F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a sad day for me

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

might be out longer than 4 weeks. I'd say 6 weeks. Seems like 6 years, been there done that.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:54 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,147 Likes on 1,437 Posts

According to Wikipedia, two states allow you to legally be uninsured:
New Hampshire and Virginia do not require motor vehicle insurance. In New Hampshire vehicle owners must satisfy a personal responsibility requirement; instead of paying monthly premiums, and prove that they are capable of paying in case of an accident. In Virginia vehicle owners may pay an uninsured motorist fee.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Sorry for your bad luck. At least with the lease you don't take the value hit.

Dave

Old 03-04-2016, 01:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Sorry for your bad luck. At least with the lease you don't take the value hit.

Dave
thank you all. couldn't sleep last night because I kept going over the moment of impact and the pieces of my precious car littered on the street. but at least it's a lease..and yes, I am not hurt. but I had kep the car IMMACULATE and my biggest fear on a daily basis was a door sing in a parking lot or a stray rock chip on the freeway..not this.
again, thank you all for your support and expertise

Old 03-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

Some stress for the first couple of days is perfectly normal after any accident as your brain tries to process the near miss and learn how to avoid it. Take plenty of time out to relax and find pleasurable things to take your mind off it. Easier said than done, but it really helps.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 22,108 Likes on 8,845 Posts

There's always small claims court to file a claim against him (or her).
Just watch out that they don't file bankruptcy just after being served with papers.
If that happens, you'll be notified by their b/k lawyer when and where the b/k will be heard.
Take all paper work and pics with you to challenge them in b/k court in an effort to not have your case tossed out.
You may need to talk in front of the b/k panel of "judges" to show them why your case should not be included in the decision to award the other guy/gal bankruptcy and eliminate you from any further small claims actions.
If you are victorious, then you can proceed to small claims court.
Good luck whichever way you decide.

Been there done that, I lost in the b/k court.
I was hit head on very mild, almost at a stop. Car was an '86 Olds 442 w/t-tops and lots of other goodies. I payed to have it fixed, cost a few $$$, but worth it.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:20 PM

on a slightly different note, is there a particular insurance that is the best for exotics?...just for future reference. or do you guys think GEICO is good enough?

Old 03-04-2016, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by diablomkii
on a slightly different note, is there a particular insurance that is the best for exotics?...just for future reference. or do you guys think GEICO is good enough?
Probably other better insurance for exotics if you are going to limit mileage, but the F-Type is by no means considered an exotic, just a run-of-the-mill luxury coupe. GEICO will do just fine.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayt2
There's always small claims court to file a claim against him (or her).
Just watch out that they don't file bankruptcy just after being served with papers.
If that happens, you'll be notified by their b/k lawyer when and where the b/k will be heard.
Take all paper work and pics with you to challenge them in b/k court in an effort to not have your case tossed out.
You may need to talk in front of the b/k panel of "judges" to show them why your case should not be included in the decision to award the other guy/gal bankruptcy and eliminate you from any further small claims actions.
If you are victorious, then you can proceed to small claims court.
Good luck whichever way you decide.

Been there done that, I lost in the b/k court.
I was hit head on very mild, almost at a stop. Car was an '86 Olds 442 w/t-tops and lots of other goodies. I payed to have it fixed, cost a few $$$, but worth it.
Surely if you are insured your insurance will pay and then they will attempt to recover from the other party.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

Go to Jaguar certified shop, period!

Old 03-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

the other guy didn't have insurance.
Did he get a trip to jail? In Georgia no insurance usually means the car get impounded and the driver gets a free trip to jail. I'm curious how your state handled it.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bret_T
Did he get a trip to jail? In Georgia no insurance usually means the car get impounded and the driver gets a free trip to jail. I'm curious how your state handled it.
I told the cops that the guy ran a red light, was driving under the influence(he was high on marijuana) AND has no insurance!! they told me he did not "commit any criminal act" and only gave him a citation. they were still talking to him when I got in the tow truck so not sure what ensued. but I'm sure not jail. I wish he did get put in the slammer. scum.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow. That's terrible. Apparently the law says that people must have insurance, but there's no real consequence if they don't. What state do you live in?

Old 03-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Bret_T
Wow. That's terrible. Apparently the law says that people must have insurance, but there's no real consequence if they don't. What state do you live in?
Unfortunately, the main consequence in most states is that one is not allowed to renew a DL or registration w/o insurance. Unfortunately, that doesn't help much in situations where the DL and registration is still valid.

All you can do is sue an uninsured motorist for damages.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:32 PM

Washington state.

Sad (or reassuring) part is that GEICO will give the guy a harder time than the cops did.
I hope they go after his bank accounts and all, because im sure the repair bill for the ftype is going to be around $20,000.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:37 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I had this happen years ago. Lady rear-ended me. She had no insurance, so I sued her in Small Claims Court. Amazingly she showed. Judgement for me, but she had no assets and skipped town so I was out the Court and Service Costs.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:00 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Best deal if you bundle: house(s), cars, motorcycles, umbrella. Everything you need ins for, have your agent search the market!

Old 03-06-2016, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
I had this happen years ago. Lady rear-ended me. She had no insurance, so I sued her in Small Claims Court. Amazingly she showed. Judgement for me, but she had no assets and skipped town so I was out the Court and Service Costs.
I frequently dealt with small claims in the past, and if you want to be spiteful, sell your judgement to collection agency for $1. They will make her life living hell. I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice, but judgments have very long expiry date unless bankruptcy declared.

If not, you can go back to small claims and garnish her wages. If you want to be really spiteful, come with a sheriff and take away her possessions (e.g. TV). You could do that if there is established pattern of dodging court-mandated repayment plans.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
I frequently dealt with small claims in the past, and if you want to be spiteful, sell your judgement to collection agency for $1. They will make her life living hell. I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice, but judgments have very long expiry date unless bankruptcy declared.

If not, you can go back to small claims and garnish her wages. If you want to be really spiteful, come with a sheriff and take away her possessions (e.g. TV). You could do that if there is established pattern of dodging court-mandated repayment plans.
lol...good tips!

Old 03-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

I feel your pain, accidents like that where you're driving your pride and joy -- and out of the blue, some idiot creams your beloved... Console yourself that it wasn't your fault (I've damaged my Jaguars where it has been my fault, that's been torture).
Our cars need seriously specialized body shops, I happened upon the one near me and I stopped in to talk to them about how you fix a car that is made from aluminum, glued and riveted together mostly by robots. They took me in the shop and showed me all the specialized tools they use, and the certifications on the wall they have from JLR.
Check on your body shop: make sure they are JLR approved.
Hope she's fixed soon enough!

Quick Reply: a sad day for me