F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 07:17 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

The owners manual for my 2021 says that the EPB actuates automatically each time you put the car in Park. However, I still pull up the EPB tab to engage the e-brake when I park on a slope, whether it is uphill or downhill. I can hear the brake engage or at least I am hearing the electronics trying to engage it.
If the EPB engages each time the transmission is put in Park, is the only purpose for the switch is to have a parking brake when the car is in Neutral ?

One thing I always do, probably from force of habit from driving cars with manual transmissions for the better part of 50 years is to have my foot firmly on the brake pedal when engaging any kind of emergency brake whether manual or electronic. I also put my foot firmly on the brake again when disengaging. I was taught that that relieves pressure on the parking brake pawl or gear and makes it easier to release the brake.

When using the EPB in my Jaguar I keep my foot firmly on the brake pedal, shift into Park, pull up on the EPB tab, switch the ignition off and then slowly take my foot off the brake pedal making sure that the car doesn't move.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dwight Frye:
Nodnarb (08-31-2021), Yus (09-02-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 10:31 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
When using the EPB in my Jaguar I keep my foot firmly on the brake pedal, shift into Park, pull up on the EPB tab, switch the ignition off and then slowly take my foot off the brake pedal making sure that the car doesn't move.
My technique is almost the same as yours: foot firmly on the brake pedal (I park on a slope), pull up on the EPB tab, shift into Park, foot off the brake and switch off.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:55 PM
Received 441 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
My technique is almost the same as yours: foot firmly on the brake pedal (I park on a slope), pull up on the EPB tab, shift into Park, foot off the brake and switch off.
To insure no strain on the transmission, the proper order should be:
  1. Apply foot on brake
  2. Apply EPB
  3. Lift foot off brake (BUT be ready to apply quickly if car doesn't hold) to verify EPB is holding car
  4. Shift into park
  5. Switch off
If you switch #3 and #4 then you really don't know if it's the EPB or the transmission that is holding the vehicle. I've never had a single instance of panic with step 3 on a vehicle with a working parking brake...it should hold the car completely on its own--even on the steepest of slopes.

When leaving, the correct order is:
  1. Start vehicle
  2. Apply foot on brake
  3. Release EPB
  4. Shift into D or R
  5. Lift foot off brake
This order ensures you hand the weight of the car off from the EPB to the hydraulic brakes. If you shift into gear before the brake transfer you risk loading the transmission and not the brakes.

The following users liked this post:
Dwight Frye (09-01-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 10:59 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

For those interested in EPB details - for MY14, at least...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uajlxghl1a...brake.pdf?dl=0

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (09-01-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nodnarb
Pics of what I am talking about

Pulling but no engaging

Holding trim piece that covers this red rope handle
Separate from the original post - good to see this. I think this is the release brake if the car needs to be towed or manually towed onto a tow bed. Good to know that it seems easy to find as that is my biggest concern! I’ve had difficulty with tow companies in not sending the right type of equipment for towing & typically end up being the one to drive the car up the ramp - even with a blow out. Also good to know how well the car did during a blow out!!! Fabulous! Plenty of warning & steady hold while slowing down.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

Your right in Québec highway speed limit 100 Km/H(62 mph but HW-patrol tolerate under 120 km/H(74mph).
Like my Xf Jag are stiil with whims

Cheers,

Jean