F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scan tool opinions, Autel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 05:05 PM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Scan tool opinions, Autel?

I’ve been reading lots over the last while and arrived at this specific Autel Scan tool (it is new for 2024 and had a lot of features trickle down to it from the more expensive MP808BT unit) —>

https://store.autel.com/products/aut...SAAEgKIc_D_BwE

I’m willing to pony up a bit more for this one over the iCarsoft v3 one that everyone seems to like, mainly because this Autel is supposed to deliver more granular/specific codes/info like the Jaguar SDD system does (apparently)…

In my head it is worth it so long as it doesn’t have the problem where it can lead to battery drain. I know the iCarsoft unit doesn’t have those problems based on comments on here.

So,

1) Does anyone have any definitive info that would seem to indicate that I should be able to expect that this Autel device will have no battery drain issues?

2) Does anyone have any general opinions positive or negative on this unit? I’m heavily leaning towards it so long as it won’t be a pain and drain the battery on disconnect etc…

Thanks

Old 06-22-2024, 06:35 PM
Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

I’ve been in contact with someone that has several of their units…not sure which specific models but he hasn’t mentioned any issues with battery drain in the FType.

Old 06-23-2024, 04:56 AM
Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Autel is generally accepted goto for independent shops. If you back out properly and don’t just pull the plug you should be fine.

Old 06-23-2024, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

The iCarsoft scan tools are locked to JLR vehicles and can't be used on anything else, but it's hard to tell with this Autel one.
The blurb says it "Works well on 80+ US, Asian and European vehicle" but does that mean out of the box it works on a range of vehicles or do you have to configure it via software to work on a specific vehicle or set of vehicles (like the iCarsoft) and it won't work on anything else?
Looking at the unboxing vid on the web page it sure looks like you have a screen where you can select from a wide range of different manufacturers, and if that is true then I reckon the extra expense over the iCarsoft is worth it. Maybe worth contacting them to confirm one way or the other.
If I had other cars to work on besides my F-Type then I would consider getting one of these but I don't so I won't!

Old 06-23-2024, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The iCarsoft scan tools are locked to JLR vehicles and can't be used on anything else, but it's hard to tell with this Autel one.
The blurb says it "Works well on 80+ US, Asian and European vehicle" but does that mean out of the box it works on a range of vehicles or do you have to configure it via software to work on a specific vehicle or set of vehicles (like the iCarsoft) and it won't work on anything else?
Looking at the unboxing vid on the web page it sure looks like you have a screen where you can select from a wide range of different manufacturers, and if that is true then I reckon the extra expense over the iCarsoft is worth it. Maybe worth contacting them to confirm one way or the other.
If I had other cars to work on besides my F-Type then I would consider getting one of these but I don't so I won't!
I have 3 vehicles, so it should help beyond the F-type…Another reason I’m considering this unit, can justify the price, etc…

You have to pay for updates for these but in practical terms so long as the year of your car is covered you shouldn’t need to upgrade. Updates are mostly for new model year coverage. That is what my research is saying. The more expensive units that do ECU coding, apparently not have an up to date subscription with them can cause some issues, but this can’t do that stuff. The updates for this specific unit are not that expensive either should I need one.

I like the full detail codes this offers vs the iCarsoft. That’s mainly why I’m considering it.

As you say, could contact them, but not sure some frontline worker will know. Much rather have the experience of someone who uses these on F-types if possible.

Thanks man

Old 06-23-2024, 07:03 AM

I worked for Luxury Performance here in STL for a year as a service writer. We used various big screen Autels on 99% of the cars we serviced. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, JLR and a bunch of exotics. You just tell the Autel what you’re working on, you can switch between brands easily. The owner also had SDD on a lappy and one of the high end Autel’s for custom ECU tunes. I bought a lower end Autel to do basic code reading and maintenance mode things but it only goes up to 2017 and can’t (so says Autel) be updated. Marketing BS of course but it’s their game. The higher end units require an expensive subscription to update.

Old 06-23-2024, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
I worked for Luxury Performance here in STL for a year as a service writer. We used various big screen Autels on 99% of the cars we serviced. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, JLR and a bunch of exotics. You just tell the Autel what you’re working on, you can switch between brands easily. The owner also had SDD on a lappy and one of the high end Autel’s for custom ECU tunes. I bought a lower end Autel to do basic code reading and maintenance mode things but it only goes up to 2017 and can’t (so says Autel) be updated. Marketing BS of course but it’s their game. The higher end units require an expensive subscription to update.
Okay, so you are using your Autel on your 2016 F-type then without battery drain issues I gather. I didn't realize you actually had a unit yourself and were using it so thanks for the clarification.

