Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RWD R...a big tease?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
Perhaps I am just a lazy driver but I want to be able to punch the throttle.
I'm guessing you don't even bother with the paddle shifters.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I'm guessing you don't even bother with the paddle shifters.

actually my cayman is a manual

I used the paddle shifters with both v6 and the r...they are a step up on the lazy scale from my manual cayman

Old 05-03-2016, 08:20 AM
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I had a 3200 lb. C6 Z06 w/ a Tremec.
I miss my c6z06... that's how you do a track car. Less than 3200 pounds, greater than 500 HP, no forced induction...Thinking about picking one up for track duty again...

MC

2015 Jaguar F-type R
1996 Acura NSX-T sold ((((((
1995 Mazda Miata #02
2010 Cadillac Escalade

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
...they are a step up
You mean a step down, don't you?

Old 05-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStig
I miss my c6z06... that's how you do a track car. Less than 3200 pounds, greater than 500 HP, no forced induction...Thinking about picking one up for track duty again...

MC

2015 Jaguar F-type R
1996 Acura NSX-T sold ((((((
1995 Mazda Miata #02
2010 Cadillac Escalade
Amen!

Old 05-03-2016, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

I just spent a weekend with two GT4s, a GT3 RS a Spyder and few other Cayman and Boxster variations in the Blue Ridge Mountains and on the Dragons back. I personally owned a Cayman S turbo TCP stage II. You are coming from a car with very low torque and gearing that is way too long in first and second gear. Even with 460whp in my Cayman I could always just floor the pedal and nothing would break lose. I also was still out accelerate by a stock 911 because of the gearing. I would have to rev high and let the clutch snap to get the wheels to spin. So you are used to drive a car you can floor the pedal out of a turn and all is good. That is not possible with ANY high torque engine car and you have to feather the pedal.
I had my reservations about the F Type in regards to handling on very twisty roads especially when compared to the 986, 987 etc platform ... not anymore, I was right on their bumper and breathing down their necks hard with the F Type. At the end of the day the stock Pirellis were done and have gotten greasy, no doubt having to deal with the extra weight. The Cayman is one of the easiest cars to drive well, light weight, mid engine, low torque, long revving engine with gobs of grip. Makes everybody a better driver. This is a British Mustang and requires a lot of feel. Mine is tuned north of 600+hp and if I want I can let it rip in third gear at any time, but the power is also absolutely usable.
I drive with many so called supercars and will not be left behind. I hang with Aventadors, Huracans and 458s no problem. You just have to feather the gas until you are sure the tires grip and floor it and they will not pull away.

I have gopro footage of the cars in front of me up the Blue Ridge mountains slipping left and right and not able to shake me off ....

Name:  20160417_104042-012.jpeg
Views: 112
Size:  544.3 KB

different - definitely, manageable - absolutely just a question of practice and getting used to ... was your first whiskey or cigar tasty ...? certainly not ...

or you can just get a V6 ...

PS I rarely floor the pedal, not until mid 3rd gear ... most of the time I use 10-20% of the throttle to get maximum acceleration which blows all my prior cars owned out of the water, including a tuned 911 turbo (even though that one was faster to 60mph, just did it without any visceral sensation).

F Type on Mt. Mitchel

and GT4s

Name:  20160417_180949-012.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  453.5 KB

Last edited by Schwabe; 05-03-2016 at 12:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
When I tried "Dynamic Launch" over the weekend, I feathered the throttle and waited for the signal in the display (which never happened). What happened was that when the RPMs got around 2k, the ECU took over, dropped the RPMs to 1500 and stopped responding to the throttle.
No launch control in V8 engine cars, too much torque ...

You can rev to 4,000rpm before you are cut off in a V8Sin stand still, I don't know however if you can hold it there or if the ECU brings it then down.

I would never increase rpm for a launch in the V8S, you cannot put that down. Start in 2 gear, feather the throttle into mid 3rd and then floor it. If you practice enough you can launch the car in under 3.5 seconds to 60. I have never been able to do that and could care less, the sense of acceleration is still the same ... anybody riding with me has the same giggling, scared expression as when the roller coaster goes over the first hump ...

The following 2 users liked this post by Schwabe:
DPelletier (05-03-2016), Smoke Em (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 01:04 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks Schwabe for the knowledge and beautiful pictures. It sounds like you had an awesome ride with a bunch of nice cars. Unfortunately I only have the S so have a lot less power and torque as you but still love the ride. I'm looking into upgrading the pulley and tune and then I think I will be done with this particular car and will practice my driving and skills for the next car (F-type R).

Old 05-03-2016, 02:03 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

It sounds to me like the issue is that you are trying to drive the R the same way you drive your cayman. You can't.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

[QUOTE=baege;1453995]
Originally Posted by TheStig
Yes the 550+ HP in the RWD coupe is overkill, especially with 295s in the back. My stock tires have 10,000 miles on them and if I stab the throttle I'm going no where fast with a traction control icon blinking furiously. I am really hoping the Michelins are as good as everyone says they are. I read somewhere the the f-type was like "Carl Lewis in stilettos"

In short the V8 RWD does require some effort and it is not the effortless handler a Cayman or Lotus would be , but I believe it can be just as rewarding as the V6"

What really attracted me to the f type was sound, looks and low end torque. I was impressed with the awd S I drove in this regard.

I was expecting the R to impress me even more, but it did not.

The v6's power was for me more accessible and so that made it more fun. Perhaps I am just a lazy driver but I want to be able to punch the throttle and feel that low end torque push you back in your seat at low rpm. I can punch the throttle in my cayman but its lack of low end torque means I don't get that push in the back. With the R it can obviously really push you back (much more so than the v6), but I found I couldn't just punch the throttle. When I was gentle with the throttle I didn't find it all that exciting and when I punched it, it lost control. The v6 on the other hand allowed me to punch it at will and had much more low end pull than my cayman.

I was hoping the R would bring me back to a car that pulled strong at low rpms and allowed me to pass with ease at any rpm. I had that in my old 5.0 mustangs and I find it a lot of fun. Somehow I think the v6 hits that mark more than the R does which I find a little surprising.

In the end, we all have different driving styles and quirks, I suppose the v6 just fits my lazy style more
This tells you everything you need to know. Either you need the V6 or the awd V8. Easy! Lol