Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough during Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough during Acceleration

Hi All,

new to the site, have a short question. I have an F-Type S...8K km on the clock and I love the car. Brought it new last Aug 2013.

Went in for it's first service 2 weeks ago (and yes yes, it's 3 months earlier than it should be). However since then I started to notice that changing gear (in manual mode) when accelerating quite hard onto the motorway was not as smooth as I remember. The car and tranny are at optimum operating temperature.

Perhaps it's me being just over sensitive, but I swear the gear selection under hard acceleration in manual model should be more punchy / quicker. I feel a very short delay between gear selection when accelerating hard...and it covers all gears. The result means to edge forward between gear selections. I every tried to convince myself this was normal, so switched over to dynamic mode...it's the same. I also have a Nissan GTR, and I was always trilled by the gear change response rate of the Jag compared to a GTR...always quicker. Under normal driving conditions, the gear selection is smooth, quick and responsive (ie no load). I have a feeling that under heavy load it's not doing what it should do. The wife recons I should always drive slower to avoid being paranoid...my response to that was: why buy an F-type in the first place. It's a drivers car.

I know the car shares some trannies with other models...is this a common issue, software or clutch software adjustment...is there anything a-miss...suggestions guys???? I know in the GTR, you have to get the clutch bite pressure adjusted every year or 2...is this the same for the Jag?

Ideas would be appreciated.

S

Old 06-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds odd - I don't experience that under hard driving conditions - when manually using the paddles, the trans flies thru the gears super fast. Must need an adjustment of some sort.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

With the exception of the audible "fart" sound from the exhaust mine shifts in a split second under acceleration. I'm assuming it kills the ignition momentarily during upshifts and this causes the sound. Nothing I would describe as "rough" other than that sound.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

I think the blast on upshift during hard acceleration is programmed in.

To the OP, the ZF autos are typically adaptive and modify their shift patterns based on driver input and driving style over time. BMW uses the same transmission, and there are posts on other forums that talk about similar issues and a user procedure to reset the adaptive learning back to the factory settings. For those cars, it's something like turning on the ignition (but not starting the car) and pressing the throttle down so the kickdown position is reached and holding it for 30 seconds or so. I don't know if something similar works for our cars, but for certain other makes it has helped to resolve issues like those you describe. the problem you're going to have is if no fault codes are thrown, as the dealer will likely give you the usual "could not reproduce" response and won't really investigate unless the system tells them something is wrong....

Old 06-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you asked if your car had any software updates on it's early service !

Old 06-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I noticed exactly the same with my XKR when I held off the shift until the 6500 redline when using the paddle shifter. The tranny hesitated before going into the next gear. I think that it was about to apply the rev-limiter just as I shifted...

Once I begun shifting a couple of hundred RPMs below redline, the response was fast, as it should be.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool. guys. Appreciate the response.

I am unaware of any SW updates from the dealership...I will ask them, good call.

I think it would be good that I get it back to the dealership. I agree the Swajames and Tiger4366, there is some type of adjustment to be made...good input about car adjusting to driving styles. It could be a SW adjustment. Great input guys, thank you.

The good thing is I now have some input from you guys to give back to the dealership, as I am sure all they will do is hook it up and find no error codes.

Thanks guys and I will let you know how it goes.

Stu

Old 06-03-2014, 04:31 AM

I think you will find a software download for a gearbox update has taken place , along with some other standard updates. The gearbox update will also give a harder shift when hitting the loud peddle with some lead.

The XKR does not have the same gearbox or engine map as the Ftype 5.0

Old 05-01-2015, 02:11 PM
Default After 1st service...

Hello to all,

Joined this Forum very recently while searching for any F Type gearbox feedback and found your thread about harsh upshifting.

Well here's my story...

My F Type is a 2014 V6 S Roadster and i have a blast driving it once or twice per month... so it's only logged around 2000km.

Had a call from the dealer to perform the 1st service and everything went just fine... came back home with the car operating just normally.

On my first drive out after this service, and with the car well warmed up through a 15 minutes soft ride, gave it a hard acceleration whilst upshifting manually and felt the gearbox to be quite harsh from 3rd to 4th... the kind of feeling you have with an automated manual gearbox in sport mode but not a ZF... this kind of harsh knock with the gear change.

Happened only once and thereafter things went back to normal. So, thought it might have been my fault.

But a couple of days later, while taking the car out for a drive, and while shifting from Park to Reverse, the shift took some time and when it engaged, it was quite harsh too. Same happens when shifting from Reverse to Drive... you feel as if the order is given, then it takes a bit of time and the car gets positively pushed forward.

Well, the F Type's ZF gearbox has always been a pleasure to use with blistering quick gear changes but not harsh ones... feels like something is wrong somewhere.

Called the dealer and will have to take the car in this coming week. But was hoping to have your feedback first if anyone experienced this kind of issue too.

Thanking you all in advance for your help and time.

Safe drives.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:27 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I realize there is no dipstick but what you are describing sounds like low fluid. Have you noticed any leaks?

what it actually probably will turn out to be is a low voltage aituation. I had a ZF trans do all the things you describe in a Mercedes when the voltage regulator failed. Ended up getting stuck in 2nd gear on the final drive before it was towed to the shop for an alternator and regulator. On a jag you should get lots of error messages if you have a low voltage problem.

Let us know what they find out at the shop

Old 05-02-2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nookieman
I realize there is no dipstick but what you are describing sounds like low fluid. Have you noticed any leaks?

what it actually probably will turn out to be is a low voltage aituation. I had a ZF trans do all the things you describe in a Mercedes when the voltage regulator failed. Ended up getting stuck in 2nd gear on the final drive before it was towed to the shop for an alternator and regulator. On a jag you should get lots of error messages if you have a low voltage problem.

Let us know what they find out at the shop
Thank you for the quick reply.

Well, am pretty sure about the leaks. Nothing from that point.

But the battery may well be suspected even though the car starts normally without any hesitation; however, it's true that I only did around 2000 km with it in one year so... there might be a slight depletion.
But still haven't got any of the warning messages mentioned above.

And remains the fact that all that happened right after the 1st service took place... Will check if any kind of software update was carried out.

Have to admit that it's a pleasure knowing the F Type is in my garage and it is definitely a very fun automobile to drive, drawing a lot of smiles on the driver's face. But the gearbox issue together with an intermittent knock in the rear side of the car (still don't know exactly where this knock's coming from. Sometimes from a slight acceleration and other times when going over uneven terrain) have got me concerned a bit...

Will just have to wait and see the dealer's actions.

Shall keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:12 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Early cars could make a clunking sound at low speeds, usually turning or going over a bump. There was a suspension fix that helped. Try searching - it was discussed here, but a long time ago.

The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (05-05-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Early cars could make a clunking sound at low speeds, usually turning or going over a bump. There was a suspension fix that helped. Try searching - it was discussed here, but a long time ago.
Thanks a lot! You're 100% right.

When I asked the dealer about it earlier, he highly doubted it being that kind of issue stating that my auto's VIN number does not correspond to those of cars possibly concerned.
But again, he just highly doubted and not fully confirmed... so will have to keep that option in mind.

Will keep you posted.

Regards.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:45 PM

Gents...

Thanks a lot for your help.

Got my car from the dealer with a gearbox that feels as perfect as the first day.

Indeed, a service bulletin is available for the issue i had, together with rough gearbox and wrong gearbox timing... the bulletin requires a software update.

Update was completed successfully with perfect results.

Ride back was epic.

Regards!