I'm sure it will be fine, but just thought I would do some due diligence and be sure. I would hate to spend the extra cash and be annoyed by the battery drain stuff...

Old 06-23-2024, 07:23 AM

Yep, never a problem. The emissions inspection on the other hand always causes a problem. Not sure if it’s because the operator doesn’t back out properly and just pulls the plug or if the GVIP software hates JLR.

Old 06-23-2024, 11:44 AM
Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

@Robtrt8 do you know if the Autel is able to program out the active spoiler?

Old 06-23-2024, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Craaaazzy
@Robtrt8 do you know if the Autel is able to program out the active spoiler?
Assuming that was possible you’d need a very expensive one likely that could code ECU changes perhaps. Even the one I’m looking at here, link above, could not do that.

Maybe a fuse could just be pulled or something?

Old 06-23-2024, 11:53 AM

I’m thinking that’d be some dealership level stuff.

When I put some 2010 R seats in my 2009 XF Autel was no help at all with the SRS light. It just knew the car wasn’t happy. Turned out to be the occupancy module was VIN coded. Swapped my old module back into the donor seats and everything was happy.

The following users liked this post:
Craaaazzy (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 01:56 PM
Received 446 Likes on 241 Posts

I've got the Autel MaxiCOM MK808Z:

Amazon Amazon

Never had any issues with battery drain with a proper exit.

The following users liked this post:
User 42324 (06-24-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
I've got the Autel MaxiCOM MK808Z:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098TDC7FM

Never had any issues with battery drain with a proper exit.

Thanks for posting up the feedback...That helps instil even more confidence.

The one I'm looking at is bluetooth. Not sure if that would be any different. Autel is a premium brand so surely their product line is not doing silly non-standard disconnects and such...One would think...

Do you find yourself needing to update much? I'm under the impression I won't need to all that much, if ever, due to updates mostly just delivering coverage for new model years. There may be some non-model-year fixes here and there, but in general that is the impression I have...

Old 06-23-2024, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by DMeister

Do you find yourself needing to update much? I'm under the impression I won't need to all that much, if ever, due to updates mostly just delivering coverage for new model years. There may be some non-model-year fixes here and there, but in general that is the impression I have...
I got the 1-year subscription with it so I've been updating every few months with it. I probably don't *need* to but since I have multiple vehicles it would be good to keep it up-to-date and if I decide to not renew the subscription I want to have it as updated as possible before my current subscription expires.

Old 06-23-2024, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
I got the 1-year subscription with it so I've been updating every few months with it. I probably don't *need* to but since I have multiple vehicles it would be good to keep it up-to-date and if I decide to not renew the subscription I want to have it as updated as possible before my current subscription expires.
Surely they all come with a year subscription I would hope?

Old 06-23-2024, 05:14 PM

I imagine most would but definitely read the fine print to ensure it comes with it.

Old 06-23-2024, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 435 Likes on 319 Posts

Stick to the icarsoft, saves you from bricking your ecm,the autel is good but not necessary for our jags ,to many members have bricked there units going to deep into the autel unit ,now if you understand cambus configuration modules etc, whereas I do and can use a autel unit , but I never use it diagnosing members jags, because the icarsoft is way easy to use and quicker for me to find the problem but your choice

Old 06-23-2024, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by dennis black
Stick to the icarsoft, saves you from bricking your ecm,the autel is good but not necessary for our jags ,to many members have bricked there units going to deep into the autel unit ,now if you understand cambus configuration modules etc, whereas I do and can use a autel unit , but I never use it diagnosing members jags, because the icarsoft is way easy to use and quicker for me to find the problem but your choice
This unit can’t brick anything. It cannot code ECUs. Only the higher end units can.

Old 06-23-2024, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 435 Likes on 319 Posts

its not the coding its getting deep with modules ,I've seen it too many time trust me I've had to fix peoples mistakes when they go down those rabbit holes, i
like i said if your comfortable with it go for it but for most simple thing icarsoft v3 is your friend
heres the hole i had to fix

screen was black ,i didn't even have to use sdd or pathfinder ,i just dont like seeing people going down a rabbit hole ,if it gets to complex take it to the dealer ,or if you run into trouble i can help

Last edited by dennis black; 06-23-2024 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-23-2024, 11:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What specific Model Icarsoft do most folks use on the FTYPES.

I Have an Ancel reader but have never tried it on my FTYPE yet.

Last edited by BuggDomi; 06-23-2024 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Scan tool opinions, Autel?