Sponsored by:

Road And Track 1st Review - AWD and Manuals

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Default Road And Track 1st Review - AWD and Manuals

First Drive: 2016 Jaguar F-Type Manual and AWD

The following 9 users liked this post by Cambo:
deltagroup (02-04-2015), DJS (02-03-2015), DuhCar (02-03-2015), enderle (02-03-2015), Mulmur (02-03-2015), necoblitz (02-03-2015), OzRisk (02-04-2015), swajames (02-03-2015), Unhingd (02-03-2015) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-03-2015, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Cambo,
Thank you for the article. All of it is what I suspected and, for the 6 speed and EPAS, everything I was hoping for. I will probably be looking for a short-shifter as it appears that the shifter on the ZF doesn't really qualify as one.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:44 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Fingers crossed that the shifter is a standard ZF part same as what's used on the S6-45 in the BMW's, because there are plenty of short-shifter kits available for the Beemers...

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Reviews like this make me think that the V8 RWD might become a sought after model in the used market as time goes on. Now I want to see what that AWD actually translates to on the track vs the RWD R.

The manual V6S sounds like a blast to drive though.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Reviews like this make me think that the V8 RWD might become a sought after model in the used market as time goes on. Now I want to see what that AWD actually translates to on the track vs the RWD R.

I suspect you are correct. The V8R & V8S rwd will be the collector cars, the V6S MT will be the driver's car, and the awd will be for the masses. I also suspect with all the computer intervention, the AWD is bound to be much quicker now that it can put the power down to almost twice as much rubber.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX

I've been holding my breath waiting for the first reviews of the AWD R to see whether I made the right decision to not wait, and get the RWD instead.

This first review makes me think I did. Time will tell, I guess.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:18 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Here's the text:
Jaguar
For 2016, Jaguar is making a few updates to the F-Type's lineup. The three big ones you need to know:

1. All four wheels get in on the party.
One of our favorite things about Jaguar's V8 sports car was that its rear wheels downright refused to follow its fronts. Apply any throttle at all, and the F-Type turned into an Ikea shopping cart—great traction at front, casters at the back. It was the ultimate English drift machine.

It probably tried to kill every one of its 80-year-old buyers. Which, we suspect, is the real reason that the rear-drive hooligan-machine V8 F-Type is dead. So, too, is the low-output 510-hp V8. From now on, if you want an F-Type with a V8 engine, it'll send 550 hp to all four wheels.

The F-Type's computer-controlled all-wheel drive system sends power forward via a shaft exiting the side of its ZF 8-speed automatic transmission. It can send anything from no power forward to about half the engine's output, and anywhere in between. Jaguar's made lots of noise about keeping the old car's rear-drive feel, something it's accomplished by favoring rear-drive unless it's necessary to send power to the front.

Since the system is predictive, you'll be hard-pressed to spin the rears: in fact, we drove V6-powered AWD F-Types on a wet autocross course and the cars exploded off the line with not a single squeak.

On a dry track, the F-Type does indeed send power to the rear on initial throttle applications. That serves to fling the car sideways—and then the system quickly transfers torque forward, pulling the car straight. Unfortunately, the transition is anything but natural, and it doesn't occur when or how you want it to. Getting the all-wheel-drive F-Type to actually drift around a corner takes serious work, huge commitment, and a lot of real estate.
And many aborted attempts. The previous rear-drive car might have been a hilarious handful at the limit, but this one is just plain unpredictable. It's safe to say the addition of all-wheel drive has turned the F-Type from a car that did exactly what an experienced driver asked of it into one that does what it wants instead. There's no question that, with all driver aids on, it'll be faster around a race track—and far easier to drive on the street—but it's no longer a trustworthy back-road drift companion. Oh well, looks like we'll have to lust after the V6. Which is fine, because… see point No. 2.

2. A proper manual, at last.
Rumor has it that Jaguar put a manual transmission in this sports car not because we journalists moaned about the lack of a clutch pedal—but because dealers reported that real-world customers wanted it. Well, holy synchros, the world hasn't completely gone to hell.

For 2016, the F-Type is available with a ZF 6-speed manual on both the 340-hp base V6 model and the 380-hp V6S. The manual is incompatible with all-wheel drive, so don't ask for it.

