Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof drainage holes on MY2014 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roof drainage holes on MY2014 convertible

Hello,
it’s been a while that I read this forum (from France), it’s probably the best complete place to find tips between enthusiasts.
My Ftype (V6S), Italian racing red with black pack, is wonderful and give me smile everyday .
BUT, since a few weeks, I noticed a water sound behind me (I have a RHD car). Seems to happen when I turn more « aggressively »and sounds like a « blup blup ».
i am used with convertibles car, and with drainage system near the doors. But as I was simple to localize them on my boxster or Mx5, I am unable to find the draining hole below the car and under the roof.
may you help me with this issue?
please forgive my potential English mistakes, :/
thanks a lot to everyone that could help me before my car become a submarine (here in north of France, rainy times are quite everyday...

Old 01-14-2020, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Hades_357
Hello,
it’s been a while that I read this forum (from France), it’s probably the best complete place to find tips between enthusiasts.
My Ftype (V6S), Italian racing red with black pack, is wonderful and give me smile everyday .
BUT, since a few weeks, I noticed a water sound behind me (I have a RHD car). Seems to happen when I turn more « aggressively »and sounds like a « blup blup ».
i am used with convertibles car, and with drainage system near the doors. But as I was simple to localize them on my boxster or Mx5, I am unable to find the draining hole below the car and under the roof.
may you help me with this issue?
please forgive my potential English mistakes, :/
thanks a lot to everyone that could help me before my car become a submarine (here in north of France, rainy times are quite everyday...
Can you find any water in the storage area for the top?

Old 01-14-2020, 04:58 PM

Well the difficulty is that my roof was stuck down a few weeks ago, I did use the emergency process to close it manually, but did not run it down for now, as I have booked a dealer visit on the 27 January.
So I am unable to access the place for now. I imagine to clean the draining system from the below, if possible.
i would prefer do that before the 27, as I use it daily and will drive under rainy sky ...
the dealer will finish the clean up I guess, after the roof reactivation.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:33 PM

No one has ever cleaned the drainage channels on his car?
if I get the info elsewhere I will post it here, but nothing for now...:/
i read today the 12000 pages of the repair manual but nothing on this, except that we have to check the holes regularly in order to avoid obstruction (but nothing about where the system is....)
when I have a look under the car or take some random pics with the phone (to see further), i am unable to localize something which could look like an evacuation...
weird...

Old 01-15-2020, 03:28 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I’ve only cleaned obvious areas around the trunk. No issues.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:25 AM

giving quick new infos. The car is actually at the dealer and the mechanic is fixing (or trying to...) the problem.
For now, my problem or roof closing appears to be the 2 motors that broke down. the mechanic notice that fuse was broken and changeed it but it breaks each time, because the motors are underwater...
the draining channel system seems not to be efficient, and rain does ruined the electrical system.
Just for intervention of replacement of the motors, the roof has to be removed and i will take 10hrs or labor minimum...
did someone ever heard similar problem?
nothing mentionned in the owner's book about cleaning those channels, and this conception problem is really scary...

Old 01-27-2020, 12:49 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

We’ve heard of a couple of failed roofs (not pretty, you might find the threads by searching), but I don’t recall any being water related.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2017 Jag Ftype. Its been serviced regularly in CT. Moved it to MT in July 2019. Had no problems with servicing until now. The top failed in May, figured it had a water problem. Wouldn’t close in the up position. Just as I headed to Spokane for servicing the top closed. We got it to Spokane, they did the annual servicing but found NO ISSUES WITH THE TOP. (Stay with me on this one...) Then early June it did the same thing, wouldn’t close again, was able to get it up manually & have it towed to Spokane. Still thinking this is a water damage issue of one of the motors (middle one most likely). Two weeks later, get a call that Jaguar will NOT HONOR THE WARRANTY AS THEY CONSIDER IT EXTERNAL FORCES because debris & leaves are blocking the drain tubes. Now, this car has been under cover except for trips to the grocery store, other trips, etc. Its been wintered over in a garage with a cover over it. So, if in 4 years I’ve had no problems, no fails, etc. & now I have debris?? Now, I ask Jaguar “why isn’t cleaning of the drain tubes part of regular servicing IF THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE!!!” Because it isn’t. There is no regional tech person to call to get a second opinion. I have asked for pictures of the blocked drain tubes - have not yet received. Was told I can try & claim under insurance. So, since they have a 12 month guarantee on parts I have no idea if this happens again in 9 months if it won’t be considered EXTERNAL FORCES AGAIN. I’ve also asked for detail on HOW TO CLEAN OUT THE DRAINS. Have not yet received. Their 6 year warranty is a joke! Here’s the thing... when the drains get clogged water backs up & causes water damage to the roof system. And they know this - and I am out a good chunk of money as well as no guarantee that it won’t happen again AND EXTERNAL FORCES WILL BE DETERMINED TO BE THE CAUSE AND JAGUAR WILL NOT COVER IT. I am considering a class action lawsuit.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

