Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restricted Performance and CEL fixed - bad accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2024 | 12:58 PM
|
Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Restricted Performance and CEL fixed - bad accelerator

Thought I’d document a problem and solution that cropped up on my 2017 F Type R. A few months ago, I got a check engine light (CEL). Used a my Bluetooth code reader and got a couple of codes about accelerator low-position calibration error. Shortly after, I got a restricted performance message and the car was in limp mode.

I used my reader to clear the codes, and all was fine for a week or two. Problem occurred again, and this time as a precaution, I ordered up another accelerator pedal assembly off eBay for around $40. Cleared the codes, was fine again for a few days. Over the next 2 weeks, this problem reoccurred with increasing frequency. Finally a few days ago, once I cleared these codes, they immediately reappeared with the “restricted performance” message and no way to get out of limp mode. Whatever was failing - probably with the accelerator assembly - had finally bit the dust.

So, I decided to swap out the accelerator pedal assembly. Fairly easy job. First, unplug the battery. Then remove the three torx (T30) bolts under the dash and swap out the pedal. I then cleared the codes - which stayed cleared - and did another unplug/replug cycle on the battery.*. Problem is now resolved. No issues and car has been solid for a couple of days. Obviously, the issue was the electronic throttle assembly. I’m guessing the potentiometer got out of range, either due to contamination or wear. I have read of this issue on a few other Jags. FYI.

Edit: Update. I decided to take apart the old accelerator. Pic is below. It uses hall-effect sensors for throttle position. Those are 3 magnets on the pedal assembly. Now, I noticed my assembly was missing one of the torx bolts that holds it together. There was noticeable play in the housing. This is likely the source of my problem. Hall effect sensors are very sensitive to position. The lack of this bolt meant the sensor wasn't properly postioned. Someone had this pedal open in the past, and didn't properly reassemble it. The new pedal I installed fixed this problem, obviously.

————-
*For those unaware, there’s a nasty bug in the OBD-II port on our F Types. If you plug in any device to the OBD-II port, it puts the car on a permanent-on condition which will rather quickly drain your battery. You know its in this condition as the warning triangle light on the hazard lights button will remain illuminated. The solution to this problem is to unplug/replug the battery. You have to do this anytime you use the OBD-II port.

Last edited by diablo2112; 09-10-2024 at 01:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by diablo2112:
Carbuff2 (09-10-2024), JgaXkr (09-21-2024), Thunder Dump (09-10-2024)
Old 09-10-2024 | 01:06 PM
Received 67 Likes on 45 Posts

Awesome, thank you for posting the solution.

Old 09-10-2024 | 02:57 PM
Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Diablo 2112, question......

Regarding your comment shown here below;

' If you plug in any device to the OBD-II port, it puts the car on a permanent-on condition which will rather quickly drain your battery. You know its in this condition as the warning triangle light on the hazard lights button will remain illuminated. The solution to this problem is to unplug/replug the battery. You have to do this anytime you use the OBD-II port. "

Does this also apply to when taking the car to the state motor vehicle inspection station for the car's safety inspection?

Thank you!

Old 09-10-2024 | 03:58 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,529 Likes on 1,154 Posts

The OBD drain issue isn't "whenever you plug into the port" but when a particular device doesn't close the session correctly. Smog tests apparently will trigger the condition. Mine's been plugged in many times in UK garages and I've never had the drain condition. Please don't peddle misinformation.

Last edited by scm; 09-10-2024 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2024 | 04:13 PM
|

Originally Posted by scm
Please don't peddle misinformation.
Respectfully, I didn't peddle 'misinformation". I provided an accurate description of an issue including an indicator of when the issue arises (the illumintated warning triangle), and the solution. This is well-documented right here, and among that documentation is the finding that it results from OBD readers not properly closing out the query with the Jag software. Most readers won't do this. The readers at the dealers avoid this problem, of course, but most others do. I've had this issue everytime an OBD reader is plugged into my car, including the emissions inspection station readers.

Last edited by diablo2112; 09-10-2024 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2024 | 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,275 Likes on 2,417 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo2112
Respectfully, I didn't peddle 'misinformation". I provided an accurate description of an issue including an indicator of when the issue arises (the illumintated warning triangle), and the solution. This is well-documented right here, and among that documentation is the finding that it results from OBD readers not properly closing out the query with the Jag software. Most readers won't do this. The readers at the dealers avoid this problem, of course, but most others do. I've had this issue everytime an OBD reader is plugged into my car, including the emissions inspection station readers.
Sorry but I have to agree with scm, this problem most definitely does NOT occur every time you plug something into the OBD2 port.
At least not on every F-Type.
I for one have NEVER had this problem and I have plugged numerous things into the OBD2 port, most commonly my iCarsoft LR V2 code reader hundreds of times.
Less common plugs I have used are the VAP tool and an ELMs 327 dongle.
Yes it does appear to be a problem with some/most US state based emissions tests but luckily for me there is no such thing in my neck of the woods.

The following users liked this post:
scm (09-11-2024)
Old 09-10-2024 | 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 614 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Turko

Does this also apply to when taking the car to the state motor vehicle inspection station for the car's safety inspection?
I'm from Morris Co NJ as well. The state inspectors in Randolph haven't caused a battery drain 2 of 3 inspections.
Our older OBD scanner hasn't stopped shutdown, either.

The inspector that did, probably didn't shut down the reader (they were rushed). So, it is wise to verify that the HAZARD triangle goes off after 15 - 20 minutes.

PM me if you want to join me with an Adult Beverage while we wait for your light to go off. (Sip, don't chug!)

