F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubbing Problems (2015 R Coupe, HR Springs, 17mm spacers)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022 | 11:08 AM
|
Default Rubbing Problems (2015 R Coupe, HR Springs, 17mm spacers)

Looking for some input on resolving this. As titled, I have some rubbing problems with my 2015 R Coupe, only apparent when going over sharp dips in the road, but bad enough that it's caused some fender damage. I'm on gyrodynes (i think that's the name of these wheels?) H&R springs, and what I believe are 17mm spacers. I was not the original person who installed this setup, and the one who did install them did not recall the exact size of the spacer. I did a very unscientific measurement with some painters tape in order to measure the spacer and it seems to be closer to 17 so that's the number I'm going with. As it stands, my options are to either go back to OEM springs (not preferred since I like this look and ride feel), shave the fender (50/50 on this since it's permanent modification and having cut fenders means slicing the tire if it doesn't actually fix the issue), or changing to VAP springs. My question on the VAP springs is whether or not the additional clearance is enough to ensure I'm not bonking the fender anymore. From all the other threads I read, the difference between VAP (.75"-1.0") and H&R (1.25"-1.5") is only half an inch. Is that enough to squeeze me out of this?

Edit: Realized now that I should have referenced that last picture to the floor... I'll retake it after work.

Last edited by Whalesmash; 01-11-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-11-2022 | 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think either of your spring change options will work. The wheel will still move through the same arc regardless of springs, you'll only make it more or less common to go to full compression.

I'd recommend Option 4 out of the three you list. That'd be changing spacers. I got some spacers in a group buy but sold them without ever installing. At the time, there was discussion of 15mm vs. 17mm, and that the 17s might cause clearance issues but that 15s were safe.

EDIT: Here's the group buy discussion I was thinking of. There are several others you'll find if you search for "wheel adapter group buy".

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...pacers-194739/

Last edited by lizzardo; 01-11-2022 at 11:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Whalesmash (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022 | 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Two things going on here with your car. H&R dropping more than the VAP...AND then you pushed the wheels/tires out 17 MM as opposed to 15 MM.

Not sure of exact measurements and geometry...BUT I know that 15mm with the VAP drop (.75-1") WILL NOT rub. And I drive on likely some of the Sh***tiest roads in the US.

My Ford Raptor even bounces around on these roads, and the F-Type has never rubbed. Just FYI.

Good luck.
DC

With VAP Springs and 15MM Spacers on all 4 Wheels

Last edited by Therock88; 01-12-2022 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-12-2022 | 02:09 AM

The 17mm is a thing because the wheel studs paired with some of the OEM wheels won't clear with 15mm spacers. You can, however, shave down the wheel studs as there is at least a quarter inch of non-threaded length on the end of the studs, and go with 15mm spacers.

Last edited by takeapieandrun; 01-12-2022 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-12-2022 | 06:29 AM

Hi,

I have the KW Thread springs, and it is possible with 14,5 inch or 370mm from Center of the wheel to the top edge of the fender (you have 13,5 inch)

!
That will work fine..

Old 01-12-2022 | 11:30 AM
|

Appreciate all the input so far everyone. If I do go back to stock springs, do you think the extra 1-1.5 inch of clearance will give me enough room to not worry about rubbing? My concern is that the extra throw should give me more buffer zone, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm less likely to rub as the spring rates might be different? At this point I'm willing to forgo the drop and keep the spacers but I feel like keeping it dropped without spacers would look really odd.

Old 01-12-2022 | 01:00 PM

it would be much easier to simply swap out the spacers, both labor wise and money wise.

eeeeek (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022 | 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Whalesmash
Appreciate all the input so far everyone. If I do go back to stock springs, do you think the extra 1-1.5 inch of clearance will give me enough room to not worry about rubbing? My concern is that the extra throw should give me more buffer zone, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm less likely to rub as the spring rates might be different? At this point I'm willing to forgo the drop and keep the spacers but I feel like keeping it dropped without spacers would look really odd.
Actually...It looks pretty odd with spacers and no drop too. Just FYI. Looks like a 4-wheeler. As I was upgrading, I added spacers before the springs came in, and did not like the look. It's not horrible...but does not look right (to me)

I do think at regular height the 17 MM would likely clear with no issues.

Good luck.
DC

Old 01-12-2022 | 02:15 PM
|

Originally Posted by Craaaazzy
it would be much easier to simply swap out the spacers, both labor wise and money wise.
Alright, looks like there's been a few suggestions here saying that the switch to 15mm would be the way to go. I'll go ahead and put my order in. I was originally quite skeptical that 2mm is enough to give me the clearance I need but with this many individuals saying it will work, I'll take the leap. It's only a few hundred bucks and a bit of my time. Thank you all again for the replies, I'll keep you updated when things arrive and I have a go at it.

