F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofit OEM rear parking Camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 03:35 AM
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Retrofit OEM rear parking Camera

My coupe severely lacks visibility out the back and I would love to add in the rear parking camera. I know there are several aftermarket options such as NAV TV, but I would like to explore the possibility of retrofitting the OEM system. I have seen several posts, with lots of feedback that it can’t be done, especially by dealers. However, I am sure it can, it’s just understanding what needs to be done.

From the short investigation I have done you clearly need a camera and a hole in your bumper, plus a new rear bumper wiring loom. To enable the camera you need to change the CCF. Do you need to do more than this ?

One more thing, my car is MY16 and I know the camera changed this year, so its making sure you get the right camera.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

DISREGARD the below, I forgot it uses the ODB port.

If you use your mobile phone for media/Nav as most of us do, there is a license plate cam solution for about $400. The electronics in the F-type aren't great, so many look for workarounds. Maybe the 2018 models are better in some ways, but surely lacking vs even Japanese economy cars.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 01-25-2018 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:59 AM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

It is possible to retrofit the factory camera on the F-Types with the IAM2.1 infotainment, I haven't tried this on a newer car with the NGI/NLI infotainment though.

Yes it would need a CCF change to enable the camera, and the dealers are not permitted to make this change (actually their diagnostic tools are locked out from this functionality).

Not sure where you are in the UK but there are a couple of people there who I know are able to make these CCF changes.

You can actually buy the required cable as a spare part from Jaguar, well you used to be able to, I haven't checked this recently.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:04 AM

I have seen a few wiring looms available on ebay either as part of a wrecked bumper or separately. The cameras I am assuming will be the same ones fitted to most jags & LR's so can probably get one of these on ebay as well without having to pay 300-400 for a new one.
It just a case of the CCF and whether anything else is needed. I have the part numbers, Ill post those later.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:54 AM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Its not just the coupes. The vert with the top up has zero rear quarter views. Backing out of a spot with cars on either side requires literally "blind faith."

I have been interested in retro-fitting a rear camera since I got the car, and figured Nav Tv was the way to go since the dealer can and will install it without much drama. Doesn't solve the side view issue, but will help in other circumstances.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
Its not just the coupes. The vert with the top up has zero rear quarter views. Backing out of a spot with cars on either side requires literally "blind faith."

I have been interested in retro-fitting a rear camera since I got the car, and figured Nav Tv was the way to go since the dealer can and will install it without much drama. Doesn't solve the side view issue, but will help in other circumstances.
The fisheye OEM camera on the back of the 2016 model, does a real good job of seeing both ways as you’re pulling out into an alleyway

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
ndabunka (01-30-2018), Suaro (01-25-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 03:26 AM

The camera is T2R14120, and the loom T2R14437.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:27 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The fisheye OEM camera on the back of the 2016 model, does a real good job of seeing both ways as you’re pulling out into an alleyway
yes it does

Old 01-26-2018, 09:31 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Paul - Following your thread with interest. There is a shop in the UK called Cartronics who have done this before, so we know it is possible. I think it was on a convertible. I asked if I could buy the complete kit of OEM parts from them and they said yes - priced it around 850 GBP.

Your harness part T2R14437 shows up on a few Jag part sites showing it is for cars without backup sensors, but that is probably an error (how many cars were built by Jaguar with a rear cam but no backup sensor? Probably none). According to my dealership parts department, this retrofit isn’t possible because the entire “body harness” would need changing and not just a bumper harness. I don’t know for sure but I’m used to cars having a common harness with connectors for the accessories.

Another concern is about the camera mounting. Drilling a hole is no problem but how does the OEM camera clip into the bumper, and will the flange around the lens cover the rough edge you will have after drilling?

Then we we need to find someone who will update the CCF.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:12 PM

the is a mount for the camera - part number T2R17785. There is also a suggestion that the buttons around the screen are different if you have a rear parking camera (cant think why this would be) T2R14074 w/camera vs T2R14076 without. I cant find anything other changes to any other part of the wiring loom.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul Calvert
There is also a suggestion that the buttons around the screen are different if you have a rear parking camera (cant think why this would be) T2R14074 w/camera vs T2R14076 without.
Makes sense to me. Need the front parking sensor button that comes with the vision package (that includes the rear camera). Since you're not adding the sensors you might not need to change the buttons. (This assumes that those two features aren't added separately in the UK market).

Old 01-30-2018, 04:52 PM

So here is the interesting thing, I have both front and rear sensors but no camera, so I have the parking button. Question is, is there a camera button ? :-)

Old 01-30-2018, 04:55 PM

So here is the interesting thing, I have both front and rear sensors but no camera, so I have the parking button. Question is, is there a camera button ? :-)
They are indeed uniquely curious vehicles.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:28 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It does indeed. I just wish it were not so, well, fisheyed. That wide angle grossly distorts depth perception. Gotta give up one thing to get another I suppose.

The following users liked this post:
scm (09-19-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

While there is a CCF programmable touchscreen camera option there is no physical button. The on-screen rear view image is automatically invoked when the vehicle is placed into reverse. Of greater benefit is the cross-traffic detection which the '17 vision system provides as a component of it's package.

NOTE: I actually rejected purchasing a '17 convertible because we learned late in the process that it did not have the vision package (so no rear view camera). When I was doing this same search, I was informed that the ENTIRE chassis cabling was needed but I never validated that detail as I decided to lease and was not going to make any modifications due to that fact. Good luck with the effort

Last edited by ndabunka; 01-30-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Of greater benefit is the cross-traffic detection which the '17 vision system provides as a component of it's package.
The '16 has that feature as well. VERY helpful!

Old 01-30-2018, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

The '16 has that feature as well. VERY helpful!
My ancient MY15 has it as well, and of all the "driver aids" it is the only one (besides maybe the reversing camera) I would pay good money for!

Old 01-30-2018, 07:43 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
My ancient MY15 has it as well, and of all the "driver aids" it is the only one (besides maybe the reversing camera) I would pay good money for!
So does my 2015 R, it has been a very helpful feature. I would also get the blind spot monitoring again, I find that useful as well.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:25 AM

My car was in for a service on friday, The dealer had a F-type with the camera fitted. I checked out the dashboard and there is a difference. My car has a standby button in the bottom left position next to the touchscreen. In the car with the camera its the camera button !
So another one on the parts list !.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:54 AM

Interestingly, I had a letter from USAA this past week saying they had seen a rear view camera that attached to the license plate at the Consumer Electronics Show that cost $100 and they were recommending it as a safety feature.

Quick Reply: Retrofit OEM rear parking Camera