F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber by Treadplate Pulling Away

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:00 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Rubber by Treadplate Pulling Away

probabbly from stepping out of the car, I’ve somehow dislodged the rubber strip by the tread plate. (See photo) Seems like there should be an easy way to snap it back in...I just don’t know what it is🧐 Any tips to tricks?
Thanks
CRS

Old 07-09-2018, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Mine is doing the same. There are small plastic pins that insert into holes in the metal of the body at regularly spaced intervals. Some of mine are broken or the hole the rubber sits in is cracked at the edges. Some of the pins were pushed into the rubber. In short, either need new pins or new weatherstrip that hopefully includes pins. If your pins and rubber are not damaged you may be able to reset the pin in the rubber and snap back into the holes. Unfortunately this will likely reoccur even with a replacement piece. I posted on this about a month ago but didn't get a response other than Unhinged asking for a photo of the pins. I was thinking of maybe using an adhesive but wasn't thrilled with the idea of smearing up the body. Maybe a dab in the pin holes of an automotive adhesive or a thin 3M peel and stick. Any suggestions welcome as I was contemplating this just yesterday. Leaning towards a 3M tape, but haven't researched.

The following users liked this post:
CRS 123 (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Mine is doing the same. There are small plastic pins that insert into holes in the metal of the body at regularly spaced intervals. Some of mine are broken or the hole the rubber sits in is cracked at the edges. Some of the pins were pushed into the rubber. In short, either need new pins or new weatherstrip that hopefully includes pins. If your pins and rubber are not damaged you may be able to reset the pin in the rubber and snap back into the holes. Unfortunately this will likely reoccur even with a replacement piece. I posted on this about a month ago but didn't get a response other than Unhinged asking for a photo of the pins. I was thinking of maybe using an adhesive but wasn't thrilled with the idea of smearing up the body. Maybe a dab in the pin holes of an automotive adhesive or a thin 3M peel and stick. Any suggestions welcome as I was contemplating this just yesterday. Leaning towards a 3M tape, but haven't researched.

Mines the same; 2-3 pins are broken and the weatherstripping is torn at the plastic pin location. The only decent solution I see is a new weatherstrip and new plastic pins.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
CRS 123 (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 07:57 PM

Hhmmm.....I did see what looked like some sort of pins but didn’t see any way to make them work...maybe broken. A few small strips of 3m might do the trick to hold it back in place. I most likely over time kept kicking the strip on my way out of the car.
CRS

Old 07-10-2018, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Longevity is why replacing the rubber and pins doesn't seem to a good future proof solution. I'm thinking 3m tape too.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

IME the double sided tape doesn't work well with rubber. 3m makes a trim adhesive but frankly I think that's a little "duct tape and bailing wire" solution for a $125,000 car. I bought mine CPO so I don't know if I did it or the PO did, but I'm going to replace the offending parts and then it will be like new again.....then I'll be more careful! :-)

Cheers,
Dave

Old 07-10-2018, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by DPelletier
IME the double sided tape doesn't work well with rubber. 3m makes a trim adhesive but frankly I think that's a little "duct tape and bailing wire" solution for a $125,000 car. I bought mine CPO so I don't know if I did it or the PO did, but I'm going to replace the offending parts and then it will be like new again.....then I'll be more careful! :-)

Cheers,
Dave
Hmmm....Bailing Wire, you might have something there :-)
CRS