Jaguar claims the manual has a short-throw shifter with "just" 1.77 inches of travel. Uh, seems the development engineers haven't driven a Miata lately. That said, the shifter doesn't have a truckishly long throw—in fact, if you closed your eyes while playing with the stick, you'd swear you were in a BMW. The Jag shares the Bavarian's longish, rubbery feel. That's not a bad thing, especially if you're a BMW fan, but the shifter is certainly no Honda, Porsche, or Miata.

The clutch is smooth in its take-up, with appropriate pedal effort. It did seem a bit weak on our V6S test car, however, refusing to clamp down sufficiently after quick shifts. Let's hope this was due to previous abuse and not an inherent weakness. Especially because the new stick-shift Jag is even more fun to fling around back roads than before.

Jaguar
Jaguar's 90-degree V6 (which, remember, is basically the V8 with the rearmost cylinders unused) is even harsher and more unrefined here than with the automatic. It reminds us of the Nissan VQ37VHR last-generation Infiniti G37, with a beautiful, melodic exhaust noise filling the hills and dales, but a marbles-in-a-blender soundtrack inside the car. Solution: put the top down and beat it mercilessly.

Showing us that the engineers at Jaguar "get it," there is no stupid auto-blipping feature; you'll have to learn to heel-and-toe all by your big-boy self. And don't think you'll be able to mask your bad shifts with the stereo—the volume control is all but blocked in first, third, or fifth gears. Rightfully so: the addition of that clutch pedal transforms the F-Type V6 into a real driver's car, not a cruise-the-strip machine. Finally.

3. Electric power steering that's up to par.
The engineers who play with leaping cats have resisted installing electric power steering in their cars until it was, in their words, "developed far enough." This is one of the many reasons we love Jaguar engineers.

WE RECOMMEND
Watch Ken Block slide the 2016 Ford Focus RS around
We won't go so far as to say that the F-Type's electric setup is better than the old hydraulic—it's not, or even as good as the electric setup in the new XE—but this is a fantastic start. In fact, it's so good that it gives us hope for the future. If EPAS had started out feeling like this, we wouldn't have needed to complain about it these past few years.

The weighting is completely natural once you're moving past parking-lot speeds. (It's terribly overboosted for easy maneuvering at a crawling pace.) Low-frequency on-center feel (the wheel coming alive in your hands when you hit things like one-wheeled bumps) is actually present—something we haven't experienced in most EPAS systems. The high-frequency stuff is still missing, though, so you can drive over cobblestones and not feel them in the least. And you won't be able to tell when your right wheel is riding along the white line on the right side of the road.

Jaguar's old HPAS was magnificent in on-center feel, and though the new EPAS isn't quite as good, it's better than many (most?) other companies' hydraulic setups. We'll call this a new start for electric assist and hope that it just gets better from here on out.

All of the new 2016 F-Type models will be on sale in the summer of 2015.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:24 AM

After reading this I'm still just as unsure about an early upgrade.

I like that they say these unpredictable handling issues only occur at the limits.

However I don't know what they define as limit. Is it dsc off and drifting, or is it fast cornering in dynamic mode? I don't drift since this is a street car for me, but I do take fast corners when on country drives

Last edited by StealthPilot; 02-04-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

My take is that AWD will be faster, safer, and more "predictable" (in the sense that loss of control is less likely) for 90% of drivers who have little or no high performance driving experience. For the 10% with above average/semi-pro skills, it will be less "fun" and "predictable" (in the sense it will be harder to rotate the car when they want to), albeit likely quicker around a road circuit.

It's always hard to tell with car magazine reviewers, who generally attribute to themselves "semi-pro" skills.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
My take is that AWD will be faster, safer, and more "predictable" (in the sense that loss of control is less likely) for 90% of drivers who have little or no high performance driving experience. For the 10% with above average/semi-pro skills, it will be less "fun" and "predictable" (in the sense it will be harder to rotate the car when they want to), albeit likely quicker around a road circuit. It's always hard to tell with car magazine reviewers, who generally attribute to themselves "semi-pro" skills.

