Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RWD vs AWD F Type R

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by casper83
I would say the steering on the 2016 feels much more artificial to me.
AWD will have that effect.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:38 PM
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Electric steering is the culprit, not AWD. They made the switch in 2016.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BlackPenquinn
They made the switch in 2016.
I know...but apples to apples, comparing a 2015 V6S to a 2016 V6S, both RWD, I could not detect a difference. However, driving a 2016 V6S AWD, the sense of road feel was significantly reduced.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:06 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
AWD makes the steering feel light and overboosted? Not sure I agree with that. I'm with BlackPenquinn on the change to electric as the culprit.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

AWD makes the steering feel light and overboosted? Not sure I agree with that. I'm with BlackPenquinn on the change to electric as the culprit.
Why not; any number of parameters could have been changed on the electric PS when the AWD was added. ....I've heard that RWD to RWD the electric wasn't a big change as Lance has noted.

Oh well, I'm very happy with my hydraulic steering and RWD; I'm not knocking the AWD, it has it's advantages but none that matter much to me and I'd rather have the lower weight, lower hood and less complexity of the RWD system for my usage.

Cheers,
Dave

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (06-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:33 AM

Traditionally AWD makes the steering feel heavier, not lighter. It makes sense as there is more weight up front and the tires are “biting” when the system is engaged. You will hear comments about this on the Porsche forums when people compare a C4S to a CS.

Yesterday was the first time I used the “rain/snow” setting and the extra weight on the front end was very noticeable through the wheel. It became “Audi heavy”. Some of this is likely because of the “bite” through the front wheels, but some of it might just be programmed resistance to make the car “feel” more deliberate and planted. Its also important to remember the Jaguar AWD system is actually RWD most of the time. In fact some of the track reviews have stated that the switch from RWD to AWD is so transparent that its problematic for very experienced drivers as the car can change character in the corners (the expect is to act like a RWD heading into a corner, only to have it change in the corner as it claws out). Not everyone feels this way, but I have read it a few times.

Ont the flip side the switch from hydraulic steering to electric steering is almost always described as being “lighter”, “overboosted”, “lacking in tactile feel”. I haven’t driven the two back to back, but as a former Porsche driver I have been following the conversations on their boards.

Its an interesting debate.

Last edited by BlackPenquinn; 05-04-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Traditionally AWD makes the steering feel heavier, not lighter. It makes sense as there is more weight up front and the tires are “biting” when the system is engaged. You will hear comments about this on the Porsche forums when people compare a C4S to a CS.

It makes perfect sense if you assume the same amount of "assist".....but there is no reason to assume this is the case as the engineers could easily have added boost to the electronic system for the AWD variants making it "lighter steering" than the RWD variants.....I don't think comparing what other brands have done is relevant in this case.

JMHO

Dave

Old 05-04-2018, 10:55 AM

If Jaguar can make the steering feel much heavier in the snow mode (apparently that mode sends 50% of the power to the front wheels all the time, versus dynamic, which is really mostly RWD unless slip is detected) I’m not really sure why they would make it much lighter in the dynamic mode. Surely they would try and match the resistance of the hydraulic car, no?

Of course its possible Jaguar has an engineering problem and solution that is completely unlike all other sportscar brands, but the far more plausible answer is the change in feel is a result of the switch to electric from hydraulic steering that took place.

Especially since this switch has created “lighter, more disconnected” steering feel in nearly every other brand that made the switch. In fact Porsche was one of the few brands that finally got the steering feel back into an electric rack with the launch of the GT3 cars.

Are there any engineers out there that can provide some real knowledge beyond a guess and and assumption based on similar situations?

Last edited by BlackPenquinn; 05-04-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Personally, I'd go with the feedback of others that have tried them all over trying to second guess what or why the Jaguar engineers did when designing the AWD power steering assist system.

...or to put it another way, the "proof is in the pudding". IF the electronic vs. hydraulic RWD versions feel similar but AWD does not (as Lance opined) then the "why" is somewhat irrelevant IMO; it is what it is.