Old 01-13-2022 | 01:45 PM

I used to run with h&r springs and 15mm spacers with no issues

Old 01-13-2022 | 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Therock88
I do think at regular height the 17 MM would likely clear with no issues.
I don't think static ride height is the thing to look at unless the spring is limiting travel. Higher ride height just means that it'll take a bigger bump to compress the suspension to the rubbing point.

Old 01-13-2022 | 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I don't think static ride height is the thing to look at unless the spring is limiting travel. Higher ride height just means that it'll take a bigger bump to compress the suspension to the rubbing point.
Would agree if the tires went straight up and down vertically...But they typically sway in at the top when compressed (Negative camber on compression), so the tops would tilt in as it compresses and that is why I think it will be fine. In fact, if that did not occur, my tires would rub with 15 MM...I count on them tilting in at the top a little on bumps. Sounds like he is going with 15MM anyway, so a moot point...But that is why I felt/feel they may not rub. Kind of like this...(Not exact)

15MM to 17 MM = a whole 2 MM like this __

DC

Old 01-13-2022 | 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Therock88
Would agree if the tires went straight up and down vertically...But they typically sway in at the top when compressed (Negative camber on compression), so the tops would tilt in as it compresses and that is why I think it will be fine. In fact, if that did not occur, my tires would rub with 15 MM...I count on them tilting in at the top a little on bumps. Sounds like he is going with 15MM anyway, so a moot point...But that is why I felt/feel they may not rub. Kind of like this...(Not exact)

15MM to 17 MM = a whole 2 MM like this __

DC
The suspension moves through the same arc regardless of spring, it's just in a different place in that arc statically at different ride heights. Picture this in your mind (I don't recommend it in practice): If you catch air the suspension will go to full droop with any spring, and likely full compression on landing, again regardless of spring. If there is a clearance problem at some point in the travel, the spring won't change that.

Old 01-14-2022 | 09:35 AM

Alright, looks like there's been a few suggestions here saying that the switch to 15mm would be the way to go. I'll go ahead and put my order in. I was originally quite skeptical that 2mm is enough to give me the clearance I need but with this many individuals saying it will work, I'll take the leap. It's only a few hundred bucks and a bit of my time. Thank you all again for the replies, I'll keep you updated when things arrive and I have a go at it.
Every car sits a little different lowered even if they have the same coils - I think a 10mm spacer would look okay with stock height but not much more per DC's comment. In your case, if youre keeping the drop, I would try 10 or 12 depending on how bad the rubbing is. even 10mm with a drop will look way better than stock. I went with VAP coils and 15mm spacers and I love the look.

Therock88 (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022 | 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

I’ve Eibach springs fitted and 15mm spacers all round, had to cut studs, upgraded to 305 rears and 265 fronts, no rubbing or issues

Old 01-14-2022 | 07:50 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I like your hood ornament, though it's a bit large.

The following 2 users liked this post by DJS:
powerhouse (01-15-2022), TheDrainPlug (02-18-2022)
Old 01-14-2022 | 11:11 PM
Obi

Out of curiosity, what size are your tires?

Old 01-15-2022 | 09:06 AM
|

Originally Posted by powerhouse
I’ve Eibach springs fitted and 15mm spacers all round, had to cut studs, upgraded to 305 rears and 265 fronts, no rubbing or issues
I rather like the subtle amount of drop the Eibachs give, but all the sites I visited said they only work for V6 models. Which model do you have?

Edit: Looks like these might be the ones for my model? Hmmm, another possibility... Link

Another Edit: Read another thread about Eibachs not fitting well. Probably don't want to deal with it, haha. On another note, VAP does not list their F-type springs anymore on their site. Are they discontinued or something?

Originally Posted by Obi
Out of curiosity, what size are your tires?
Michelin PS4S 295/30/20

Last edited by Whalesmash; 01-15-2022 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-17-2022 | 08:05 PM
|

To document my little journey here...

Confirmed 17mm spacer

Confirmed non-essential thread has not been removed

And as a side comment, wow it's filthy... I think it's a ripe opportunity for a wheels-off cleaning!

Old 02-17-2022 | 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

To document my little journey here...

Confirmed 17mm spacer

Confirmed non-essential thread has not been removed

And as a side comment, wow it's filthy... I think it's a ripe opportunity for a wheels-off cleaning!
Yep, you should get rid of the rust on the rotors, if left to build up it can cause problems with vibrations and wheels feeling like they are out of balance.
I use WD40 and steel wool but there are many ways to clean them up such as a wire brush or a whizzy wheel on a drill.

Quick Reply: Rubbing Problems (2015 R Coupe, HR Springs, 17mm spacers)