Wonder if I should upgrade. Maybe time to have a chat with dealer.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:29 AM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Here's some text from the most recent Motor Trend article

First Drive:
2016 Jaguar F-Type Manual, AWD
Reclawing the Cat: Jaguar's Flagship Is a Work in Progress

Now the good news. We also got to play with pre-pro versions of the AWD F-Type on the old Estoril F1 circuit. Job well done, Jag. I've been (ridiculously) lucky enough to have been assigned both of Motor Trend's long-term F-Types (the 380-horse V6 S convertible first, followed by our current Coupe R). Moreover, I've spent a good deal of time behind the wheel of the V8 S. For the first time ever I found myself fully able to bury the throttle without fear of massive, butt-first-into-a-tree oversteer. The sex cat now grips, and that equals confidence. Confidence leads to faster laps, part of what owning a sports car is all about. Four wheels driven will also help with acceleration. However, seeing as how we've clocked the Coupe R to 60 mph in 3.6 seconds and through the quarter mile in 11.8 seconds at 122.3 mph, being quicker is hardly an issue.

Read more: 2016 Jaguar F-Type Manual, AWD First Drive - Motor Trend

Old 02-04-2015, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Joz132
Here's some text from the most recent Motor Trend article First Drive: 2016 Jaguar F-Type Manual, AWD Reclawing the Cat: Jaguar's Flagship Is a Work in Progress Now the good news. We also got to play with pre-pro versions of the AWD F-Type on the old Estoril F1 circuit. Job well done, Jag. I've been (ridiculously) lucky enough to have been assigned both of Motor Trend's long-term F-Types (the 380-horse V6 S convertible first, followed by our current Coupe R). Moreover, I've spent a good deal of time behind the wheel of the V8 S. For the first time ever I found myself fully able to bury the throttle without fear of massive, butt-first-into-a-tree oversteer. The sex cat now grips, and that equals confidence. Confidence leads to faster laps, part of what owning a sports car is all about. Four wheels driven will also help with acceleration. However, seeing as how we've clocked the Coupe R to 60 mph in 3.6 seconds and through the quarter mile in 11.8 seconds at 122.3 mph, being quicker is hardly an issue. Read more: 2016 Jaguar F-Type Manual, AWD First Drive - Motor Trend
Sounds great. Did they get 0-60 and quarter mile times for new one?

Old 02-04-2015, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Hmmm . . . good report from Motortrend, but not at all kind to the manual transmission model.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

AWD may need a little more work. One of the comments made in the piece, "Unfortunately, the transition is anything but natural, and it doesn't occur when or how you want it to" gives me pause whether the F-Type's AWD system is really ready for prime time. While the AWD system in the new XE may be different in some ways (I don't know, though I imagine the two systems are similar in design if not strength), I understand the XE is being held up (in North America, anyway) due to AWD issue(s).

Old 02-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by deltagroup
AWD may need a little more work. One of the comments made in the piece, "Unfortunately, the transition is anything but natural, and it doesn't occur when or how you want it to" gives me pause whether the F-Type's AWD system is really ready for prime time. While the AWD system in the new XE may be different in some ways (I don't know, though I imagine the two systems are similar in design if not strength), I understand the XE is being held up (in North America, anyway) due to AWD issue(s).
That was one reviewer's opinion. The Motor Trend guy said the exact opposite.

Joz132 (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 10:40 AM

Understand that the litmus will come from the "90%."

Old 02-04-2015, 11:39 AM

And the opinions are coming in. Autoweek's First Drive...

2016 Jaguar F-Type AWD plus stick shift(!) first drive | Autoweek

Mulmur (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

+1

Old 02-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmm . . . good report from Motortrend, but not at all kind to the manual transmission model.
The MT writer is a mechanical moron:
"Dump the third pedal, floor it, and you can feel the clutch slipping against the engine's copious torque. You can smell the burning, too. Hopefully this is simply a pre-production issue, and doesn't mean the ZF box can't handle the instant supercharged torque."
The ability of the clutch to hold is in no way dependent upon the capability of the transmission. The clutch was probably pre-destroyed by previous reviewers who don't give a flying c*** about burning out a test car clutch. Even if it were a new clutch, switching to a better one is an easy fix.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Patiently waiting by the mailbox now,lol...

Quick Reply: Road And Track 1st Review - AWD and Manuals