PS: The GMC dealer 0.5 miles from the inspection station has an F-type in their used car lot.

Last edited by Carbuff2; 09-10-2024 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-11-2024 | 10:17 AM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I'm from Morris Co NJ as well. The state inspectors in Randolph haven't caused a battery drain 2 of 3 inspections.
Our older OBD scanner hasn't stopped shutdown, either.

The inspector that did, probably didn't shut down the reader (they were rushed). So, it is wise to verify that the HAZARD triangle goes off after 15 - 20 minutes.

PM me if you want to join me with an Adult Beverage while we wait for your light to go off. (Sip, don't chug!)

PS: The GMC dealer 0.5 miles from the inspection station has an F-type in their used car lot.
Hmm... I thought this was a universal problem, but now appears to be related to the software in our individual cars, so I'll add my $0.02 here.

First, I bought my car in July 2018 after it was returned to a Jaguar dealership in southern CA (that will go unnamed) under the Lemon Law. The car repeatedly had dead battery issues, the dealership had replaced the battery in the car 5 times during that process but could not figure out what the problem was.

I purchased the car from the Jaguar dealership in West Palm Beach, Florida (who I have nothing but good things to say about) who purchased the car at auction. They did a significant number of upgrades/fixes to the car prior to my purchase including of course, replacing the battery again for the sixth time.

After I purchased the car and became aware of this OBDII issue and the battery reset from this forum, I have watched the red hazard triangle after every OBDII connection closely and can say that without question, every time something gets plugged into my OBDII it requires a battery reset afterwards. I have two different OBDII readers, its happened every time I have gotten the car back from the dealership and it has happened every time I have taken it in for emissions testing.

With the forgoing being said, I still have the sixth battery the West Palm Beach dealership put in may car in July 2018 and it is still working perfectly because of watching the hazard triangle and using the battery reset fix.

The following 4 users liked this post by rbsj:
Carbuff2 (09-11-2024), Chuckster (09-11-2024), diablo2112 (09-11-2024), Valerie Stabenow (09-23-2024)
Old 09-11-2024 | 10:20 AM
Received 477 Likes on 260 Posts

There was a software update for the older cars that was supposed to mitigate (or lessen) the OBD-II disconnect issue--I don't know how successful it was. I know I never had this issue in my 2018 nor my 2023, including numerous connect/disconnect of tuner devices, Bluetooth code readers, and yearly state inspections at multiple locations.

Old 09-21-2024 | 06:40 PM
|

Adding a bit more info for future owners. After a week or so, I got another limp-mode and CEL. This time, the code was for low-input error in the accelerator sensor (for circuit E, see below) I cleared this, and the error would return within a day or two. I hooked up a real-time reading of the accelerator postiion output, and noted that the baseline was reading about 17% open. It would vary by perhaps 0.5% depending on time, temperature, etc, and the code seemed to occur when the baseline reading was on the high side.

Anyway, I got to thinking that these sensors are probably calibrated at the factory. I reassembled my old accelerator (pictures, above) with a combination of epoxy and screws, and reinstalled this into the car. Now, the baseline reading was 14% open. Since I reinstalled this, I haven't had a return of the low-input error CEL and limp mode.

Lesson: the accelerator is a digital device that likely is calibrated as part of initial assembly (and there may very well be a calibration procedure in the Jaguar Shop software, which I don't have access too). Just replacing the hardware may or may not work. It's worth reading out the accelerator position values before replacement, so you have a reference. In my case, there was a pretty substantial difference and this lead to another problem. FYI.

Last edited by diablo2112; 09-21-2024 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2024 | 07:53 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,158 Likes on 1,445 Posts

Interesting. I’m looking in the repair manual…

The APP allow the ECM to determine the position and angular rate of change of the throttle blade.

There are two APP located in the electric throttle. See below for details of the electric throttle.

If a APP fails, the ECM:
Adopts a limp home mode where engine speed is limited to a maximum of approximately 2000 rev
/min
Discontinues evaporative emissions control
Discontinues closed loop control of engine idle speed

With a failed APP, the engine will suffer from poor running and throttle response

The APP sensor allows the ECM to determine the driver requests for vehicle speed, acceleration and
deceleration. The ECM uses this information, together with information from the ABS (Anti-Lock Brake
System) control module and the TCM (Transmission Control Module), to determine the setting of the
electric throttle.

Three screws attach the APP sensor and integrated accelerator pedal to a bracket on the lower
instrument panel. A six pin electrical connector provides the interface with the vehicle harness.

The APP sensor is a twin track potentiometer. Each track receives an independent power supply from
the ECM and returns an independent analog signal to the ECM. Both signals contain the same
positional information, but the signal from track 2 is half the voltage of the signal from track 1 at all
positions.

If both signals have a fault, the ECM adopts a limp home mode, which limits the engine speed to 2000
rev/min maximum.

The ECM constantly checks the range and plausibility of the two signals and stores a fault code if it
detects a fault.
So it’s an analog sensor. This is a pretty clever way of ensuring the validity of the position reading.

Here’s a link to the workshop manual…
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/o6d1x...k7yc02pyx&dl=0

Last edited by DJS; 09-21-2024 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2024 | 08:07 PM
|

Thank you for this. The analog output heads to the ECM, where it is digitized. I'm still nearly certain that there's some sort of calibration done as part of all this. I've had 2 separate accelerator modules installed in my 17 R. As noted above, one read 17% baseline, the other 14%. I was getting low input errors with the 17% module.

Last edited by diablo2112; 09-21-2024 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2024 | 08:13 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,158 Likes on 1,445 Posts

Yeah, I was looking to see if calibration was mentioned, I didn’t see anything.