Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 07:48 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts
Default Road Noise

I have noticed excessive road noise which became all the more apparent on a recent trip over not so smooth pavement. Most of the noise comes from the rear tires and is quite loud. I'm wondering if the brand of tires (mine are Continentals) may be the cause or if this is a common problem across different brands and if anyone has encountered the same and what they may have done to address it--additional sound proofing perhaps?

Old 07-02-2018, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
I have noticed excessive road noise which became all the more apparent on a recent trip over not so smooth pavement. Most of the noise comes from the rear tires and is quite loud. I'm wondering if the brand of tires (mine are Continentals) may be the cause or if this is a common problem across different brands and if anyone has encountered the same and what they may have done to address it--additional sound proofing perhaps?
How worn are your tires? Worn tires usually make a lot more noise than new ones.

The following users liked this post:
Polyesterpig (05-07-2023)
Old 07-02-2018, 11:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
How worn are your tires? Worn tires usually make a lot more noise than new ones.
Purchased new on April 25, 2018, the car only has 1,269 miles on it.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

I get a lot of road noise on bad pavement too. It's always been that way. I expect it's coming in the same way as the exhaust sound from the rear. If you're still running the symposer, you may not notice that as much because it gets drowned out by sound pumped through the firewall.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I get a lot of road noise on bad pavement too. It's always been that way. I expect it's coming in the same way as the exhaust sound from the rear. If you're still running the symposer, you may not notice that as much because it gets drowned out by sound pumped through the firewall.
Mine is a base 2018 model and I don't think it has a symposer. If it does, I certainly can't detect any enhanced effects. My order detail sheet lists "LESS internal sound enhancement". Is that another name for symposer, and thus proof that it isn't so equipped?

Old 07-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

What sort of cars are you used to? If you are coming from more luxurious GT type cars - the F Type has a lot more road noise transmitted into the cabin by comparison.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ek993
What sort of cars are you used to? If you are coming from more luxurious GT type cars - the F Type has a lot more road noise transmitted into the cabin by comparison.
I traded a 2015 Maserati Ghibli base model with 19" wheels. Tires were Pirelli P Zero Nero that had 11K miles on them.
If road noise is common to the F-Type I'm wondering if insulating the rear wheel wells would be a solution and if anyone has done it.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I've noticed more road noise of late, particularly from rear tires, but I was attributing it to 11.5K on the Pzeros.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Mine is a base 2018 model and I don't think it has a symposer. If it does, I certainly can't detect any enhanced effects. My order detail sheet lists "LESS internal sound enhancement". Is that another name for symposer, and thus proof that it isn't so equipped?
I think that is indeed what that means, but hadn't heard anything about that. I find it interesting that it's now optional, because I'd have opted out in a heartbeat.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

All V6 and V8 F-Types had the symposer but maybe now it's an option on at least the V6?
Anyway, I also find there is a fair whack of road noise from the rear and I reckon most of it is coming through the rear wheel arches.
I tried to buy a can of spray on sound deadener about a year ago with the idea of spraying it on the rear wheel arch liners, but the sale fell through.
I don't know if it would have made much if any difference but I thought it would be worth a try.
I have also thought about removing the rear wheel arch liners and sticking sound insulation matting on the undersides, but it would have been a tricky job, expensive, and I was worried that the arch liners might not go back on nicely, so I never got around to it.
I might look into the spray on idea again.

Old 04-29-2023, 03:46 AM
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

I did this on my 2013 Mustang GT 10 years ago.

The product is called DYNAMAT and what a difference it made.

Did the inside of the doors, floor and trunk

Killed all road noise and allowed for the sweet exhaust notes to be nicely heard - photos below

It's on my list for the P300

RWS

Old 05-31-2024, 05:40 AM

Traded the P300 last week for a P450 AWD

never got to this (above post)

Anyone been there done that, or will I be the first ?

Running Michelins, but thinking to kill the rough pavement road noise to better enjoy the exhaust.

Taking a trip soon and will be starting off with Dynamat on the door panels skins first.

BEST !

RWS

Old 05-31-2024, 09:02 AM
Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo

i can confirm mostof the noise, like 70%, is coming from the rear.

i lined the whole trunk with both sound deadening and cotton sheet (whatever they are called), plus felt tapping most hard contact trims, it has brought the luxury back into the F.

One downside is the exhaust note is also subdued considerably, but that’s not really a con all things considered, one can always crack the window a lil bit for the full glory.

Aside from standard locations like the doors, i have also slathered the front wheel liner with said materials, though i don’t think i have got that much benefits from it.

