Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Trip?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Road Trip?

TL;DR - Do any of you have any advice, experience, thoughts, or comments on a long, multi-week road trip in an F-Type?

Cheers all. This summer I am thinking of doing a 2 week road trip through a bunch of the National Parks and Lodges... Norcal to Willamette Valley, from there up through northern Idaho to come down the 2 through Glacier, south to Yellowstone, then Jackson Hole, then Estes Park / Boulder and through the mountains to Amangiri in Utah, maybe Bryce / Arches, maybe Grand Canyon, then take the 50 back through Nevada and head through Yosemite. Loose plans, something like that.

I've the luggage set, and might try to bring the car cover in case of dust storms, etc.

I've driven 4 hours in the car without any issues, at all, in any way. I am tall, so I worry about cramps, etc. But I haven't tried 6-8 hour drives, and trying to figure out how to break up the mileage and days.

Any comments / thoughts / opinions are welcome.

Route planning here: https://goo.gl/Zx1ADr

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 01-20-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
TL;DR - Do any of you have any advice, experience, thoughts, or comments on a long, multi-week road trip in an F-Type?

Cheers all. This summer I am thinking of doing a 2 week road trip through a bunch of the National Parks and Lodges... Norcal to Willamette Valley, from there up through northern Idaho to come down the 2 through Glacier, south to Yellowstone, then Jackson Hole, then Estes Park / Boulder and through the mountains to Amangiri in Utah, maybe Bryce / Arches, maybe Grand Canyon, then take the 50 back through Nevada and head through Yosemite. Loose plans, something like that.

I've the luggage set, and might try to bring the car cover in case of dust storms, etc.

I've driven 4 hours in the car without any issues, at all, in any way. I am tall, so I worry about cramps, etc. But I haven't tried 6-8 hour drives, and trying to figure out how to break up the mileage and days.

Any comments / thoughts / opinions are welcome.

Route planning here: https://goo.gl/Zx1ADr
I've done a cross country trip (Dallas to Philadelphia) with my son this past summer in the F-Type. It was awesome! I'm also 6'3". I could drive about 4 hours then had to stretch my legs, but by that time it was time to for a fuel stop anyway. Make sure you take your wallet out of your back pocket! I let my son do a little driving too, but we spent 12 hour days driving in the car. No problems at all! (Take a spare quart of oil with you just in case. It is VERY difficult to find in some places as only dealers seem to sell it, and out on a country road trip you might be hard pressed to find a "local dealer".

Be prepared to spend a little more time at gas stations / rest stops / and your little rest breaks... People outside of major metro areas haven't seen an F-Type in person, and you will get crowds of people wanting to look at it and talk about it. I almost always paid for my gas on a credit card at the pump, and then went in to use the restroom, buy a snack and a drink... When I came out to my car 4 out of 5 times there were at least 2 or 3 people gathered around it amazed by what was in their town.

You'll also be the one singled out from a pack of speeders if the local PD are out with Radar...

Last edited by TXJagR; 01-20-2016 at 10:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (01-21-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 10:30 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I've done six 900-mile non-stop trips (except for gas and bathrooms) in mine, and find it a great GT car (except for lack of luggage space.) I'm 5'10" so no issue there. I'm planning to get one of the waterproof luggage bags that straps on the trunk for times when I might have a passenger.

Sounds like a great trip!

Old 01-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

First off, leave the dust cover. I had a hard time putting luggage for two people for a week in there. I also have the the luggage set. 1,600 trip from Maryland through the Blue Ridge Mountains to Nashville, TN and back. 6 to 7 hour days and a 10+ hour ride back home the last day. We had no problems with cramps or the seats other than of course not moving for so long but came home rested. Better than in our Porsches. the seats in the P cars sooner or later sat through and were hard with little lower back support.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Two 900 mile round trips to Cape Cod from Baltimore area in the past 4 months, 7 hour stints with one stop for the bathroom (did not even need gas!). Comfortable, milage around 28mpg at average speed of 70mph. luggage for me (one bag and a laptop bag) and 4 bags for my wife. Very comfortable and no cramps on northeast bad roads. I would think 7-8 hour runs should be no problem for most folks. Agree on removing the wallet, at least it fits in the between the seat compartment. The joy of driving it mitigates any minor issues.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:13 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

The only thing I want to see more than pics of most of your F-Types is pictures of your F-Types loaded with stuff.

