Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Return of the NorCal F-Type Meet

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 06:46 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Racer, it can be a bit difficult in these ‘interesting’ times to tell humor/sarcasm from criticism/politics, etc.

Throw a wink or sarcasm tag, etc, so we know you’re not being a jerk.
Np. If you need me to explain the difference between an upstairs virus and the downstairs virus commonly contracted at car meets, just ask.

As far as being a jerk for advocating continuing life as usual, of course I am. I am a jerk because I would prefer to see the flu run its course and take a horrible 750K/7.33B lives, annually, as it does every year with no one previously caring much, vs intentionally toying with famine that historically kills 2 out of 3. I'm insensitive that way.

Last edited by RacerX; 03-21-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
Np. If you need me to explain the difference between an upstairs virus and the downstairs virus commonly contracted at car meets, just ask.

As far as being a jerk for advocating continuing life as usual, of course I am. I am a jerk because I would prefer to see the flu run its course and take a horrible 750K/7.33B lives, annually, as it does every year with no one previously caring much, vs intentionally toying with famine that historically kills 2 out of 3. I'm insensitive that way.
You're a real humanitarian, and your science is atrocious

Old 03-21-2020, 09:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lizzardo
You're a real humanitarian, and your science is atrocious
My science is an SOS from a friend in NY who lives in an 19 story apartment building with raw sewage currently dripping through every ceiling and floor from rags flushed through the toilet system because the panic ran the entire city out of toilet paper. Not as glamorous as the red flashing news graphics, I know, especially when ordered to "shelter in place." Times how many buildings?

A few years back I had to evacuate a long term hotel stay when the fire alarm went off. When I came back from a food run the sprinklers had soaked the ceiling. As I got my stuff out they told me that floor to floor water damage (not poop, mind you) requires demolition of the building. Which they did. The fun from this mob panic over the flu has yet to begin.

Last edited by RacerX; 03-21-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:48 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Why the hell has someone who has no intention of attending a Northern California meet, come into a thread about one, to be a self-described jerk...?

Last edited by fuzzysquid; 03-21-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid
Why the hell has someone who has no intention of attending a Northern California meet, coming into a thread about one, to be a self-described jerk...?
The caring-olympics gold medalists called me a jerk for making a lighthearted joke. I agreed. Then it was my science. Maybe life is more complex that that, and you guys shouldn't be going off half cocked.

I do understand this is an emotionally charged time. I apologize.

Last edited by RacerX; 03-21-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:59 PM

That was actually someone else, not me.

But again, why have you decided to comment in this thread, about a meet you have no intention of attending? Are there no other threads you can do your schtick in?

Old 03-21-2020, 10:11 PM
Banned

That was actually someone else, not me.

But again, why have you decided to comment in this thread, about a meet you have no intention of attending? Are there no other threads you can do your schtick in?
Whether or not this and all C&Cs in general are cancelled UFN is right on topic.

I would love to drive to a Cali Jag event.

Last edited by RacerX; 03-21-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So... I kinda want to go for a drive tomorrow morning....

Old 03-22-2020, 02:34 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Spicy where are you at? I’m in Palo Alto area. I would be game for a cruise

Old 03-22-2020, 02:38 AM

Ah I see green valley. I could meet you up towards San Rafael for a cruise up 1?

Old 03-22-2020, 04:26 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudInSeattle
Ah I see green valley. I could meet you up towards San Rafael for a cruise up 1?
let me know if you guys do this I’m 35 min away from San Rafael

Old 03-22-2020, 12:30 PM

I got a late start this morning, and then have to unload a moving truck later today. Lets plan something soon.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 361 Posts

Back on topic. Whatever your political beliefs are, we are under a shelter in order. Once this clears, there will probably be a massive weekend party, then things will settle down. I'm watching the timelines to figure out what would be a good, fun event.

The following 2 users liked this post by eeeeek:
Michael1946 (03-23-2020), WayneB (03-22-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Back on topic. Whatever your political beliefs are, we are under a shelter in order. Once this clears, there will probably be a massive weekend party, then things will settle down. I'm watching the timelines to figure out what would be a good, fun event.
I would not encourage you to think about the time when this is over and wait for that time. Adjust to living in it for quite some time. Driving is a great way to get outside and enjoy nature. If a few members want to meet up and go for a cruise while maintaining a 6 ft rule, I think that’s a really safe and healthy option.

CA is shelter in place, however most states aren’t. I have been shelter-in-place since March 5th. 2 weeks is the infection period, add 2 additional weeks, and then consider that, while the R0 may be decreasing, there is a long tail with possibility of resurgence. Now consider that the rest of the nation will be offset by at least a month from CA. CA will not come off of shelter-in-place while the rest of the nation is on it. We’re going to be locked down for 2-3 months. Get out and enjoy your cars.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Going driving, within the constraints of local orders, is definitely a way to decompress. I too expect that we'll be under restrictions for quite some time, and look forward to when we can have a proper *social* gathering. Our first, arranged by Vik, would have been less enjoyable if we'd had to maintain 6 feet distance as we snacked and tasted wine.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 361 Posts

While I love my car and driving it, even I would have a hard tome justifying a group drive as 'essential'. Additionally, the destination is a big part of what I'm planning and most destination sites are not open.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:52 AM

You know, it's kind of hard to follow a thread when people go back to edit their posts with material changes, rather than just editing typos.

Life under shelter in place is... not that big of a deal? I detailed my car on Sat and exercised in the park afterwards. All following reasonable protocols. Personally I would enjoy getting together with everyone, when it feels reasonable to do so. A couple of people getting together for a drive while maintaining distance doesn't seem unreasonable.

If you aren't sure why social distancing is really important right now, or why this isn't just the flu, this was a great 8m video:

Old 03-23-2020, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

You know, it's kind of hard to follow a thread when people go back to edit their posts with material changes, rather than just editing typos.

Life under shelter in place is... not that big of a deal? I detailed my car on Sat and exercised in the park afterwards. All following reasonable protocols. Personally I would enjoy getting together with everyone, when it feels reasonable to do so. A couple of people getting together for a drive while maintaining distance doesn't seem unreasonable.
Edits. yeah. :/

Anyway, as much as I hate having to be a grown-up, I'm in agreement. I might take a slightly longer route when I run necessary errands, but that's about it. I'm still working full time and have enough to occupy me otherwise. I'll watch "Ford v Ferrari" tonight and get some vicarious driving in.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:24 PM

I ended up taking my daughter on a drive to nowhere as a daddy-daughter date.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I'm taking the opportunity to catch up on all the Whisky I missed drinking while playing softball and cruising around in the Jag.

Quick Reply: Return of the NorCal F-Type Meet