F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RWD - Summer Only Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 03:02 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RWD - Summer Only Tires

Apparently I have a nail in my left rear tire. My S has the 20" rims with the 295/40 P0's on the back, however Tire Rack says they should be 295/30. All 4 tires have a ton of tread on them, but I'm seeing that "Pirelli does not endorse the The repairing of V, W, Y or Z Speed Rated tires;".

The car is only out during the summer and only in the rain if I get caught in a storm. I drive it like it was meant to be driven, which makes me think I should heed Pirelli's recommendation and skip the patch? I don't track it, but those little yellow signs with the "S curve ahead" are my favorite!

I'm thinking that I can't just replace one of them, so I might as well upgrade the rears. From what I'm reading, it looks like the Pilot Sport 4's are the recommended upgrades from the P-Zero followed very closely by the Continental ExtremeContact Plus? I'm also seeing that people have upgraded just the rears and haven't had any issues with the handling.

I thought I'd ask because a lot of the threads I'm seeing are older. Anyone have any experience with a similar issue? Thank you!

Last edited by Spyderturbo007; 06-15-2023 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:56 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I had a screw in the rear tyre (centre part of the tread) of my 2010 XKR which happened on my drive home after picking it up! I took it to a local tyre place and had it plugged - the only advice I got was "maybe not" when I jokingly said would it be okay for the Nurburgring. The tyre was fine until it wore down and had to be replaced.

Surprised you have 40 and not the correct 30 profile, though, any reason for that?

The following users liked this post:
Spyderturbo007 (06-16-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 05:19 PM

I have no idea what they are the wrong size. The car came from the dealer as a CPO with those tires. So much for the CPO process.

Old 06-15-2023, 05:27 PM
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

A plug-patch is perfectly acceptable if it’s not near the sidewall. Go to Discount Tire. They will repair it for free.

I wouldn’t put two different treads on a car that I drive “athletically”. If you still have the Pirelli PZero’s you would be amazed at how much better the car handles with Pilot Sport 4S’s. (Not Pilot Sport 4’s! Entirely different tire).

Old 06-15-2023, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 361 Posts

I'd patch them if they were anything other than the P-Zeros. My reason is solely that I hate the P-Zeros.

Real weird that they are 40 series...

Old 06-15-2023, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Should not be a problem using a decent tyre plug kit such is this one from Stop & Go: https://www.stopngo.com/products/7849
I have the exact same kit and have used it twice on my left rear tyre (stock 20" size of 295/30ZR20).
Once on a nail puncture and then on a screw puncture.
Both times a few years ago now and both times I never bothered to get the hole professionally patched and the plugs have held up perfectly to this day.
Cheap enough and dead easy to use, if the nail/screw is easy to spot you can even do it on the roadside without having to remove the wheel from the car although both times I did it in my garage with the wheel/tyre up on the workbench.
The only/main proviso is that the nail or screw puncture must be in the main tread away from the sidewall.
That said if you have any doubts you should dump the crappy P-Zeros and fit something decent like MPS4S instead, then plug the hole and keep the old rear tyres as spares.

Old 06-16-2023, 06:18 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Agreed, have it repaired by a competent shop. It will hold up just fine. We've run repaired tires on the track, at seriously high temps, never an issue. Even the seriously porky EV guys that do track days and shred their tires in 5 laps have success with a properly patched tire. Remember, the repair of a nail hole is not the source of catastrophic tire failures.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:35 AM

Thank you to all that replied. I'm going to see if I can find a place that can do a repair without butchering my rims.

Oh, and I was being dumb when I said they were 40's and not 30's. I was going off memory and for some reason, thought they were the wrong size. They are indeed 295/30-20.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:18 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007
Thank you to all that replied. I'm going to see if I can find a place that can do a repair without butchering my rims.
I'm pretty sure when mine was fixed the guy didn't have to remove the tyre to fix it.

Carbuff2 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

What is it regards punctures in the left rear tire????? We had a puncture in that one, too.

Our plug repair lasted 18 months without further issues. Actually, I should have just tightened the screw properly to stop any leakage, right?

Old 06-17-2023, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

We have the same left rear tire problem on the Audi!!
Trouble is Audi fitted P-Zeros with sound reducing foam inside the tires.
Means they are very difficult to repair and our tire shops will not touch them even for a simple nail.
Apparently, they are supposed to remove the foam to make the repair but they say the repairs do not hold well.
Plus they prefer to sell a new tire!!
I've just ordered a new set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 A/S from Tire Rack!!

Last edited by CJSJAG; 06-17-2023 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-17-2023, 04:42 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
What is it regards punctures in the left rear tire????? We had a puncture in that one, too.
Perversely, mine was a left rear, too, same as Oz. I assumed it was picked up from rubbish at the side of the road, but if you drive on the right .....

