Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RWD vs AWD ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts
Default RWD vs AWD ?

So I read that most of the time AWD is actually pushing power to the rear. Living in a state where snow and ice is fleeting or legendary, has anybody else felt that AWD in the V6 motor was worth the investment ? Coming from the Audi's Quattro system it took me a while to master the art of not throwing the rear end out in my XFR, so would you pay extra for the AWD ? I haven't had an opportunity to test drive both, so far only RWD.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

A lot of us like RWD for the added drama, but it sure sounds like you would be better served with AWD.

Snow conditions, wet, best acceleration, safety - AWD.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

I've only driven the AWD in the R, and I havent driven an RWD R. I thought it felt quite a bit "heavier" in the steering compared to the V6S, but that might have been imagination.

That said, Australian caradvice did a review on the V6S AWD and thought the AWD suited the car better. Coming from a climate where snow and sleet would be about as frequent as that in Texas, the RWD is pretty awesome.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I've only driven the AWD in the R, and I havent driven an RWD R. I thought it felt quite a bit "heavier" in the steering compared to the V6S, but that might have been imagination.

That said, Australian caradvice did a review on the V6S AWD and thought the AWD suited the car better. Coming from a climate where snow and sleet would be about as frequent as that in Texas, the RWD is pretty awesome.
Whether RWD or AWD, the 6 will always feel lighter than the 8 (because it really is). Similarly with the RWD vs AWD V6 cars. I personally am not a fan of AWDs. If you need severe inclement weather traction a real 4x4 will be far more effective than an AWD. I've pulled a number of AWDs out of neighbors' driveways (including an H2 Hummer) with either of my 2 4x4s. The AWD will certainly be of help if you have regular icy or light snow conditions, but a number of RWD F-Types on this forum are just sporting top-notch snow tires for that purpose. Since we only get 2-3 weeks of such road conditions each year in the DC area, I just use one of the 4x4s instead. The AWD F-Type just does not feel as agile as the RWD, and I believe you will be giving up a bit of fun factor for the additional wet (and dry) surface traction because of the additional weight.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Also in MD and elected for the RWD. In Texas I wouldn't hesitate on the RWD unless you don't like spinning tires.

The following users liked this post:
James Tootle (10-15-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I don't mind spinning tires until it comes to buying new ones ;-)

And I had overlooked the extra weight that AWD tends to pack on...thanks guys!

Old 10-14-2016, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

In that case - see 9:00 min mark -

Old 10-15-2016, 12:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
So I read that most of the time AWD is actually pushing power to the rear. Living in a state where snow and ice is fleeting or legendary, has anybody else felt that AWD in the V6 motor was worth the investment ? Coming from the Audi's Quattro system it took me a while to master the art of not throwing the rear end out in my XFR, so would you pay extra for the AWD ? I haven't had an opportunity to test drive both, so far only RWD.
Fellow Austonian here with a RWD R and loving every minute of it.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Whether RWD or AWD, the 6 will always feel lighter than the 8 (because it really is). Similarly with the RWD vs AWD V6 cars. I personally am not a fan of AWDs. If you need severe inclement weather traction a real 4x4 will be far more effective than an AWD. I've pulled a number of AWDs out of neighbors' driveways (including an H2 Hummer) with either of my 2 4x4s. The AWD will certainly be of help if you have regular icy or light snow conditions, but a number of RWD F-Types on this forum are just sporting top-notch snow tires for that purpose. Since we only get 2-3 weeks of such road conditions each year in the DC area, I just use one of the 4x4s instead. The AWD F-Type just does not feel as agile as the RWD, and I believe you will be giving up a bit of fun factor for the additional wet (and dry) surface traction because of the additional weight.

If you had to pull an H2 out of snow in a driveway it was driver error. I have an H2. They are AWD but also have Four High and Four Low as well as locking rear diff. I have yet to get mine stuck in sand, mud or snow. Not saying its impossible but would take a lot. They are tanks.

On topic, I have only driven the AWD F-Type. In my youth I would love the extra excitement of the looser rear end. Now that I am a little older I prefer the "security" and precision of AWD. It does take a bit of getting used to in order to drive aggressively.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mp51998
If you had to pull an H2 out of snow in a driveway it was driver error. I have an H2.
Maybe tire error. It was in 20" of snow with summer or all season passenger tires rather than real truck A/T or M/S tires. However, either the front or rear axle would lose traction indicating that it had no LSD on the central diff.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Ditto; I have no intention of driving my car in the snow....ever. I have a 4x4 pick up and an AWD GLK for winter duty so the RWD was definitely what I wanted in a 500hp, 2 seat, convertible sportscar. If it was my only vehicle I might feel diferently.....then again, it wouldn't be my choice for an only vehicle.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 04:10 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I was just at the track the other day, my friend has a rwd S and I have a awd S, in the straights he can catch me very easy but in the turns he was pushing the car very hard tires screetching and i was just slightly pushing it and I was pulling away from him.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:55 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

From the reviews I've come across, for a V6S - RWD is a no-brainer; for the V8 R - AWD seems the smarter choice.

Originally Posted by New York Daily
While we do miss the tire-smoking insanity of the RWD R coupe, having all four wheels driving the car makes a big difference in control and face-melting acceleration.
Originally Posted by MotorTrend
Collectively, we Motor Trenders have lovingly complained about the F-Type’s tail-happy nature simply because those moments are controllable. And fun. And in dry conditions. But almost wiping out while cruising in a straight line over an inch of water is simply not cool. Some might say unacceptable. Perhaps it was just a bad spot on the freeway? Nope. The tank-slappy, fail tailonics happened all over town. Even moderate pedal-pushing led to the rear end sliding around. The last time I experienced this sort of new-car wet-weather poor behavior was driving ye olde Corvette ZR1 on essentially slicks (fine, ZR1-specific Michelin Pilot Sport Cups) down from Laguna Seca raceway during a storm. Bad company.

I don’t get it. In my mind it rains 300 days a year in England, the land where the F-Type hails from. One would think that wet-weather handling would be a front-of-mind priority. Apparently not. The easy cop-out would be to say, “But, Jonny, it’s a sports car. You’re not supposed to drive it in the rain.” To which I say, “Porsche 911.” And not the AWD porkers either. The regular-flavor rear-wheel-drive 911s — the very car the F-Type is supposed to compete with — handles near flawlessly in wet conditions. Are the F-Type’s summer tires, Pirelli P Zeros, to blame? No, because P Zeros are standard on 911s. Frustrating and ultimately disappointing. But, hey, there’s no more rain scheduled in the City of Angels until 2016…

Old 10-15-2016, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Holy F type
I was just at the track the other day, my friend has a rwd S and I have a awd S, in the straights he can catch me very easy but in the turns he was pushing the car very hard tires screetching and i was just slightly pushing it and I was pulling away from him.
Tires screatching? They were under inflated. Let him/her know.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:48 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

PSI was monitored by a team just before the laps

Old 10-16-2016, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Holy F type
PSI was monitored by a team just before the laps
He must still be running P-Zeros. The PSSs just don't screech (an indication of sidewall chatter) when properly inflated.