F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofitting Locking Fuel Access Door for U.S. Market

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Here is a picture from the bottom of the fuel bowl showing the missing pin/connecting rod/solenoid mechanism. It looks like the mechanism is not available separately but has to be purchased as part of the entire bowl assembly. I will have the price for this shortly and will ask the local dealer to give me a quote for giving me access to that area. I don't like tackling trim unless I've seen a pro do it first to make certain I don't rip something up.

The following 3 users liked this post by Unhingd:
amr42 (10-06-2016), BierNut (07-14-2015), enderle (07-15-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 06:03 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Here you go guys, part numbers:

Retrofitting Locking Fuel Access Door for U.S. Market-f-type-fuel-filler-bowl.gif

The following 3 users liked this post by Cambo:
BierNut (07-15-2015), enderle (07-15-2015), swajames (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 07:49 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Any possibility that the solenoid etc are present but just not plugged in?

Old 07-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mshedden
Any possibility that the solenoid etc are present but just not plugged in?
No. First, it's a different part number and secondly the U.S. bowl has an empty hole where the pin should come through. I'll get my hands on a bore scope to see if I can locate the harness plug.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:08 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Until I read this thread I had no idea the fuel door does not lock. I think this must be the first car I have owned which does not have a locking fuel door.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Just curious if anyone here on any vehicle has ever had an incident where the door was tampered with, fuel was stolen, or some foreign substance was put in the fuel tank. All it takes to open any of the locked fuel doors is a medium-size std screw driver.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:58 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Just curious if anyone here on any vehicle has ever had an incident where the door was tampered with, fuel was stolen, or some foreign substance was put in the fuel tank. All it takes to open any of the locked fuel doors is a medium-size std screw driver.

Nope, never had a tampered with fuel door, but I would still prefer a fuel door which locks when the car is locked. I didn't know the F didn't have that option. Also, the same can be said about the trunk lock; all it takes is a screw driver. I did experience that when my trunk was broken into, luckily nothing of much value was in there and they only took the jack. But I still want a boot in my F-Type that locks. Both discourage the casual thief and vandalism, but can't prevent it.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

I would think that a "casual" thief who has a gas can, a siphon hose, or a bag of sugar handy, will probably have a screw driver since virtually every other car has a locking fuel door. Look at it this way, JLR has saved you and/or your insurance company body damage and repair from such an attack. :-)

Old 07-18-2015, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

I don't really care if anyone steals my gas, and vandalism not an issue in my neighborhood. A long time ago when I was in the NW Indiana area, all foreign cars were subject to all kinds of vandalism, including, water and sugar poured into the fuel tank. I'm guessing not much of an issue these days.

I'm just interested in seeing how easy it is to address this challenge.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:23 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy

I'm just interested in seeing how easy it is to address this challenge.
+1

Old 08-13-2015, 01:34 AM
Z2F
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Discovered my 2015 V8 S cap doesn't lock while washing it last week. Googled topic, found ancient thread/discussions since 2013 and now this one. I now have a purpose in retired life and will set out to implement a mechanical release actuated from inside the trunk to correct this inhumanity. Cheers.

The following users liked this post:
schraderade (10-02-2016)
Old 08-13-2015, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Welcome to the strange world of Jaguar missing features!

Old 08-13-2015, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Any word on why they deleted this feature in the U.S.?

Old 08-13-2015, 05:20 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

It's very weird that something like that would be deleted for a specific market as it must have been a conscious decision it is not something that would just be an oversight.

I wonder if there is some kind of design standard or law in the U.S. That Jaguar couldn't meet with their locking system and didn't want to go to the expense of modifying to make it compliant.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
It's very weird that something like that would be deleted for a specific market as it must have been a conscious decision it is not something that would just be an oversight.

I wonder if there is some kind of design standard or law in the U.S. That Jaguar couldn't meet with their locking system and didn't want to go to the expense of modifying to make it compliant.
No, there is no locking fuel door requirement or standard for US vehicles, although virtually every other car sold in the US has one. Because of the massive size of the US market and brutal competition among almost all manufacturers for market share, we are lucky enough to be able to purchase virtually any vehicle for less than anywhere else in the world.

With regard to the fuel door lock delete, the only logical explanation is that JLR tried to save a few pennies wherever they could on US models. Of course, there could be a less logical explanation, which escapes me, but it's not regulatory in nature.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:45 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

No, there is no locking fuel door requirement or standard for US vehicles, although virtually every other car sold in the US has one. Because of the massive size of the US market and brutal competition among almost all manufacturers for market share, we are lucky enough to be able to purchase virtually any vehicle for less than anywhere else in the world.

With regard to the fuel door lock delete, the only logical explanation is that JLR tried to save a few pennies wherever they could on US models. Of course, there could be a less logical explanation, which escapes me, but it's not regulatory in nature.
Interesting, it might be, it is certainly true that you guys are paying a third less or more for your cars than we are here, some of that is tax but not all of it. But in most cases you seem also to get both better featured as well as cheaper, but it might be that this was one little thing they didn't think anyone would care about.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Interesting, it might be, it is certainly true that you guys are paying a third less or more for your cars than we are here, some of that is tax but not all of it. But in most cases you seem also to get both better featured as well as cheaper, but it might be that this was one little thing they didn't think anyone would care about.
Yes, I think that's it. I honestly don't care whether it's on the car or not, and one could make a good argument that it's better to not have it because they are easy to defeat with a standard screwdriver causing body damage.

However, fuel theft and vandalism are largely things in the distant past as a result of requirements that fueling systems not allow vapors to escape into the atmosphere. It's hard enough to get fuel in, much less anything else.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:32 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm totally late to this party, but I had two instances where I got back to my car and found the fuel door open. The cap was still on in both instances but it was unnerving to know that someone could have added something to the tank.

It was only after having this experience that I even knew that the fuel door didn't lock. It appears from this forum that there really isn't an easy way to add that functionality to US/Canadian cars. Anyone have any updates to this thread?

Old 10-02-2016, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bb_sam
I'm totally late to this party, but I had two instances where I got back to my car and found the fuel door open. The cap was still on in both instances but it was unnerving to know that someone could have added something to the tank.

It was only after having this experience that I even knew that the fuel door didn't lock. It appears from this forum that there really isn't an easy way to add that functionality to US/Canadian cars. Anyone have any updates to this thread?
We don't have access to enough technical data to retrofit the fuel door to lock as it does on the non-US models. However, there is a locking gas cap available that will fit. If you search on "gas cap" on this forum, you should be able to find the part number.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:40 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

I tried to purchase a locking gas cap from a gas cap dealer in England. It didn't fit and had to return it. This was the only place on the net that even advertised one so good luck finding one.

Quick Reply: Retrofitting Locking Fuel Access Door for U.S. Market