F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Same size wheels all around

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same size wheels all around

I have a 2016 f type r and I'm looking for a wheel set up that works all around (same size wheel all 4) other than staggered.

Has any one achieved this? If so what size(s) did you go with. Any and ALL suggestions are welcome.

Thank you all in advance!

*I have stock/ factory wheels - I'm only changing tires*

Old 04-14-2023, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I have never read or heard of anyone trying this on an F-Type.
I presume you want a non-staggered set-up so you can rotate wheels/tyres front to back and vice versa, either that are you are considering winter/snow tyres that are harder to find in staggered set-ups.
My guess is that the stock rear tyres 295/30ZR20 will be too wide for the front wheel wells such that they will rub like crazy on anywhere near full lock, so you would need to go for something smaller than that.
We know that 265/35ZR20 tyres fit/work on the front without rubbing as that is the stock size on the current R and the SVR, but that is on 9.5" wide wheels and not the 10.5" wide stock wheels on the older R such as a 2016. They will probably still fit/work on the fronts on the 10.5" wheels but we can't be sure of that, and 10.5" wheels might be considered too wide for 265 tyres although I reckon they will be fine.
I don't know if 275/30 let alone 275/35 will fit on the front without rubbing but I suspect they would.
Also, 265 on the rear might be lacking a bit in grip at least for summer tyres but would not be a problem for winter/snow tyres.
To sum up, I reckon 265/35ZR20 is your best bet but even that may have problems.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Carbuff2 (04-15-2023), Jsstadmire6317 (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I have never read or heard of anyone trying this on an F-Type.
I presume you want a non-staggered set-up so you can rotate wheels/tyres front to back and vice versa, either that are you are considering winter/snow tyres that are harder to find in staggered set-ups.
My guess is that the stock rear tyres 295/30ZR20 will be too wide for the front wheel wells such that they will rub like crazy on anywhere near full lock, so you would need to go for something smaller than that.
We know that 265/35ZR20 tyres fit/work on the front without rubbing as that is the stock size on the current R and the SVR, but that is on 9.5" wide wheels and not the 10.5" wide stock wheels on the older R such as a 2016. They will probably still fit/work on the fronts on the 10.5" wheels but we can't be sure of that, and 10.5" wheels might be considered too wide for 265 tyres although I reckon they will be fine.
I don't know if 275/30 let alone 275/35 will fit on the front without rubbing but I suspect they would.
Also, 265 on the rear might be lacking a bit in grip at least for summer tyres but would not be a problem for winter/snow tyres.
To sum up, I reckon 265/35ZR20 is your best bet but even that may have problems.
Thank you so much! I appreciate the detailed response!

Furthermore, I'm new to the f type community so I'm definitely looking to network in the DC, MD, VA (DMV) area!

Old 04-15-2023, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

I'd recommend staying with the split sizes. Even on an AWD model, the F-Type sends more power to the rear wheels and the extra size is helpful for grip. On the front, you would be adding weight to oversize - and can't handle the 295/30ZR20's, as noted by OzXFR. Above all else, get some good tires. Most on the forum prefer the Michelin PS4S, although there are some other good alternatives. (I don't recall anyone voting to stay with the original P-Zero's). There is also now a PS5S, but in limited sizes (a bit higher in price, slightly better on wear and hydroplaning, but slightly less in overall performance).

The following users liked this post:
jcb-memphis (04-16-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

You need to stay staggered. Anything else would be inviting problems. Theoretically, you could have wheels made that are the same width as the front for the back with an offset that would have them not look ridiculous (too far in under the wheel wells). You would now have narrower tires in the back on a 550 hp car. you could make it work, but to what gain?

Old 04-15-2023, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
I'd recommend staying with the split sizes. Even on an AWD model, the F-Type sends more power to the rear wheels and the extra size is helpful for grip. On the front, you would be adding weight to oversize - and can't handle the 295/30ZR20's, as noted by OzXFR. Above all else, get some good tires. Most on the forum prefer the Michelin PS4S, although there are some other good alternatives. (I don't recall anyone voting to stay with the original P-Zero's). There is also now a PS5S, but in limited sizes (a bit higher in price, slightly better on wear and hydroplaning, but slightly less in overall performance).
Not quite right about the PS5S, it is only just out, it is OEM fitment only (ie you can't buy them yet), it is now called the PSS5, and it is available only in 21" OEM fitment on a few cars. But you can get PS5 (not the S) although they are not as "ultra" high performance as the PS4S or PSS5.

Old 04-16-2023, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can do that. My wet/monsoon season set up is 20x9 all the way around. I went with 255/35/20s and they fit just fine. I did put 20mm spacers on the back just so it won't look goofy. As a daily driver set up, this works just fine. For my touring/summer set up, I stuck with the OEM offset.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by thunderrun53
Yes, you can do that. My wet/monsoon season set up is 20x9 all the way around. I went with 255/35/20s and they fit just fine. I did put 20mm spacers on the back just so it won't look goofy. As a daily driver set up, this works just fine. For my touring/summer set up, I stuck with the OEM offset.
Originally Posted by OzXFR
Not quite right about the PS5S, it is only just out, it is OEM fitment only (ie you can't buy them yet), it is now called the PSS5, and it is available only in 21" OEM fitment on a few cars. But you can get PS5 (not the S) although they are not as "ultra" high performance as the PS4S or PSS5.
Originally Posted by eeeeek
You need to stay staggered. Anything else would be inviting problems. Theoretically, you could have wheels made that are the same width as the front for the back with an offset that would have them not look ridiculous (too far in under the wheel wells). You would now have narrower tires in the back on a 550 hp car. you could make it work, but to what gain?
Originally Posted by uncheel
Thank you all for your enlightening responses!

Any additional tips or suggestions with regards to f types please don't hesitate to advise!

Warm regards,
Jon