F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RWD Owners - how do you go fast but keep straight line wheel spin down?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:26 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RWD Owners - how do you go fast but keep straight line wheel spin down?

No, the answer is not "get it sideways".

I feel like in all but DSC OFF and sport mode, the car is being held back by the computer. Between off and snow mode there are several combinations. I've been playing a lot in the different modes, but so far, the fastest seems to be DSC off and human throttle modulation.

I feel like there has to be a happy medium in there where the computer is helping you hook up without slowing you down. I'm also not a huge fan of running is dsc off on the street. It seems like you're just an ince away from "oops".

Anyone drag theirs? What's the secret?

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2017, 11:41 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyAir
What's the secret?

Get a V6.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

You say that, but on Pirellis the V6 will break traction in 3rd when accelerating with a degree of "enthusiasm"...

Old 01-24-2017, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Get a V6.
Additionally, mount PSSs and don't tune it. Otherwise, learn to modulate the throttle with the DSC turned fully off. You have to live on the edge to go fast.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Additionally, mount PSSs and don't tune it. Otherwise, learn to modulate the throttle with the DSC turned fully off. You have to live on the edge to go fast.
Yep.

I run with the DSC completely off and simply modulate the throttle (and sometimes the steering wheel!) accordingly. ....this is the first car I've had with over 400hp and any type of traction control; all my other fast cars didn't have all the electronic doodads so I'm used to it I suppose.

Dave

Old 01-24-2017, 02:13 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
You say that, but on Pirellis the V6 will break traction in 3rd when accelerating with a degree of "enthusiasm"...

To be fair, I almost never turn off DSC, and I think it's non-intrusive enough that I seldom notice it. Plus, there aren't that many places around here where I can drive like a hooligan.

Guess I should turn off DSC and try launch mode. I used TrakDSC and didn't spin the tires the couple of times I've been on a track. (P-Zeros first time, PSS last time.)

Old 01-24-2017, 03:04 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I roll on the throttle as opposed to jumping on it. Jumping on it generates wheel spin followed by the nanny saving you from going completely sideways. That said, jumping on it is lots of fun.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the great replies! A v6 is NOT the answer.

I think part of my issue with modulation is the soft pedal. I feel like fine throttle changes take more length/input than they should. It may just be getting used to the way the ftype trac mode. I don't like the way jag relies on de-tuning the throttle for the modes.. Which almost forces you to dsc off.

I.e. There are times I feel trac mode is less trac and more street when it comes to throttle response. It's mushy.. Rolling on is the answer, but it takes too much pedal IMHO. And backing off is the same..

I haven't spent a ton of time with the dsc full off. Just enough to know I like the control better and that it's faster.. I may decide that is mushy too. I'd like full/quick throttle response, but with the attitude nanny only.. lol...

Dropping in the VAP tune next week. Stuart thinks that will help a little. A friend thinks a pedal commander will help too. I have one on my rubicon and like the ability to modify throttle response with a button push.. VAP tune first tho..

Last edited by DirtyAir; 01-24-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:48 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

You're running in dynamic, of course. I'm sure you've tried dynamic+sport?

Old 01-24-2017, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

haven't made it to an F Type yet, still waiting for the car seat days to pass, but I would look into getting some better rubber on the road.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
You're running in dynamic, of course. I'm sure you've tried dynamic+sport?
Yessir!

I run dynamic engine/shift and mostly run in sport.

Just so I am not misconstrued.. I love the jag and the power it puts down. I wouldn't have anything but the v8 and want more power.

Just looking for the small things that would make any car more fun & drive as well as possible. No one is kicking her out of bed for eating crackers!

Old 01-24-2017, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
haven't made it to an F Type yet, still waiting for the car seat days to pass, but I would look into getting some better rubber on the road.
Ya, the stock tires could be better.. Running when it's in the 40s outside is good for spiny tires too.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:42 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I use Michelin PSS tires with a right foot that does not treat the accelerator as an on-off switch.
The PSS's make a heck of a HUGE difference. The P-Zero's were all over the place.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:05 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Another +1 for switching out the OEM P Zeros. Absolutely awful tire.

Cherry_560sel (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 10:24 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by enfield
I use Michelin PSS tires with a right foot that does not treat the accelerator as an on-off switch.
The PSS's make a heck of a HUGE difference. The P-Zero's were all over the place.
Did you keep the stock size? Thanks.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:13 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by HalcyonDays
Did you keep the stock size? Thanks.
Change to PSS 305's tomorrow and you will kick yourself for taking so long to get it done. The difference in hook-up is substantial.

The P-Zoos were squirrelly no matter how I modulated the throttle.
With the 305 PSS mounted, if I jump on the gas from a dead stop, the improved traction creates such a violent shudder from the rear axel, I feel like something is about to break.

One can quickly gain a sensitive feel for the pedal and learn to modulate accordingly. All part of what makes the RWD such a fun car to drive.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:30 AM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
Change to PSS 305's tomorrow and you will kick yourself for taking so long to get it done. The difference in hook-up is substantial.

The P-Zoos were squirrelly no matter how I modulated the throttle.
With the 305 PSS mounted, if I jump on the gas from a dead stop, the improved traction creates such a violent shudder from the rear axel, I feel like something is about to break.

One can quickly gain a sensitive feel for the pedal and learn to modulate accordingly. All part of what makes the RWD such a fun car to drive.
I appreciate your response. Why not increase the fronts to 265? I am waiting for the PS4s, so I have a couple of months to aimlessly deliberate tire size.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:32 AM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

i have taken my RWD R to the drag strip (sonoma) probably 5-6 times. i'm still on the stock tires. the drag strip is very sticky, so that helps, but i have not found a secret to hooking up cleanly, other than very careful throttle.

i have nothing to scientifically back this up, but my best luck has been sport mode, with dynamic off.

it is a hoot at the drag strip. people get a kick out of it (i've never seen another one there) and i run 11.70's with some frequency, which is very respectable in the street-class.

i'm sure PSS tires would improve things...would be fun to have slicks to see what that could do. oddly, it does not seem that the AWD improves the 0-60 times much in the magazines (thought it would).

Old 01-25-2017, 12:36 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by HalcyonDays
I appreciate your response. Why not increase the fronts to 265? I am waiting for the PS4s, so I have a couple of months to aimlessly deliberate tire size.
Regarding the front tires, I relied on my tire guys who have been fitting tires on sports cars for decades. I got the impression from their comments that a wider tire up front could adversely impact steering responsiveness.

HalcyonDays (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
Keep in mind a wider tire does not help the vehicle hook up. But the stickier compound does.