Rear wheel liner hasn’t been done, i doubt it’s gonna make a lot of difference, if at all, since the inside has already been covered.

Thunderjet Racing (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 10:14 AM

THANK YOU !

How difficult to get into the forward part of the rear wheel well?

BEST !

RWS

Old 05-31-2024, 10:20 AM

Wheel liners are easy, drop the wheels and that’s it, some sort of sound insulation already present in the wheel well.

To get to the inside, it’s a bit more involved, the trunk side pieces are the last things to come out, search for lowering spring/audio build for more info, every trim has to come out for full access.

Old 05-31-2024, 10:50 AM

Found this on line. <SEE PHOTO BELOW>

In addition to the doors, this seems like a good place to start with the Dynamat, and see what happens from there.

While the Michelins are far quieter than the Pirellis, on certain road surfaces that tire contact noise is very evident.

Would much rather enjoy the exhaust, and other car sounds.

Old 05-31-2024, 01:25 PM
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

You will get better results using a sound absorbing material like in the link below in the open areas behind the rear panels. Materials like dynamat are designed to reduce the resonance and vibration of the panel it is attached too, not absorb or block the sound. It's not the same as sound absorbing material like Fibermat or sound barrier materials like mass loaded vinyl. Those thick foam blocks in the rear corners are sound absorbers for example.

https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/pr...tion-material/

Thunderjet Racing (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jag Bass
You will get better results using a sound absorbing material like in the link below in the open areas behind the rear panels. Materials like dynamat are designed to reduce the resonance and vibration of the panel it is attached too, not absorb or block the sound. It's not the same as sound absorbing material like Fibermat or sound barrier materials like mass loaded vinyl. Those thick foam blocks in the rear corners are sound absorbers for example.

https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/pr...tion-material/
Which material would be best if you can only lay one more layer after sound deadening?

And is there any practical difference between sound blocking and sound absorbing? And what the hell is decoupling?

Old 06-01-2024, 03:51 PM
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
Which material would be best if you can only lay one more layer after sound deadening?

And is there any practical difference between sound blocking and sound absorbing? And what the hell is decoupling?
Sound blocking is what you use a mass loaded vinyl for but there can to be no gaps in the vinyl barrier between you and the sound source. Decoupling is where you prevent sound vibrations from passing from one material to another. Sound absorbing material like fibermat convert sound passing through it and dissipates it into heat energy. Resonix Sound Solutions website has tons of information to get you up to speed on the different types of materials and how they work.

Thunderjet Racing (06-01-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 09:18 PM

Well, I did the deed today.

Doors & trunk got a good dose of Dynamat.

I also had some nice sized pieces of SOUNDOWN INSULATION Acoustic Insulation Solutions - Soundown Products from a boat project - see photos below.

These were stuffed into the areas above the wheelwells in addition to the Dynamat.

The results were similar to those in my Mustang.....
  • dramatic sound system improvement
  • quieter ride, especially on rough pavement and I'm running the Michelins
  • exhaust note is now clean, sweet and clear with no mixing of sounds.
  • doors feel solid and sound solid when closing
  • of note - like the Mustang, I'm also using Lloyds Mats for the floor and trunk
Maybe it's just me, but interestingly enough, I can now hear the supercharger, where i could not hear it before.

should you choose this path here's a couple of tips:
  • prepare to sacrifice the 6 plastic trim plugs holding the aft trunk cover in place
  • remember to reseat the trunk seal back on to the trim when done
  • remember to attach the wires to the trunk lights before final reassembly, or you'll be doing this twice (like me)
  • remove the door woofer for easier access into the back side of the door skin
  • a good bit of the wheel well is hidden behind the seal, I did that Dynamat portion by feel, don't forget this part as its close to half the exposure
  • the use of an electric impact will really speed the door panel part of this project - just be gentle and use the hand tool for the real tighten.
  • Attaching the factory manual detail (below) for the trunk (boot) setup
here's a link that was most helpful for the trunk with LOTS of detail: Boot panel removal - help please - Jaguar F-Type Forum (ftypeforums.co.uk)

For me, this was a VERY WORTHY project, and yes, I likely did go overboard with the Dynamat, but I felt better with more of it on the car rather than it sitting unused in my garage.

We enjoy and drive these cars for the sensations and the emotions, the sound being one of them.

I've reduced the bad sounds so I can better enjoy the thrill of the good sounds !

Photos to follow.

BEST !

RWS

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Trunk_Panels_Removal.pdf (268.4 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Thunderjet Racing; 06-01-2024 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Road Noise