You have considered the possibilty that this is a battery issue and not a mechanical or water issue? Failure to latch is one of the very many symptoms of lower-than-optimal battery voltage...the fact that it did close and that the dealer found no issue is suggestive of an intermittent problem...and you would be amazed at the number of dealers who have no idea of the battery issue...

Old 07-04-2020, 08:06 PM

Had my battery checked & changed. Agree that the these cars use a lot more battery for other things & the top is not the priority. If it was that simple then the dealer should’ve checked that as well.. again.. but ruled it out. Definitely a water compromised issue with no remedy except to pay out the cost myself.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

I'm still waiting to see instructions regards how to find/clear/verify the drainage pathways.

I DID look for the drain tubes under the rear suspension the last time I was under the car, but I didn't see anything. (Not that I'm good at finding stuff, just ask my wife, LOL)

Meanwhile I'm continuing to apply a water repellent to the cloth top as recommended. That way the water rolls off.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:59 AM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Saw this article in jaguar magazine regarding soft top issues

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 09:36 AM

That is exactly what I had. And when I turned like in runabouts I heard some water moving just behind my head.
my car is still not repaired (covid) but I have to change the 2 motors which have been underflooded.
i was speaking with my dealer (not an official jag dealer) to try to upgrade the system (to be secure for the future) but don’t know how to proceed.
making new holes in aluminium may cause corrosion.
the evacuation holes seems to be under the car but also under the « bas de caisse » (underbody?part below the car doors...).
i also have debris and leaf in the evacuation but my car has been well cared.
really dissapointing for a car of that price.

Old 07-05-2020, 12:10 PM
EdG
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If anyone figures out how to clean out these holes, please let us know. My V6S convertible typically only sees water during washing but preventative maintenance is usually a good thing. Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Hades_357
he evacuation holes seems to be under the car but also under the « bas de caisse » (underbody?part below the car doors...).
In the rocker panels? Really? I'll look there next.

Old 07-05-2020, 12:46 PM

Side skirts? My mechanic told me we have to get off some pièces to access the evacuation hole. It’s just a non sense. Evacuation should be accessible and visible...
he will clean these drains after the motors change, so I might have more informations in the next few weeks. But I’m not confident to keep the car « stock » on that point. I want an upgrade to definitely fix the problem. North of France, here the rain is very often...

Old 07-05-2020, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

I looked around the bottom of the car again. I see two small drain holes just forward of the rear wheels in the side skirt. In order to see more, I would need to remove a wheel and the inner fender liner ("inner wheelhouse").

I'm wondering if this hidden piece is the drain?#5
https://dz310nzuyimx0.cloudfront.net...b6c5932134.png

(T2R2058)

the roof motors are here, but no signs of a drain system.
https://parts.ftmyersjaguar.com/v-20...and-components

It was easy to find drain tubes for what seems to be the front windshield. <SIGH>

EDIT: Circled are the little drain holes just ahead of the rear wheels. (The picture was from last year, before I refinished the chassis braces)

Last edited by Carbuff2; 07-05-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:01 PM

Good search, it may confirm what my mechanic has been told by the official dealer.
The system is completely dumb, inaccessible and uncleanable except if you get all the roof out.
very good job from the engeneers...
im waiting for news from my garage, hope to get some pics to understand how it works, how large are the drains, and if I have to add some new holes everywhere to fill out the car ...
i hope the side skirts are not pasted, if we have to remove them to access the back Evacuation drain hole...
édit: what have you done with chassis brace?

Last edited by Hades_357; 07-05-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

what have you done with chassis brace?
PM sent But here is the final result.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:50 AM

Did you ever find out any more details on whether the drain holes are accessible and able to be cleaned? Or any pictures from your garage?
I've just discovered that one of the drains on mine must be blocked, and I've found very little information on the issue.
Cheers, Matt

Quick Reply: Roof drainage holes on MY2014 convertible