F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In Roll race, for the stcok car, Which RPM should I change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 08:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default In Roll race, for the stcok car, Which RPM should I change?

Hello Guys.
Tommy.

I have a test today with BMW M2 & AMG CLA45, the roll race. they are ,too, stock cars.
MY car is stock P380 convertible.

I just wonder, in roll race.
Which is faster?

1.Just put the D gear, and full accleration.
2.Put S mode, and change gears with paddles, in which case , what you think is the best RPM to move to the next gear? 7,000?
I looked around and see that BHP and Torque rapidly go down after 6,000 rpm.

What do you think?
Has anyone experienced the test with those car above mentioned?
Of course, we will do at the Road strictly controlled.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

I would use dynamic mode rather than sport, or sport and dynamic together. Personally I wouldnt engage the paddles in a race situation especially with the v6S which revs very freely and you only really get a couple of seconds at most between changes, I would let the car do that for you. While I am very happy to use the paddles in sim racing or when driving hard by myself, I have personally found that in a competitive environment there is too much going on so I let the car look after the changes and I deal with the rest. I have seen the numbers go red on the screen once or twice when using the paddles - oopsies!

Old 01-30-2020, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I would use dynamic mode rather than sport, or sport and dynamic together. Personally I wouldnt engage the paddles in a race situation especially with the v6S which revs very freely and you only really get a couple of seconds at most between changes, I would let the car do that for you. While I am very happy to use the paddles in sim racing or when driving hard by myself, I have personally found that in a competitive environment there is too much going on so I let the car look after the changes and I deal with the rest. I have seen the numbers go red on the screen once or twice when using the paddles - oopsies!
Yep, same here.
If you are having a "race" on the street (coff - not that I would ever do that mind you - coff) you will be too busy watching for traffic to keep an eye on the tacho and an ear on the revs to judge and then effect a manual/sport upchange with either the paddle or the stick better than the car can.
I just leave it in D and Dynamic mode with DSC fully on, then ease it to the floor (don't stomp on it but ease it down to the floor over about one second), I have found this to be the best technique for a quick getaway then up through gears one, two, three and four (anything over 4,000 rpm in fourth gear in my neck of the woods is instant lock 'im up and throw away the key territory). Works great with the MPS4S, didn't work great with the half worn P-Zeros which burned rubber at anything over 1/2 throttle and were terrible for a quick take off.
The MPS4S chirp/spin a little off the line, just a second or so, then they grip and go, now they are just over half worn maybe not as well when they were new.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:02 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Use Sport mode. Put the car in D, then move the shifter over to S (Sport), then don't touch the paddles.

Dynamic Mode will firm up the suspension and make the pedal more sensitive. Make sure you have everything turnef on from the home page/extra features/dynamic mode.

With a P380 I would turn DSC full OFF with a 5 second long press. The car is not going to overwhelm the tires, so don't let the car retard the ignition.

Use 8 to 16 oz of Boostane Pro per full tank.

Last edited by RacerX; 01-30-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:13 AM

Hi Bruce!

Thanks for the comment, I know what you mean,
But in the empty street just for the race with straight road.

Do you prefer not using the paddles?

Old 01-31-2020, 01:18 AM

I fully understand what you mean,

I'm just wondering , ignoring all the external conditions. which would be most fastest way

Old 01-31-2020, 01:20 AM

I did before,

In dynamic mode, move the shifter to S, and run
and I found without using paddles, the car held the RPM!!.
didn't move to next gear.

Old 01-31-2020, 01:58 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The S has a launch mode, You have to set in Dynamic mode to use it, just hold the brake and give a bit gas in the same time. Starting from 3.000 should be fine
I have The AWD S, and with the launch mode I get about half a second better time on the 0-100 km. Launch mode not only help you to get a good start but also set the gearbox to improve the power in the gearing from 1 to 2 to 3.
I dont know the vantage in the S RWD but in the AWD is huge.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:03 AM

Thanks spegor.

But I won't do drag race, from 60km, roll race will be placed today.

BTW, thx for the good info.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by TAEUCK Goo
Thanks spegor.

But I won't do drag race, from 60km, roll race will be placed today.

BTW, thx for the good info.
In the roll start I would use the only the Dynamic mode, set the appropriate gear by paddle shifter so you get manual mode and leave the gear change itself.

If you set S mode and dynamic mode together, you could get the red line rpm to help a bit , but you have to manually change gear before the rpm limiter. I don't think you will get better time this way, after the 6.500 rpm the power decrease fast.

