Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scan tool opinions, Autel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by BuggDomi
What specific Model Icarsoft do most folks use on the FTYPES.

I Have an Ancel reader but have never tried it on my FTYPE yet.
Most here with an iCarsoft have either or both of an iCarsoft LR V2.0 or V3.0. The 3.0 is newer and has a couple of extra features over the 2.0.
I also had an i930 but I gave it away and it's a bit outdated now and lacking many of the features of the LRs.

The following users liked this post:
BuggDomi (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 02:29 AM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis black
its not the coding its getting deep with modules ,I've seen it too many time trust me I've had to fix peoples mistakes when they go down those rabbit holes, i
like i said if your comfortable with it go for it but for most simple thing icarsoft v3 is your friend
heres the hole i had to fix

screen was black ,i didn't even have to use sdd or pathfinder ,i just dont like seeing people going down a rabbit hole ,if it gets to complex take it to the dealer ,or if you run into trouble i can help
I can’t honestly say I’m “comfortable” with anything. I’m new to the F-type, and I’ve never used a scan tool. I was under the impression that this Autel unit I was looking at was simply a more premium unit than the iCarsoft LR v3 that could deliver a higher degree of specificity for codes (i.e.: More pin-pointed info like SDD without the difficulty of that).

It would seem that perhaps I’m not thinking about things in the correct terms based on your comments?

Old 06-24-2024, 08:42 AM
Received 98 Likes on 55 Posts

I purchased the Icarsoft CR Max for $310. It covers about 3 dozen manufacturers and has free updates for life. I haven't used it on my F-type yet, but used it on the wife's Macan to release the rear parking brake and reset oil and service intervals.

Old 06-24-2024, 12:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone use this tool , Its a bit cheaper than the regular large screen LR V 3.0

iCarsoft OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Tool LR V3.0 (i930 Upgraded Version) for Land Rover/Jaguar, Vehicle Code Reader, Bidirectional Scan Tool with ABS/SRS/Oil/EPB/SAS/TPMS etc 30+ Service,Auto VIN

Old 06-25-2024, 10:43 AM
Received 395 Likes on 177 Posts

I have owned BOTH the iCarsoft and Autel scanners, I would take the Autel one all day, everyday. Better cross vehicle compatibility, more capabilities, no battery drain if you exit from the application and unplug correctly. I purchased the model MK808TS so I could also program TPMS sensors, which is a huge benefit and already saved me when recently replacing my sensors. Well worth the $$$ in my opinion and I have also used this with several other vehicles for a wide range of needs, including brake maintenance mode, code scanner, battery programming and more.

The following users liked this post:
DJS (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 05:48 PM
Received 281 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by skizot
I have owned BOTH the iCarsoft and Autel scanners, I would take the Autel one all day, everyday. Better cross vehicle compatibility, more capabilities, no battery drain if you exit from the application and unplug correctly. I purchased the model MK808TS so I could also program TPMS sensors, which is a huge benefit and already saved me when recently replacing my sensors. Well worth the $$$ in my opinion and I have also used this with several other vehicles for a wide range of needs, including brake maintenance mode, code scanner, battery programming and more.
Can you calibrate ADAS with the Autel?

Old 06-26-2024, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 435 Likes on 319 Posts

i have icarsoft, autel, sdd, pathfinder all of them! but for basic diagnostic for me! icarsoft hands down in and out straight to the parts store done, FIXED, remember just my own opinion buy what suite you best

Old 06-27-2024, 05:30 AM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis black
i have icarsoft, autel, sdd, pathfinder all of them! but for basic diagnostic for me! icarsoft hands down in and out straight to the parts store done, FIXED, remember just my own opinion buy what suite you best
In my case I’m looking to just have one unit and get the “best” I can for my money. My plan originally was to get the iCarsoft v3. The only reason I started looking at Autel is they apparently give more specific code info. That was all I wanted to potentially achieve by spending a bit more money.

I’m still not clear on how I could get myself into a bunch of trouble like you are suggesting. Again, my impression is this particular Autel I’m looking at is a glorified iCarsoft with more specific code info. Maybe I’m wrong? Your comments seem to indicate so. I didn’t think this Autel had any more of an ability to be “destructive” than the iCarsoft. I know there are higher end units that could be.

Perhaps this is just my inexperience talking here. If you could give more clarity on why this Autel could get me in more trouble than the iCarsoft it would be greatly appreciated. I’m seriously asking, as I guess I’m just not clear on what you’re trying to get at in terms of the differences between these 2 units (beyond the Autel giving more detailed codes and having perhaps a few more special service functions etc).

Appreciate all your comments and feedback. It’s between these 2 units for me at this point. Fortunately I’m in no rush.