Dave

Old 05-04-2018, 11:42 AM

When brands started to make the switch from hydraulic to electric steering there were many, many comments, observations and reviews talking about how electric steering feels “light, over boosted, disconnected, artificial etc.”. A simple internet check will prove this. This reality overshadows the comments of a few people on a single marque board.

This is has been the default commentary until the Porsche GT3 cars seemed to have cracked the problem. Most newer cars have a less artificial feel as the tech is getting better. Its is also very likely the 2018 Jags feel better than the 16 cars.

But I can’t seem to find even one reviewer who has targeted AWD as a reason for “lighter or over-boosted” steering feel. They normally talk about steering becoming heavier and slightly more muted, and that actually makes sense.

Again, I could easily be wrong, perhaps Jaguar is unlike the other brands that made these changes.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Are there any engineers out there that can provide some real knowledge beyond a guess and and assumption based on similar situations?
Yup <- current chassis engineer.

Something to keep in mind when considering the factors at play here: Every major change to a vehicle with an EPS system requires its own custom EPS tune. Meaning the AWD calibration and the RWD calibration are totally different to compensate for steering weight, bind, turning angle, etc. that varies between the two.

That being said, it’s safe to say the RWD EPS system was probably calibrated to match the old RWD hydraulic system as closely as possible. AWD doesn’t necessarily have this luxury. I guarantee they tried to remove some of the “weight” from the steering feel added by AWD that you wouldn’t normally have as much control over in a hydraulic system. Maybe they went a little too far in the light direction vs. the RWD? I’d have to do a back to back to really tell.

Jaguar said they weren’t willing to add EPS to the F type until they felt it was good enough to compete with a hydraulic system, which is why the 14-15MY didn’t get it. Personally I think they did a fantastic job compared to other brands out there. I don’t share the same complaints some other members have mentioned, but I exclusively drive in dynamic mode which does have a heavier/more sporty feel to it built into the calibration.

Last edited by Stohlen; 05-04-2018 at 11:59 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Stohlen:
BlackPenquinn (05-04-2018), DJS (05-04-2018), DPelletier (05-04-2018), ndabunka (05-05-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen

Yup <- current chassis engineer.

That being said, it’s safe to say the RWD EPS system was probably calibrated to match the old RWD hydraulic system as closely as possible. AWD doesn’t necessarily have this luxury. I guarantee they tried to remove some of the “weight” from the steering feel added by AWD that you wouldn’t normally have as much control over in a hydraulic system.
Thanks for chiming in. I just want to be sure I’m reading your answer correctly.
It seems to suggest Jaguar would likely be looking to remove some of the extra weight from the steering feel that is added when you go AWD.

This fits with my experience that AWD cars generally have a heavier not lighter steering feel.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Thanks for chiming in. I just want to be sure I’m reading your answer correctly.
It seems to suggest Jaguar would likely be looking to remove some of the extra weight from the steering feel that is added when you go AWD.

This fits with my experience that AWD cars generally have a heavier not lighter steering feel.
Yes, 100%. Often when we’re developing a new steering system we’ll target 1 competitive vehicle or 1 specific model of our current lineup and try to make our steering system feel like that across the board. With hydraulic power steering systems there’s only so much you can do with the boost curve of the pump without negatively impacting other areas of steering; but EPS doesn’t have this flaw and offers the ability to change feel independent of other things while maintaining 1 single power steering system. Hydraulic systems may require totally different pumps, tortion bars in the gear, boost curves, etc. to accomplish the same thing and it wouldn’t be nearly as consistent as EPS can get.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Also an engineer here, although not a chassis engineer. Thanks for the input Stohlen, much appreciated.

If we go back to the original statement that started this sidebar: “awd will have that effect”, in my case meaning light and over boosted, the awd itself would not cause this. Certainly, as pointed out, changing other parameters can have this affect regardless of hydraulic or electric, but it’s not a result just because of awd.

