F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2024, 12:05 PM
Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Roadtrip

Just got back from a 2 week roadtrip from LA to Portland. I didn't see ONE other Jaguar of any kind on the road, and I was passing a lot of cars. No F Types, no XJ's, not even a single F Pace. No nuthin. I'll admit I wasn't looking at cars in the other direction but still I was surprised. Also, there are approximately a billion Rogues, Camrys and Outbacks out there.

The F Type is a hugely underrated roadtrip car, I highly recommend the experience.

The following 4 users liked this post by uclabrruin1989:
Luc Lapierre (Yesterday), scm (09-02-2024), sov211 (Yesterday), uncheel (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 12:24 PM
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by uclabrruin1989
Just got back from a 2 week roadtrip from LA to Portland. I didn't see ONE other Jaguar of any kind on the road, and I was passing a lot of cars. No F Types, no XJ's, not even a single F Pace. No nuthin. I'll admit I wasn't looking at cars in the other direction but still I was surprised. Also, there are approximately a billion Rogues, Camrys and Outbacks out there.

The F Type is a hugely underrated roadtrip car, I highly recommend the experience.
Out for a cruise this morning and thinking how comfortable and quiet these cars actually are. The car is still very novel for me. They cars are Jekyll and Hyde cars for sure...Very well rounded purchase these things are.

Old 09-02-2024, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 616 Likes on 417 Posts

Now that your cat has marked its territory, others will know to stay away.

Old 09-02-2024, 03:49 PM
Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Photo or it didn't happen!

Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM
Received 440 Likes on 180 Posts

Two weeks to travel from LA to Portland, OR? You must have made a lot of stops along the way--or was it Portland, ME, in which case you must have made a lot of stops along the way!

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by SassySarah
Two weeks to travel from LA to Portland, OR? You must have made a lot of stops along the way--or was it Portland, ME, in which case you must have made a lot of stops along the way!
You need to reimagine how you take Roadtrips! I once went from San Diego to Eureka, California and it took me close to two weeks. It's all about the route you choose.

Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM
Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

We spent most of the time in Portland and central Oregon, where some relatives live.

I've made the trip many times before but this was the first in the F Type. I-5 in CA is mostly boring but fast. From about Mt. Shasta to about Roseburg OR is a great drive though. Southern Oregon is kind of mountainous and beautiful. Lots of fast, twisty roads and long sweeping turns. The F Type was perfect for that. If you can pack with discipline, it's a great road trip car.

Trending Topics

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 360 Posts

We spent most of the time in Portland and central Oregon, where some relatives live.

I've made the trip many times before but this was the first in the F Type. I-5 in CA is mostly boring but fast. From about Mt. Shasta to about Roseburg OR is a great drive though. Southern Oregon is kind of mountainous and beautiful. Lots of fast, twisty roads and long sweeping turns. The F Type was perfect for that. If you can pack with discipline, it's a great road trip car.
That's my issue with Road Trips with a passenger in the F-Type. My wife's biggest complaint is there is nowhere to put her purse. The last generation Vantages had a nice little cubby behind the seats that was easy to get to that would hold smaller items, like a purse. The new Vantage is like the F-Type, with no space behind the seats.

She can put her purse in the already full trunk, but then it's out of her reach. In a pinch, I have had her put it in the space where the convertible top folds into; however, that could lead to disaster if one us forgot an tried to put the top down.

Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Earlier this summer, we did a similar road trip, in reverse (Seattle to SF Bay Area, with stops in Sacto, Napa, and Eureka.). Unfortunately, mine was more of a 'Hyde' experience, winding up having to deal with 5 (yep five!) new tires, battery issues (as in, refusing to start engine), and complete lack of JLR support anywhere. (as in IF you can find a Jag dealership, it's "Well, we *might* fit you in on Friday next week"). No pics, though, I'm refusing to provide evidence.

Plus... it was &^$%^* HOT!!! (June)

Other comments:
- I did see only one other Jag (an XF), plus the requisite Fords, Toyotas, campers, trailers, etc., and ENORMOUS numbers of Teslas. But few of those, if any, between cities (unless on semi-trailer car haulers... or tow trucks).
- While mostly boring, mileage on I-5 was exceptional. "Journeys" claimed 35+mpg on some stages. (V6 AWD)
- Even with 200lbs less GVW in the V6, the extra road-trip weight made for some uncomfortable bumpy rides through Sacto, Yolo, Napa, Sonoma, and most other Nor Cal 'county' roads. (Fun though!!)
- The "Avenue of the Giants" section along highway 101 through the Redwoods is MUCH better top down <sigh>.
- Next time, we'll take the drive up the Columbia River route over to Bend.

(Note to self: locking lug nuts may not be a good idea for road trips, esp. when storing the key next to the battery and having to unload all luggage and entire trunk to get to it.)

The following users liked this post:
Thunder Dump (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,251 Likes on 2,398 Posts

"(Note to self: locking lug nuts may not be a good idea for road trips, esp. when storing the key next to the battery and having to unload all luggage and entire trunk to get to it.)"
I reckon you should put the lock key in the centre console cubby, that's where I put a few things that might be useful in a roadside emergency such as a spare fob battery, a stubby screwdriver and a mini torch/flashlight.