F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SAT Radio expiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:10 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts
Default SAT Radio expiring

The generous 3 month subscription to Sirrius XM is expiring(BMW gave us a year) and I can't decide whether or not to renew it. I only ever listened to four channels and the sound from the radio vs the same song on my phone doesn't come close. There is no depth to the radio sound. Also, I can get Sirrius XM from my phone app using the BMW account. I think I will let it expire.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

It's very easy to get deep retention discounts from Sirius, but I've let the service lapse on every vehicle I have that has satellite (and I have 4 of them) as the sound quality is just not up to any acceptable standard.

The following users liked this post:
Buckingham (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
It's very easy to get deep retention discounts from Sirius, but I've let the service lapse on every vehicle I have that has satellite (and I have 4 of them) as the sound quality is just not up to any acceptable standard.
Agreed, Bluetooth streaming is far superior either from your own collection or Pandora, etc.

The following users liked this post:
swajames (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

With InControl Apps providing easy access to my own library, it's a no-brainer: Bye-Bye Satellite.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
With InControl Apps providing easy access to my own library, it's a no-brainer: Bye-Bye Satellite.
I don't have InControl Apps, but I do have easy access to my own library via Bluetooth and my iPhone. However, it's the poor quality of the satellite source that is the deciding factor.

I do have all the fancy apps in my Jeep with the very excellent UConnect system, but I still prefer to just to use my phone and Bluetooth.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:11 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

I don't have InControl Apps, but I do have easy access to my own library via Bluetooth and my iPhone. However, it's the poor quality of the satellite source that is the deciding factor.

I do have all the fancy apps in my Jeep with the very excellent UConnect system, but I still prefer to just to use my phone and Bluetooth.
Foosh, Is the phone/calling Bluetooth still active when you're Bluetooth streaming phone/music to the Jag? What about phone/WAZE navigation instruction Bluetooth steaming when either the phone/music or phone/calling are active?

Desert Hiker

Last edited by Desert Hiker; 11-14-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Desert Hiker
Foosh, Is the phone/calling Bluetooth still active when you're Bluetooth streaming phone/music to the Jag? What about phone/WAZE navigation instruction Bluetooth steaming when either the phone/music or phone/calling are active?

Desert Hiker
Yes, they are. A phone call or Waze instruction just interrupts the music.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:30 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

On our last trip, we were having a great time rocking with the Incontrol app when I got a business call. The music shut off and the call was automatically answered. As soon as I hung up, the music resumed. Even though the phone was plugged in, the music still streams by Bluetooth. At highway speeds, it was quiet enough with the top up to take the call. We love seeing the album artwork on the touchscreen when the music is playing.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, they are. A phone call or Waze instruction just interrupts the music.
Thanks.

Desert Hiker

Old 11-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even though I only listen to 80s on 8, I kept Sirius XM. The price was a no-brainer. It was something like $20 for 6 more months. I spend more than that on lunch sometimes.

I still hear songs on there I totally forgot about, so in a way, I prefer the randomness of it. I get bored with the stuff I have on my iPhone sometimes, so it's just nice to turn on Sirius and just listen to what they're playing. The sound quality doesn't matter to me so much.

As long as they keep offering deals like that, I'll keep the service. It's cheap entertainment during the commute hour.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LoneAspen
Even though I only listen to 80s on 8, I kept Sirius XM. The price was a no-brainer. It was something like $20 for 6 more months. I spend more than that on lunch sometimes.

I still hear songs on there I totally forgot about, so in a way, I prefer the randomness of it. I get bored with the stuff I have on my iPhone sometimes, so it's just nice to turn on Sirius and just listen to what they're playing. The sound quality doesn't matter to me so much.

As long as they keep offering deals like that, I'll keep the service. It's cheap entertainment during the commute hour.
Pandora provides the same thing free of charge. Moreover, the sound quality is far superior streaming via Bluetooth than the highly compressed satellite signal.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneAspen

So my renewal was over $200.00, and being the cheap guy that I am, I called to cancel. I was offered one year for $100.00, and so thinking that was a deal, I took it. Perhaps I should have held out for the $40.00 offer........

Old 11-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwish
So my renewal was over $200.00, and being the cheap guy that I am, I called to cancel. I was offered one year for $100.00, and so thinking that was a deal, I took it. Perhaps I should have held out for the $40.00 offer........

If you really want to keep the SAT, make sure your initial subscription completely runs out. You'll soon get email after email and eventually phone calls begging you to come back. Every email and phone call gets cheaper and cheaper. I, however, use my USB, and Pandora and also do not like the quality of the Sat. After so many emails and phone calls I finally told them to either let me have the service for free or take me off the calling list. It took them a few moments, but they agreed not to call me again.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwish
To be precise the best retention offer is $20 (+ taxes) for 5 months (not 6 months). The catch with this offer is that has no auto-renewal, so after 5 months, they bump you up to the standard rack rate which is $15 per month.

So if you use the $20 for 5 month rate, the key is that you have to set reminders in your calendar to call in prior to the end of the 5 months and renew the rate by threatening to cancel your service.

I do this, and I have harmonized all my cars onto the same 5 month cycle and I usually call about 4.5 months in to renew. They then credit the remaining half month towards the new 5 month term.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:51 AM
Default My strategy......

........for my SiriusXM vehicles is to let the subscription lapse. That softens them and reminds me that I really like the easy access to news/talk + wide music playlist. After a period of separation, we agree on the 50% for 12 month subscription. A shorter subscription period (e.g. 5 months) for a higher discount is just too tedious for me given the additional savings.

Desert Hiker

Old 11-15-2015, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

True, are very persistent. I'm still receiving ridiculously cheap offers on vehicles I sold 2-3 years ago.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
To be precise the best retention offer is $20 (+ taxes) for 5 months (not 6 months). The catch with this offer is that has no auto-renewal, so after 5 months, they bump you up to the standard rack rate which is $15 per month.

So if you use the $20 for 5 month rate, the key is that you have to set reminders in your calendar to call in prior to the end of the 5 months and renew the rate by threatening to cancel your service.

I do this, and I have harmonized all my cars onto the same 5 month cycle and I usually call about 4.5 months in to renew. They then credit the remaining half month towards the new 5 month term.
They offered me 5 months for $25 (like $30 with fees included). I took it and set a reminder to call on my iPhone.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:14 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Like others I always do the 5/6 month renewal. They keep changing it. The average tends to be $4/mo and for that I'll pay for radio. Anything more and there are cheaper/free alternatives.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

I've had unused satellite for at least 8 years. While I could always get it for a nominal cost ($77/yr), I never felt like someone else's guess of my preferences was better than my own. Initially, I just used CD's with MP3, but now you get expanded options with memory sticks, iPhone, and Bluetooth.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

For me, satellite radio has always suffered from inferior sound quality compared to Bluetooth, USB, or memory stick sources in many past cars. However, for whatever reasons, it sounds good in my current Jeep, which came w/ a 2 yr free trial, but it's still not quite as good as Bluetooth or USB connections in the same vehicle. Don't laugh, it's actually a very nice sound system, and it has Hi-Def FM radio, which also sounds good depending upon the station.

It never sounded good in my F-Type, although Bluetooth or USB sound great. I have no clue why that would be the case. Could it be that some satellite receivers are better than others?