Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched window, help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 12:33 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Scratched window, help needed!

Hey everyone

Currently rather annoyed as today i have managed to put a scratch on my drivers side window.....

A small stone was caught in the seal and has noticeably put a vertical scratch into my window when i wound it down.

The lower 3-4" i can feel with my fingernail, the scratch itself runs about 2/3 of the way up the glass getting gradually softer.

I have also done this at night and have no idea what this is gonna look like in the sunlight.

Im looking for advice on what i can do next any feedback is appreciated as always.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 258 Posts

Looks pretty bad I'd have a glass expert at least try to use a glass polish compound.

There was something on here about a warranty issue involving roll-up glass getting scratch and there being a warrantied defect in the molding (unless I dreamt that).

Hopefully that is the case for you.

The following users liked this post:
Adz3000 (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
There was something on here about a warranty issue involving roll-up glass getting scratch and there being a warrantied defect in the molding (unless I dreamt that).
No, you're correct. There is a service bulletin for that. You might get lucky and have this fixed for free at the dealer.

Adz3000 (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 01:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had both mine replaced under warranty. Both windows had the same scratches as yours. The dealer replaced both windows and replaced the window seals with new updated ones.

Adz3000 (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 02:06 PM

Thanks all for the input,

A warranty repair would be ideal

Had a closer look under the bright white light and there seems to be quite a few more vertical scratches, definitely seems like the window seal is crap.

Gonna wait to see what it looks like in daylight before i do anything just yet

Old 02-26-2017, 02:28 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Quote JTB00502 at your dealer, it's a warranty fix; they replace the window trims with a new design, and will either polish out/replace the scratched glass.

JTB00502 - Vertical Scratches On Door Windows.pdf

I've just had mine done after suffering the same. It's stupid but they won't replace them unless you suffer the issue...so if it happens outside the warranty, you're screwed (unless you find a really nice dealer).

Old 02-26-2017, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

The dealers are not proactive on the seals issue? They won't replace the door seals until damage happens?

Old 02-26-2017, 02:47 PM

The dealers are not proactive on the seals issue? They won't replace the door seals until damage happens?
Others have tried and failed...the response has been something along the lines of "If there's no damage, there's no problem therefore the bulletin doesn't apply"...even though there clearly is an issue as they all have the same design of trim (I presume/hope they use the updated trim on all F's coming out of the factory now).

But I guess you can try asking, if your dealer is any good then they might let it pass.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Is there are place to find all the TSBs for a 2015 R or all F-types for that matter? Tried a search here and couldn't find them. Also Googled and the 3-4 places have them, for a fee of course.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:04 PM

Is there are place to find all the TSBs for a 2015 R or all F-types for that matter? Tried a search here and couldn't find them. Also Googled and the 3-4 places have them, for a fee of course.
Topix

It'll cost ya for a sub though...but you can at least put your own VIN to see what is relevant for just your vehicle.

Burt Gummer (02-26-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 07:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is interesting. I actually brought my car into the dealer about my driver side glass screeching when rolling down. They told me that they found a small rock in the exterior window seal and that it left a small scratch on the window .

According to this TSB, they should have replaced the seals right ? Is a small rock considered grit? Since this has happened once already, I'd like them to do the TSB before it happens again.

In the case that the window needs replacing , has anyone got the dealer to pay to get the glass retinted ? I just had my windows tinted last week

Old 02-27-2017, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Makeitright
I just had both mine replaced under warranty. Both windows had the same scratches as yours. The dealer replaced both windows and replaced the window seals with new updated ones.

+1. I had it done late last year, and no problem with getting it accepted by the dealer.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by G4Z808
According to this TSB, they should have replaced the seals right ? Is a small rock considered grit?
I would say they should've replaced the seals, yep. The bulletin advises either polishing out the scratch, or if that's not possible (as too deep) then replacing it completely.

In the case that the window needs replacing , has anyone got the dealer to pay to get the glass retinted ? I just had my windows tinted last week
I remember somebody recently saying the dealer agreed to re-tint their windows, I can only imagine it was for the same defect (can't think what else could've gone wrong to require replacement glass).

Having said that, it may be at dealer discretion, so if it was my dealer, it would never happen, not sure about yours but you can only ask...I'd probably take the angle of escalating it if they say No, considering they should have already replaced the seals the first time you went in for it.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Adz3000
Had a closer look under the bright white light and there seems to be quite a few more vertical scratches, definitely seems like the window seal is crap.
That is your ticket to a free warranty replacement of the window and the seals. Don't even mention the new scratch or how it happened (it doesn't change things), just book the car in to have the TSB repair carried out and inform them that there are vertical scratches that can be felt with a fingernail and they will replace the window (or windows if both are affected).

If you ever need to do this out of warranty, fortunately the windows are not that expensive. They are about £120 each with discount, and only take 30 mins to fit.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:16 AM

Thanks all for the comments,

I would of unlikely mentioned this to a dealer before hand.

Just gonna struggle to get the time to get this sorted now

Thanks again!

Old 03-01-2017, 06:10 AM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

In my case, the dealer **did** retint the windows at no cost to me. The determined it was resulting damage once they concluded that the windows needed to be replaced. Unlucky for me, one of the new windows they installed had a scratch from the factory. They noted it at the time I went to pick up the car, so now I have to go back to get that window replaced.

Interestingly, with the new seals installed I actually find that the vertical streaking on the windows is worse. Not sure if the seals need to be "worked in" ?? When i go back to get the scratched window replaced, I'll ask them to recheck the seals.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

I spoke nicely to Jaguar customer relations and they replaced the door seals BEFORE the damage was done as a goodwill gesture. YMMV!

The replacement seal has a different profile so as not to collect debris.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:36 AM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

I had the seals and windows replaced. This is what I'm seeing with the new seals in place. This can't be right???

Old 03-13-2017, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

You mentioned a tint - is it via a film applied to the inner surface and the streaks on that side (you can use a torch to see which side of the glass they are on)? If freshly tinted via a film you can sometimes get streaks for a few days while the fluid evaporates. They should clear on their own, otherwise it needs redoing. The way the marks are at the upper and lower edge of the window does look like that is all it is, but I've only ever had one tint applied and that was over 5 years ago so materials may well be improved nowadays. Not all are of equal quality.

If they were just replaced with new windows, and were not tinted, I would say that looks very similar to the streaks you see from the glass not being cleaned properly with new waist seals not yet worn. When a window is first replaced and the car is washed I've always had a few marks like that, but after cleaning the glass properly it doesn't return. I wondered if it was some coating used during manufacture or transport to prevent the glass picking up scratches?

To clean them make sure the seal is completely dry (hairdry if needed) and clean the glass both inside and out with a good trade glass cleaner. (Bohle make one in the UK in big spray cans.) It should leave an anti-static hydrophobic coating. Spray onto a cloth outside the car then wipe the windows with it until clear. I do not know if it is compatible with your tints.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:24 AM

Crikey that doesn't look nice

The same on both sides?

Still waiting to get mine seen to, not enough time