Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restricted Performance Saga

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2023 | 01:16 PM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restricted Performance Saga

Hello everyone, this is a continuation of my prolonged battle trying to fix my F-Type's "Restricted Performance" issue. Today marks 6 months since it first occurred and every day I get closer to losing my mind.

The short version is that my throttle is only getting 2.5V when it should be getting 5V. There is more detail in my previous two threads here: Initial Post, Followup Post.

Things we have replaced to try and fix it:
  • Throttle Body
  • Accelerator Pedal
  • ECM (twice)
  • BCM
  • Battery
  • Boost Sensor
  • Low Fuel Sensor
The dealership I am at is now telling me they recommend changing out the engine harness... What's really pissing me off is they have signs everywhere that say "We can only give out loaner cars for warranty work or repair work over $1,500". I waited until my bill hit $1,500 and then asked for a loaner car. They then tell me that since the engine harness is on backorder they can't give me a loaner car as it doesn't have an ETA. And then also, they need me to pay for the engine harness in advance.... I nicely pointed out their policy and my estimate of $7,200 being far above it and they basically said there is nothing they can do for me...

I'm losing my mind here guys. Any thoughts, wisdom, guidance, prayers would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Old 10-18-2023 | 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 382 Likes on 258 Posts

I think you should run away from that dealer. They are not doing diagnostics they are just replacing parts. to see what happens.

Old 10-18-2023 | 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 389 Likes on 270 Posts

Unfortunately, I think there are too few JLR dealers whose service technicians have much experience with F-Types.
So, not only are remaining dealers few and far apart but when you get there they have inadequate knowledge to get the job done.
I guess it is consequence of owning a relatively uncommon vehicle, and it is only going to get worse.

Old 10-18-2023 | 03:09 PM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly this is the second dealership I've been to. The other one in town didn't even touch my car for 2 months. The next closest dealership is an hour away..

Should have mentioned this but we did open a "technical case" with Jaguar where they did diagnostics with the technicians in the UK. They do seem to be doing a bit of diagnosing but I also have to agree they still have no idea and are just throwing parts at it..

Old 10-18-2023 | 04:45 PM
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Unfortunately, I think there are too few JLR dealers whose service technicians have much experience with F-Types.
So, not only are remaining dealers few and far apart but when you get there they have inadequate knowledge to get the job done.
I guess it is consequence of owning a relatively uncommon vehicle, and it is only going to get worse.
I would agree with this as well. I have been dealing with an air con issue since I bought the car. The dealership (under 3rd party warranty) recharged the system, replaced the compressor and the guts of the HVAC controls and reprogrammed the system. All to no avail. They were stumped. I just got the car back from my indy mechanic after getting a couple new injectors and he casually said "hey, you have a code for the humidity sensor for the AC." He then gave me the part number so I can order it and put it in myself. It's almost like he respects me and wants to help me out.
​​​​

Old 10-18-2023 | 05:50 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,529 Likes on 1,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Sovande
I just got the car back from my indy mechanic after getting a couple new injectors and he casually said "hey, you have a code for the humidity sensor for the AC." He then gave me the part number so I can order it and put it in myself. It's almost like he respects me and wants to help me out.
​​​​
Decent independents are like that - mine found a weeping diff seal on mine and although I was quite prepared to pay him to fix it he sent me to a dealer to have it done under warranty. It's sometimes hard to give him money!

Old 10-18-2023 | 06:00 PM
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Decent independents are like that - mine found a weeping diff seal on mine and although I was quite prepared to pay him to fix it he sent me to a dealer to have it done under warranty. It's sometimes hard to give him money!
I have had the same problem! And it's a good one to have. It is wild how much easier it is to spend money when the person you are giving it to seems to care and listens and makes suggestions and is helpful.

Old 10-20-2023 | 08:32 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

There is a reason the call them service technician's and not mechanics, they read a book and go to a class or two. Unless you get someone who can do a traceback, you will be at the dealerships mercy, you need someone to trace the wiring back till they get the correct voltage or if it is a ground issue, find the bad ground. Not sure what to tell you here, as I had a friend with an XKR and it would have the wipers turn off and on at various times, along with the radio turning off and on. Took a MECHANIC two months to trace it to a rusted ground on the frame.
Will not go into the issues I have with mine and the dealership experience.