Although a good discussion I agree with DPelletier, the original poster is probably more interested in “proof is in the pudding” and not so much the how. As someone who has owned both a 2015 with hydraulic steering and 2016 with electric steering in V8 formats, not just driven once back to back, I can unequivocally say the 2016 feels light, overboosted and not as connected as the 2015. Just my opinion though.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

I was referring to road feel, not light vs heavy. AWD will tend to minimize feedback through the steering wheel when under power. The EPS on the 2016+ RWD was fortunately implemented to leave most of the feedback that is provided with the 2015 hydraulic system.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:02 PM

As someone who has owned both a 2015 with hydraulic steering and 2016 with electric steering in V8 formats, not just driven once back to back, I can unequivocally say the 2016 feels light, overboosted and not as connected as the 2015. Just my opinion though.
This was my point, most sportscar brands heard this exact same feedback from customers and reviewers when they switched from hydraulic to electric steering. The systems keep getting better and 2018 cars could be set up better than the earlier cars.

Personally, I find the Jaguars steering to be very accurate, but it is lacking in feel when I compare it to the hydraulic system that was in my V12 Vantage. That car had amazing steering feel.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

When Jaguar came out with the electric steering most all of the automotive reviews said it was the best developed and excellent. Porsche was mentioned, as I recall. I don't track my car or push it to the limits, others that do would be better judges, particularly if they drive rwd variants of the same car. Wouldn't one learn to drive with practice whatever the car puts out as the steering feel?

Old 05-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

As someone who has owned both a 2015 with hydraulic steering and 2016 with electric steering in V8 formats, not just driven once back to back, I can unequivocally say the 2016 feels light, overboosted and not as connected as the 2015. Just my opinion though.
However, you can't get the newer NAVI in a F-Type with a hydraulic system and the newer NAVI is so much better than the old that would outweigh any minimal difference in steering feedback.

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Jaguar said they weren’t willing to add EPS to the F type until they felt it was good enough to compete with a hydraulic system, which is why the 14-15MY didn’t get it. Personally I think they did a fantastic job compared to other brands out there. I don’t share the same complaints some other members have mentioned, but I exclusively drive in dynamic mode which does have a heavier/more sporty feel to it built into the calibration.
BINGO! Agree 100%

So to the OP, do like I did and buy a newer so that you get all the "bells and whistles"

Last edited by ndabunka; 05-05-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndabunka
However, you can't get the newer NAVI in a F-Type with a hydraulic system and the newer NAVI is so much better than the old that would outweigh any minimal difference in steering feedback.

BINGO! Agree 100%

So to the OP, do like I did and buy a newer so that you get all the "bells and whistles"
That's completely subjective. ;-) In my case, I seldom even use the infotainment system and having the "latest, greatest" electronics (for 6 months anyhow) isn't a big issue for me.

I don't think there is a big difference between the F type hydraulic or electric PS but I'm still glad I have the hydraulic system.

YMMV

Dave

Old 05-05-2018, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Wouldn't one learn to drive with practice whatever the car puts out as the steering feel?
In theory, if the steering is accurate and has no “slop”, yes you could pilot a car accurately. Many drivers cars have been said to fall into this category. Some of these cars have been characterized As having a “video game” quality.

But then there are the cars that transcend just being able to accurately make their way around. These are the cars that are a revelation. The ones where the car, the driver and the road merge and become one. Once you have driven a car with fantastic road feel, you are really ruined for other cars.

My V12 Vantage had phenomenal steering feel. The EPS in the F Type is not in that league, but few cars are.

The steering in my Cayman R was fantastic, though not just as “feelsome” as the Vantage, but that whole car was totally in sync; the steering, the gears, the chassis, so it was sublime too.

The steering feel in my unassisted Alfa 4C was very heavy and raw, but strangely I’m not sure I would say it had great “feeling”.

My Lotus 211 had steering that was almost telepathic at speed. Nothing artificial about it, nothing boosted. You could guide the car with a smooth and light grip. Naturally light steering full of feel is nothing like numb over boosted steering with no feel.

The Jaguar F Type has very good steering feel, especially for an electric rack, but I don’t think it is “telegraphic” or “phenomenal”, but it is very good, if a little too light IMHO.

Last edited by BlackPenquinn; 05-05-2018 at 10:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlackPenquinn:
DPelletier (05-07-2018), jaguny (05-06-2018)