Last edited by spegor; 01-31-2020 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:14 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by TAEUCK Goo
I did before,

In dynamic mode, move the shifter to S, and run
and I found without using paddles, the car held the RPM!!.
didn't move to next gear.
As I understand it, the only way the car won't upshift is if it's in manual mode. If the center display shows S or D (not a gear number) it should upshift automatically. It will always downshift when necessary, regardless of mode.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by scm
As I understand it, the only way the car won't upshift is if it's in manual mode. If the center display shows S or D (not a gear number) it should upshift automatically. It will always downshift when necessary, regardless of mode.
If you set dynamic mode without S gear mode, you can set manually the gear but when you start accelerating the gear change itself at 6.500. I you set S gear mode and do the same in manual you will get stuck with the engine at rev limiter near 6.800, so you need to mannually shift gear

Old 01-31-2020, 05:56 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by spegor
If you set dynamic mode without S gear mode, you can set manually the gear but when you start accelerating the gear change itself at 6.500. I you set S gear mode and do the same in manual you will get stuck with the engine at rev limiter near 6.800, so you need to mannually shift gear
I suspect you've experienced the fact that in D automatic mode resets within a few seconds of not touching the paddles. Try touching a paddle in D while you're moving and watch it not upshift.

In S it will never automatically revert to auto.

So you're possibly right, but for the wrong reasons.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:39 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I suspect you've experienced the fact that in D automatic mode resets within a few seconds of not touching the paddles. Try touching a paddle in D while you're moving and watch it not upshift (or switch back to auto).

​​​​​​Doesn't D have no paddles unless you turn them on in the settings menus?

Old 01-31-2020, 08:04 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RacerX
​​​​​​Doesn't D have no paddles unless you turn them on in the settings menus?
Yes, you can select paddles in S only, or S and D - I have no idea how they're set when shipped from the factory - my used MY18 had them set for both when I took delivery.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I suspect you've experienced the fact that in D automatic mode resets within a few seconds of not touching the paddles. Try touching a paddle in D while you're moving and watch it not upshift (or switch back to auto).

And if you are in S- mode, and has used the paddles (so that it is in "manual S-mode"), you can get it back to "auto in S-mode" by holding the right paddle in for a few seconds. The display will switch from showing which gear you are in, to "S" - which indicate "S-mode auto".

In a roll race I would use "S-mode auto" in combination with dynamic mode if the start speed is low (from 1. or 2. gear). If start speed is higher (3. gear or higher), I would use "S-mode manual" in combination with dynamic mode, and manually upshift with the paddles.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:51 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Arne
And if you are in S- mode, and have used the paddles (so that it is in "manual S-mode"), you can get it back to "auto in S-mode" by holding the right paddle in for a few seconds.
The right paddle pull works in D, too , if you're too impatient to wait until the car does it.

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
Arne (01-31-2020), RacerX (02-01-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

I tried out several variations at the track. Here's what I found:

S, left in Auto, is pretty damn amazing. I have years of experience racing motorcycles and feel I'm solid at shifting just in front of the rev limiter. Having said that, I'll admit that the car in S mode, left to manual, was probably better than me at upshifting. I played around with using the paddle shifters and found that they would shift right about when I wanted to and never hit the rev limited (I did in manual). The only place I found it a little lacking was sometimes downshifting into the corners. LEft to it's own devices, it did very well, but there were times I wanted to drop a gear and it didn't. Regardless, it still did very well there.

Like many others have already said, my opinion is the best would be to put the car in Dynamic, move the shifter to 'S' and then leave it alone. When you mash the peddle all the way to the floor, it knows exactly what you want.

The following 2 users liked this post by eeeeek:
Jdwoody17 (03-27-2022), Toddiesel (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 09:16 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I tried out several variations at the track. Here's what I found:

S, left in Auto, is pretty damn amazing. I have years of experience racing motorcycles and feel I'm solid at shifting just in front of the rev limiter. Having said that, I'll admit that the car in S mode, left to manual, was probably better than me at upshifting. I played around with using the paddle shifters and found that they would shift right about when I wanted to and never hit the rev limited (I did in manual). The only place I found it a little lacking was sometimes downshifting into the corners. LEft to it's own devices, it did very well, but there were times I wanted to drop a gear and it didn't. Regardless, it still did very well there.

Like many others have already said, my opinion is the best would be to put the car in Dynamic, move the shifter to 'S' and then leave it alone. When you mash the peddle all the way to the floor, it knows exactly what you want.
hundo p agree with this. Haven't had my F Type very long, but I've already discovered the trans is better at shifting than I am, especially in S mode. There's just too much delay. It's not like an actual manual transmission. Just let it do the shifting on its own.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:30 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
hundo p agree with this. Haven't had my F Type very long, but I've already discovered the trans is better at shifting than I am, especially in S mode. There's just too much delay. It's not like an actual manual transmission. Just let it do the shifting on its own.
The only slight downside I've found is that it takes a little while to make up its mind to downshift when you floor the throttle after a period of constant speed cruising.

Quick Reply: In Roll race, for the stcok car, Which RPM should I change?