Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched window, help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
(you can use a torch to see which side of the glass they are on).
On this side of the pond you might want to use a flashlight, instead. (far less destructive)

Old 03-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
On this side of the pond you might want to use a flashlight, instead. (far less destructive)

Old 03-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by bb_sam
I had the seals and windows replaced. This is what I'm seeing with the new seals in place. This can't be right???

Just got confirmation from my dealership that they will be replacing BOTH windows and seals again. Not sure why, but the first replacement didn't seem to work.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:02 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Good deal, glad they are taking care of it. I am just beginning to see the beginnings of scratches on mine. It's been so rainy that I have barely had the windows down! Wondering if it would be better to run in now or wait for it to get worse & get windows replaced too?

Old 03-15-2017, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Do we know if the replacement waist seals being fitted when customers report this issue are revised parts that will not cause it to be repeated, or are they the same parts?

I'm curious because the JTB00502 TSB was issued in June 2016 and for revised parts to have been available through the supply chain for then they must have been developed a few months prior. I am surprised to see MY17 cars still with the original scratching problem.

When mine were replaced (coupe) I was not given the part numbers they used, and the TSB noted only lists the convertible parts. The original coupe part T2R11259 has no active supersessions which suggests the same part is being refitted. (Revised parts do not always get a new part number if it is a minor change like a new supplier, mould repair, etc, but where functionality has changed then AFAIK they should get issued with a new part number.) It is not unheard of for superseded parts to not be linked on their system so they may be using different parts. If you've had yours replaced and have a part number shown please can you share it?

If they are the same parts then I would wait until it bothers you or the warranty is near expiration, and have them replaced then to increase the longevity of the repair.

Last edited by xdave; 03-15-2017 at 07:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Misujerr (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

When mine was replaced last year, the dealer had some problems finding and ordering the new revised seals, which took some time and effort. There is a tread about it here somewhere.

The car has spent most time in winter storage since then, but so far the new seals and windows seems to be good.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Arne
When mine was replaced last year, the dealer had some problems finding and ordering the new revised seals, which took some time and effort. There is a tread about it here somewhere.
Thank you, I recall that thread now. It is reassuring that your dealer encountered that problem as it suggests they are indeed revised parts.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you, I recall that thread now. It is reassuring that your dealer encountered that problem as it suggests they are indeed revised parts.
It was reassuring, and they also did a physical comparison of the new vs old before mounting them, to be certain there was a different design. So I feel very shure I have gotten the new revised ones

Misujerr (03-15-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 06:00 PM

The original coupe part T2R11259 has no active supersessions which suggests the same part is being refitted.
I just picked up my coupe today -- this is the second time they replaced the seals (and both windows). The part numbers noted on the work order are:

T2R7476 -- Glass Door
T2R7477 -- Glass Door
T2R24144 -- Seal Waist
T2R24143 -- Seal Waist

The dealer also covered the cost to re-tint both windows. The replacement took 5 days -- Monday to Friday.

xdave (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

They changed both my windows and both seals in less than one day (delivery in the morning and pick up in the afternoon). They had preordered the parts though, and asked me to deliver my car after they had received the parts.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Arne
They changed both my windows and both seals in less than one day (delivery in the morning and pick up in the afternoon). They had preordered the parts though, and asked me to deliver my car after they had received the parts.
I'm glad you said this. When I had the first seals installed by this same dealership, it also took M-F and in that case they only noticed the driver's side window came in scratched when the tint was being done on the Friday. I was so pissed that it took them 5 days to do this job (and they didn't do any quality control to make sure that the window they were installing was in good condition) that I insisted that they release the car to me even with the scratch.

I was later told only *that* dealer could replace the damaged window because it was part of the work order they attempted to complete. Alas, I had to go back -- but this time I was prepared for the week long delay. I insisted on them picking up the car from my home and having a Jaguar branded rental/courtesy car dropped off at the same time.

I'm definitely not going back to that dealership and will be notifying the manager that their timing to fix repairs is way off.

Last edited by bb_sam; 03-19-2017 at 07:13 AM.