you as well. Does look straightforward but as you say time consuming.
I don't think they needed a Home Depot sale, they are British after all. Overkill on the detail which we, of course, all love. A Porsche on the other hand would have about three screws total.
You are welcome. And when I say time-consuming...It is just a lot of screws! It probably takes about 10 - 15 minutes. I usually use a bit driver in a drill...So goes pretty quick actually. Just longer than it should.

And very true on the Porsches! I have torn them apart for years. Not only is it 3 screws...they are unique, require a special tool, and if you turn them wrong they break, and cost $50 each

Good luck with it.

DC

Old 10-02-2020, 11:48 AM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

I would worry dremeling it could cause a death whistle or effect lifting at high speeds. If its not for track purposes I see no benefit, even then this is a highly engineered car they do things for a reason in most cases.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

Does not need to be on a lift
+1. All screws easily accessible with the front of the car jacked up.

Old 10-03-2020, 04:06 PM
Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Anybody have a part number for that? I wanna!

Old 10-03-2020, 05:55 PM

Therock88, one more naive question - you said the description from Stohlen was when he was doing the lower pulley upgrade and he mentions (#6) removing the belt. Is that step for his pulley upgrade or is it needed to access the radiator for cleaning as well?
Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Replacing Fake front Vents for real ones