Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing passenger side dash vent

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts
Default Replacing passenger side dash vent

As a result of the passenger side dash vent plastic deteriorating I have ordered a new replacement vent. Want to make sure I take off the old one properly as I think they just snap in. Any tips from anyone who has done it before? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Well I was finally able to get my computer to willingly download the shop manual that DJS and OZ were kind enough to post in their Dropbox’s without coughing up a lung. On page 3 million I found the instructions regarding the vent, but there is a catch. The version of the shop manual is for right hand drive cars so you actually need to go to the later section regarding the glove box for left hand drive cars when you want to replace the passenger vent. Process was simple however and took me about 15 minutes.

1. You need to remove the side dash trim cap. I used a plastic spatula and slowly pulled it out in several areas until the clips released. It takes a bit of doing but if your careful but firm you won’t break anything.

2. Then take a Torx #27 bit and remove the two crews inside of the glove compartment at the top. They are inward from the ends of the box but easily visible. Then remove the right torx crew underneath the glove compartment which is on the far right. Lossen the one on the far left but keep it on until you have removed the torx screw on the right side of the box where the end cap was. Then you can remove the left one you loosened on the bottom and gently let down the glove companrtment. Put a small box on the floor to hold it up a little so you don’t have to disconnect the wires.

3. You can then clearly see the Torx #25 bits that hold in the bottom of the vent. Remove those and the vent will pop right out and the top has just two spring clips.

4 place the new “non sticky’ vent in and reverse the process above. Note: When putting the screws back into the bottom of the glove compartment it’s best to make sure you have pushed the bottom up and in as far as possible so the bits will find their proper seats. Then you can do the end one and the ones inside.

after repeated attempts to clean up the originals I just decided to give up and replace them. Going to do the left one eventually as well and this morning popped in a new start button. Now I just need a new “P” button which I apparently need to get from LandRover. It’s a $5 part which they wanted $15 to ship. Just stupid so I’m going to make a day trip to Annapolis with my wife and just pick it up in person and enjoy the town.

Here is the image from the manual for those that need it:

The following 4 users liked this post by Mbourne:
DJS (06-30-2020), OzXFR (06-27-2020), Paul champagne (06-28-2020), Unhingd (06-27-2020)