I still haven't tried to load a few suitcases into my trunk and I have this sinking feeling it won't go well.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
The only thing I want to see more than pics of most of your F-Types is pictures of your F-Types loaded with stuff.

I still haven't tried to load a few suitcases into my trunk and I have this sinking feeling it won't go well.
soft sided bags work best.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:21 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

I would get the rockers, front and the fenders covered in Xpel or similar protectant. I have driven to Montana and Wyoming quite a few times and have never failed to run into road work on 2 lane roads. Have been made to drive for miles through either gravel or fresh oiled blacktop. Once you get off the interstate you never know what you'll run into.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:30 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I posted this photo earlier on another thread. I was able to get all this gear, 5 pieces, into the boot after removing the sun shade. And there was room for smaller items like shoes and un-used space in the rear haunches on both sides. Also I didn't use that extra storage space beneath the floor of the boot.

Attached Thumbnails Road Trip?-jaguar-f-type-test-drive.-2016-05-11-001.jpg  
Old 01-21-2016, 08:37 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

I think the OP has a convertible? Limits luggage space to about a bag of Doritos.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I think the OP has a convertible? Limits luggage space to about a bag of Doritos.
LOL. Well a few bottles of wine and bubbles, the martini set. LOL

I have heard people pre-planning to just ship stuff via hotels.

I thanked whoever mentioned the protectant. I have the 3M coat... that should do wonders. This is getting exciting! WOOT!!

Thank you all for comments and responses! All thanked.

I have gotten plenty of luggage in the car, to the point of being really surprised. Soft sided for sure, but the affordable and durable F-Type luggage is really surprising. I've taken to using the garment bag on work trips... works better than two others I have. big bag should be great for wifey. I will keep you posted. Gotta book the rooms! =)

Good point on being singled out, good point on the crowds. It's still sort of surprising to me how few people look or ask in the SF Bay area. But I end up touring with two or three just commuting in or out of my town. They seem to be liked in Marin!

Old 01-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I've done six 900-mile non-stop trips (except for gas and bathrooms) in mine, and find it a great GT car (except for lack of luggage space.) I'm 5'10" so no issue there. I'm planning to get one of the waterproof luggage bags that straps on the trunk for times when I might have a passenger.

Sounds like a great trip!
OH WOW please link.

This is massively stupid, but that look would be GREAT, and I've seen it... on this car, in a video game:

http://prod.hosted.cloud.rockstargam...w1mgzg_0_0.jpg

Old 01-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws

Also... to all, I put the wallet in the front pocket 20 years ago. =)

convertible f-type luggage set approx $800:
garment bag slides into the thin, back area. the rest piles in like a puzzle. the dop/shave kit is nice and functional, the laptop bag is great for work, but not really important "additions". It's really the two big pieces aside from the garment bag. The run flat should fit no problem, and enough extra room between bags for some wine, shoes, etc

Old 01-21-2016, 01:44 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Here's the link. Worth reading the rest of the thread - sounds like these wouldn't work on the coupe as you can't lock the spoiler in the up position in the coupe. I think.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...0/#post1237405

Old 01-21-2016, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Here's the link. Worth reading the rest of the thread - sounds like these wouldn't work on the coupe as you can't lock the spoiler in the up position in the coupe. I think.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...0/#post1237405
I actually bumped that thread by accident, but curious of anyone who has done extended trips and used this the proper metal rack, and whether it deforms or hurts the trunk?

Jaguar F Type Convertible,Mercedes Benz SLK, Toyota MR2, Boot Luggage Rack