Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restricted Performance - Throttle Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 01:28 PM
|
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Restricted Performance - Throttle Position Sensor

Hey all! I'm a relative newbie here and to owning a Jaguar / luxury performance vehicle in general. I bought my '16 AWD R about 2.5 years ago. I've been plagued by the Restricted Performance mode on several occasions (including at the drag strip two summers ago, that ~48 second 1/4 mile was a memorable one, and I genuinely plan to frame the slip), but it's always intermittent. I did manage to get it scanned and when I looked up the code it was related to the Throttle Position Sensor. It's my first fly-by-wire vehicle, and unfortunately, my experience w/ that system has been abysmal. It goes through periods where it surges at partial throttle, and that's usually a clear-cut sign it's about go into limp mode. I can also trigger it sometimes by just revving at idle -- any fast change in throttle position will often trigger it (that's not the least bit embarrassing when you're trying to rev for somebody upon request, btw ), so I'm reasonably sure that's the problem.

My local dealership has been less than stelar w/ trying to get service. IIRC, they said I couldn't order the part through them because they wouldn't hold that item, and they'd only order it and replace it through their service dept. When I brought it in, of course I couldn't get it to go into Restricted Performance mode, and they looked at me like they couldn't do anything about it to try to trigger it despite me telling them what causes it. Can they not rev the vehicle or drive it hard? Maybe company policy, idk? The estimate for them to do the diagnostics and potentially replace the part was outrageous anyway, so I decided to try and do the work myself. I thought I found the right part on e-bay but the cable pins don't align and, while the general appearance of the part matches pretty closely, the port for the plug is in a different location, ~90 degrees away from where mine is. It wasn't much (<$40 iirc) but now I'm trying to track down the exact right part, so I don't inadvertently expand my collection of Jaguar gas pedals. If somebody can point me in the right direction? Maybe I should try another dealership? I feel like a fish out of water dealing with them. Any help appreciated. Go easy on me pls!

Last edited by Vitoc; Yesterday at 01:32 PM.
Old Yesterday | 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,503 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Codes always codes!
Without someplace to start we have no idea what to do?

Old Yesterday | 02:26 PM
|

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Codes always codes!
Without someplace to start we have no idea what to do?
Fair enough. It's in getting the oil changed right now. I remember it saying "Accelerator Pedal Position" in the code description when I looked it up, so maybe "Throttle Position Sensor" is not the right description. P1576 sounds familiar, but I will scan it at O'Reilly's on the way home from the shop (assuming I can trigger limp mode).

Old Yesterday | 05:06 PM
|

Okay, just scanned it. P2122 and P013E showed on the scanner from the history. I'm guessing P2122 is the culprit for my intermittent limp mode? The other looks related to O2 sensor stuffs.

Old Yesterday | 05:20 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,158 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Old Yesterday | 05:39 PM
Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

That's my post on this topic, above. I went through the same issues. Your code is an out-of-range reading for the low throttle position. You can clear this code with any reader, and it will wipe the limp mode that this code imparts. After that, you want to find the source. First thing is make sure you have a fully charged battery. I had to replace my battery, and this helped. That may be all you need. If not, well, read on....

Second, you can try another accelerator pedal assembly (they're cheap on eBay). In my case, this actually made the problem worse (see my post, above, for details).

My third attempt at a fix is something that's worked great so far. I haven't reported this fix yet, as I'm gathering more time to see if this is truly a permanent fix. With about 20 hours on the car, I haven't had the code return. Previously, I would get this same code roughly every 4-6 hours.

So what's the fix? I installed a throttle controller. This is a box that goes between the throttle pedal and the ECU. It remaps your throttle curve to give more sporty performance. I ordered the unit from Jag Madness, and also spoke with their lead tech about using this to fix throttle codes on the F-Type. He thought that was an excellent idea, and I got a bit of technical info about these boxes that gave me more confidence that this fix might work.

These boxes auto-calibrate and then send the appropriate signals to the ECU. They independently read the accelerator pedal position, then take care of sending the proper signals to the Jag. This is way-more complex than you'd think, as the Jag has a redundant circuit that needs TWO separate voltages, one exactly 1/2 the magnitude of the other, to tell the ECU the pedal position. Any variance in these independent circuits, and the car will throw throttle codes.

These pedal-commander boxes basically spoof these redundant signals and send the correct voltages to the ECU. My thought was these might also cure some of these throttle codes in our F Types, and so far, that's been the case. It's still a bit early to declare victory, but I'm very pleased with the lack of codes so far.

On final bonus of these boxes is they make the car far more exciting to drive. Really. You'd think a simple throttle remap would be a ho-hum upgrade, no big deal. Actually, it makes the car feel much more agile. Hard to describe, you just have to try it. VERY very happy with that element of this fix/upgrade.

So, please excuse the long description. I've been meaning to write-up this fix and put it in my thread, but your posting of the same problem prompted my to just reply here. FYI.

Good luck.

Last edited by diablo2112; Yesterday at 05:51 PM.
Old Yesterday | 05:48 PM

I forgot to mention, if you do decide to order the Jag Madness Pedal Controller, I'd recommend the bluetooth version. This comes with a small (wireless) bluetooth "puck" to control the unit. I keep mine in the center cubby. Eliminates all wires. FYI.

https://jagmadness.com/index.php?rou...ct_id=33115590

Old Yesterday | 06:23 PM
|

Thanks for sharing your experience, and hopefully that fix is permanent for you this time! If I was going to keep it for myself I might think about that (and an underdrive pulley, lower air box, tune, etc.). I'm after the stock appearance and behavior though. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to unload her once I make sure it's solid enough for me to feel comfortable selling. I don't know if the new owner is going to be thrilled with filling up the one small cubby space in the cab with a puck to broadcast the % throttle.

Is 46 too early to start saying things like "I remember when throttle-bodies and blades didn't require computers and electronics to open and close"? I get there are theoretical advantages to fly-by-wire, but this kinda sucks. Limp mode is flat out dangerous on the road. I was on a 55 mph highway when it kicked in this last weekend sitting at a red light. It took me a good 50+ seconds to get up to speed. 0-10 is pretty quick, but then it is ludicrously slow getting up to 50+, you wouldn't even know I was on the throttle. When you do finally get up to speed and let off you don't feel any change in acceleration. I had a cement truck tailgating me ready to run me over the whole time, at least until he went around me.

Old Yesterday | 07:05 PM

The puck is tiny. Just a bit bigger than a US quarter. And, you don't have to keep the puck with the car. It's used only to change settings (or you can use your phone with an app). You could install it, and forget all about it, honestly. If this does resolve the (relatively common) Jaguar throttle codes, it's worth it for that alone. Others have been chasing these issues for years, with a few horror stories (replacing entire wiring harnesses and ECUs and still no resolution...)

Last edited by diablo2112; Yesterday at 07:11 PM.