Sponsored by:

Rod Knock?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rod Knock?

Hello everyone I own a
2016 F Type V6S

just hit my 100k mile mark! She’s a real beast!

However this noise has appeared and I am hoping it is not rod knock. This noise disappears when driving only appears during idle.

any clue what it can be???

cars runs perfectly! No issues

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/b76j7ue40y621m2mv04rg/IMG_7739.mov?rlkey=egh93u6v5bo04au792b3uzihn&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/b76j7ue40y621m2mv04rg/IMG_7739.mov?rlkey=egh93u6v5bo04au792b3uzihn&dl=0

Last edited by Justin4u973; 08-25-2023 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:24 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Rod knock would not go away, it would get lighter the lower the rpm's. Give us more info, does it run rough, miss or what??
Only listened to the first video, does not sound like a rod knock but really hard to tell. Sounds more like a sewing machine, which might be a stuck or dropped valve, but need more info.

Last edited by randyb; 08-25-2023 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:42 PM
Default Edited

Originally Posted by randyb
Rod knock would not go away, it would get lighter the lower the rpm's. Give us more info, does it run rough, miss or what??
Only listened to the first video, does not sound like a rod knock but really hard to tell. Sounds more like a sewing machine, which might be a stuck or dropped valve, but need more info.
thanks for the suggestion about more information.. the car runs and drives perfectly. No rough idles or rough driving and smooth rpm’s all around .

Old 08-26-2023, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Doesn't sound like any of the usual culprits I have heard before on the V6 or V8, such as injector tick, SC coupler rattle, SC tensioner rattle, HP fuel pump rattle etc etc.
But it does sound a lot like rod knock to me - deep and regular - unlike a rattle or a tick.
Could also be worn SC bearing(s) I suppose.
Easy enough to check if it's SC coupler or SC bearings or SC tensioner - just take the SC drive belt off and if the noise is still there it isn't one of those.

Old 08-26-2023, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Doesn't sound like any of the usual culprits I have heard before on the V6 or V8, such as injector tick, SC coupler rattle, SC tensioner rattle, HP fuel pump rattle etc etc.
But it does sound a lot like rod knock to me - deep and regular - unlike a rattle or a tick.
Could also be worn SC bearing(s) I suppose.
Easy enough to check if it's SC coupler or SC bearings or SC tensioner - just take the SC drive belt off and if the noise is still there it isn't one of those.
I’ll give it a try, however if it was a rod knock would I not hear it while driving? Even driving on low rpm’s? The noise fades away the moment I drive off.

Old 08-26-2023, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Justin4u973
I’ll give it a try, however if it was a rod knock would I not hear it while driving? Even driving on low rpm’s? The noise fades away the moment I drive off.
I also want to mention that this noise does not appear off a cold start.. appears as soon as car gets revved or run

Old 08-26-2023, 08:43 AM
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts

I once had an XF with the same engine which turned out to have a messed up con rod bearing. The noise it made was very similar to this but never went away, just got less obvious while driving. So the sound itself definitely sounds like a rod issue to me, but the other things you mention speak against it. I'd get it checked by a JLR dealer.

Old 08-26-2023, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by MajorTom
I once had an XF with the same engine which turned out to have a messed up con rod bearing. The noise it made was very similar to this but never went away, just got less obvious while driving. So the sound itself definitely sounds like a rod issue to me, but the other things you mention speak against it. I'd get it checked by a JLR dealer.

do you have any videos on it? Or can you speak more in terms about your issue? And how you had it fixed ?I really hope it’s not a rod issue

Old 08-26-2023, 09:18 AM
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin4u973
do you have any videos on it? Or can you speak more in terms about your issue? And how you had it fixed ?I really hope it’s not a rod issue
Sure, I have a couple of videos that I'll try to upload somewhere.

Mine had around 33k miles on it when it appeared, if I recall correctly. It started during a very spirited drive, started with some metal screeching noises from the engine, then just settled to this kind of knock which didn't go away. The car drove just fine and someone less attentive may not even have noticed the knocking. Got it diagnosed by a Jag dealer that concluded that it was a damaged con rod bearing. I got a new engine under warranty.