Old 06-17-2023, 10:57 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I picked up a nail last fall in the left rear, requiring replacement.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About 2 weeks after buying my F-Type I ran over a piece of detritus pulling into my apartment's parking garage and heard a loud "pop". Fearing a full tire failure I quickly checked it out, but couldn't tell exactly what it was. Since the tire didn't immediately lose any air pressure according to the instrument cluster, I pulled it into the garage and parked it overnight as it was saturday at 6PM and I wasn't going to find any open tire shops.

Weirdly, also the left rear tire!

The previous owner had fitted the car with extra-wide Continental ExtremeContact Sports (they put 295/35 ZR19s on a 19" rim that originally came with 275s) and I was really not looking forward to putting a brand new pair of $400 tires on a car I had just picked up. I was almost certain that the puncture diameter was going to be too large to patch so I started searching for a good deal on these conti tires as I didn't want to replace all 4 or have mismatched sets front and back.

I checked the car the next morning (Sunday) and surprisingly the tire still hadn't lost a single psi. Being extremely impatient and having nothing to do that sunday, I found the nearest open tire chain within AAA's free towing radius and had AAA tow the car there on a flatbed. Much to my surprise, the item ended up being an adjustable foot from a piece of furniture. Luckily, the 1/4-20 thread on it was exactly the max diameter for patching and within 10 minutes the (very bored) tire shop guys had the wheel off, tire off, tire inside cleaned, prepared, and patched, and finally tire and wheel back on.

$15 later I was out the door and and enjoyed a nice long Sunday drive. Still haven't seen any change or loss in tire pressure ~3 months later, with frequent spirited driving out in the country and rough Dallas city streets. Purely anecdotal but have had great experience with my only professional tire patch.

The object lodged in my tire

The object post-surgical removal

Last edited by KimboSlice; 06-19-2023 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:36 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KimboSlice
About 2 weeks after buying my F-Type I ran over a piece of detritus pulling into my apartment's parking garage and heard a loud "pop". Fearing a full tire failure I quickly checked it out, but couldn't tell exactly what it was. Since the tire didn't immediately lose any air pressure according to the instrument cluster, I pulled it into the garage and parked it overnight as it was saturday at 6PM and I wasn't going to find any open tire shops.

Weirdly, also the left rear tire!

The previous owner had fitted the car with extra-wide Continental ExtremeContact Sports (they put 295/35 ZR19s on a 19" rim that originally came with 275s) and I was really not looking forward to putting a brand new pair of $400 tires on a car I had just picked up. I was almost certain that the puncture diameter was going to be too large to patch so I started searching for a good deal on these conti tires as I didn't want to replace all 4 or have mismatched sets front and back.

I checked the car the next morning (Sunday) and surprisingly the tire still hadn't lost a single psi. Being extremely impatient and having nothing to do that sunday, I found the nearest open tire chain within AAA's free towing radius and had AAA tow the car there on a flatbed. Much to my surprise, the item ended up being an adjustable foot from a piece of furniture. Luckily, the 1/4-20 thread on it was exactly the max diameter for patching and within 10 minutes the (very bored) tire shop guys had the wheel off, tire off, tire inside cleaned, prepared, and patched, and finally tire and wheel back on.

$15 later I was out the door and and enjoyed a nice long Sunday drive. Still haven't seen any change or loss in tire pressure ~3 months later, with frequent spirited driving out in the country and rough Dallas city streets. Purely anecdotal but have had great experience with my only professional tire patch.

The object lodged in my tire

The object post-surgical removal
Lol, that’s got to be a first! Great story.

KimboSlice (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 05:40 PM

I’m thinking it’s too close to the sidewall and not repairable?

I was supposed to have an appointment on Thursday to get it fixed. Looks like I might be ordering tires.

Old 06-20-2023, 06:12 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Don’t forget to see if you got road hazard insurance with your tires. Tire Rack credited me with what I previously paid towards a replacement rear when I picked up a nail in a similar spot.

Old 06-20-2023, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

You might check out buying a matching used tire on Ebay before you double down!!
Tire Rack will also "shave" tires to match as opposed to buying 2 new.

Old 06-20-2023, 06:39 PM
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

Discount refused repair. Rack cut me a check for the replacement price.

Old 06-20-2023, 07:52 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

You can patch a Z or ZR rated tire patched with no problems, but you MUST get the tire rebalanced. If you go at high speeds with an unbalanced tire. you risk severe vibrations, which will cause the tire(s) to overheat and lose traction. This is why they say to never patch Z rated tires. 99.999 percent of people with Z or ZR rated tires will not do this, so this is why it works for them.

Quick Reply: RWD - Summer Only Tires