That AJ126 was a pretty early one, produced some time during 2013 I think. Apparently many of these engines produced up until about mid 2014 had con rod issues because of some manufacturing fault. Seems like there was some bad batch of bearings at some point. Many blew, some F-Types, because of the tight packaging I guess, even went up in flames. Some only developed a knock like mine and got replaced. That said I always thought it's extra risky to buy any Jag or Land Rover with an early AJ126 engine. Anyways, your car seems to be newer so it shouldn't be affected by that particular issue.

Old 08-26-2023, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by MajorTom
Sure, I have a couple of videos that I'll try to upload somewhere.

Mine had around 33k miles on it when it appeared, if I recall correctly. It started during a very spirited drive, started with some metal screeching noises from the engine, then just settled to this kind of knock which didn't go away. The car drove just fine and someone less attentive may not even have noticed the knocking. Got it diagnosed by a Jag dealer that concluded that it was a damaged con rod bearing. I got a new engine under warranty.

That AJ126 was a pretty early one, produced some time during 2013 I think. Apparently many of these engines produced up until about mid 2014 had con rod issues because of some manufacturing fault. Seems like there was some bad batch of bearings at some point. Many blew, some F-Types, because of the tight packaging I guess, even went up in flames. Some only developed a knock like mine and got replaced. That said I always thought it's extra risky to buy any Jag or Land Rover with an early AJ126 engine. Anyways, your car seems to be newer so it shouldn't be affected by that particular issue.
oh okay , thanks for that ! Yeah I might have to just take it to a JLR Dealer because this noise is strange and to me.

Old 08-26-2023, 05:29 PM
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

When you rev in park does the knocking increase in speed with the revs?

Old 08-26-2023, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Oc
When you rev in park does the knocking increase in speed with the revs?

no it does not it fades away, or at least from what I can hear the noise decreases

Old 08-26-2023, 11:19 PM
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

If you spun a bearing the noise would speed up with revs...but it does sound internal to me. Couple things I would suggest would be to go to Blackstone and request a free oil testing kit....draw a bit out and send it to them....it'll give you a good idea if there's excess metal in your oil. If it's a conrod bearing it'll be shedding aluminum, nickel and maybe iron and Blackstone will find it. Another thing you can try is when the engine is up to temp, in park, give it a good quick rev up to about 4500 rpm and quickly let off the gas. You gotta do it quick though, can't slowly run it up and let off....you kinda wanna stab it. A lot of times a bearing will rattle right at the top of the rev as soon as you let off for just a quick second. If you hear that rattle it gives us a good idea what's up. If you could get some audio doing this it would help.

Last edited by Doc Oc; 08-26-2023 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2023, 03:29 AM
Received 857 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Oc
If you spun a bearing the noise would speed up with revs...but it does sound internal to me. Couple things I would suggest would be to go to Blackstone and request a free oil testing kit....draw a bit out and send it to them....it'll give you a good idea if there's excess metal in your oil. If it's a conrod bearing it'll be shedding aluminum, nickel and maybe iron and Blackstone will find it. Another thing you can try is when the engine is up to temp, in park, give it a good quick rev up to about 4500 rpm and quickly let off the gas. You gotta do it quick though, can't slowly run it up and let off....you kinda wanna stab it. A lot of times a bearing will rattle right at the top of the rev as soon as you let off for just a quick second. If you hear that rattle it gives us a good idea what's up. If you could get some audio doing this it would help.
Came here to say - send some oil out for testing, you'll know pretty quickly if you've got metal content!

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 08-28-2023, 08:52 AM
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

You can also take a look at your oil filter. If you've spun a rod bearing, there's a great chance you'll see bearing material in the oil filter.

Old 08-28-2023, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

+2 on the oil analysis. $35 at Blackstone should tell the story. But that does sound like a bad rod bearing. A bad SC coupling sounds more like a clicking sound.