F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Belt chafing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 06:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Seat Belt chafing?

My seat belt cuts across my neck on the side and is really uncomfortable. Looking at the strap that holds it to the seat back I can see that when I'm wearing it it rides up towards the top of the strap, and into my neck.
So I'm thinking there is some way I can hold it down in the lower section of the strap which keeps it off my neck. Has anybody else had this problem, and maybe a solution? I'm thinking of some kind of "guide" that can keep the belt down low in the strap.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2020, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Speeds
My seat belt cuts across my neck on the side and is really uncomfortable. Looking at the strap that holds it to the seat back I can see that when I'm wearing it it rides up towards the top of the strap, and into my neck.
So I'm thinking there is some way I can hold it down in the lower section of the strap which keeps it off my neck. Has anybody else had this problem, and maybe a solution? I'm thinking of some kind of "guide" that can keep the belt down low in the strap.

Thanks!
I and a few others had the exact same problem and there is a thread and/or some posts on it around here somewhere (but I'm too lazy to search for it/them!).
What works for me is to tie a length of Velcro strip tightly over the midpoint of the seat belt retaining strap, leaving just enough room for the seat belt to extend and retract smoothly.
I bought a long roll of Velcro (in red to match my seat) 1 cm wide, see here for example: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hook-and...cAAOSw~ttenzvj
The seat belt stays in place fairly well but eventually the Velcro strip wears out so I simply replace it with a fresh piece cut from the roll, and I have several metres of roll still.
My first solution which worked well was a large zip tie but being black it stood out against the red seat and I was a little worried about it damaging the seat so I switched to Velcro instead.
Here's a pic of the zip tie in place:

Old 07-22-2020, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Speeds

Thanks!
I am with you....cuts right into my clavicle and side of my neck. Not sure if it will help, but I recently ordered some pads to see if it helps? They wrap around the seat belts. We will see.

DC

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 07:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly what I was thinking, but I didn't think about the color. I'll try the zip tie, looks like a good alternative.
Thanks!

Old 07-22-2020, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Mine cut across me in the same way. If I’m wearing a shirt with a collar I tend to adjust it so it folds over the belt which cuts down on the chaffing but I like the pad idea but what I would really like to do is flip the strap over and snap it below rather than on top.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

If I remember correctly I first tried the seat belt "comforter" method, like those shown by Rocky (I already had a pair), but it didn't work at all.
Maybe I had the wrong type and/or I didn't position it correctly, but it did absolutely nothing to stop the seat belt riding up and rubbing my neck.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Old 07-22-2020, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
If I remember correctly I first tried the seat belt "comforter" method, like those shown by Rocky (I already had a pair), but it didn't work at all.
Maybe I had the wrong type and/or I didn't position it correctly, but it did absolutely nothing to stop the seat belt riding up and rubbing my neck.
Well....That's not good! They did not cost much, so if they do not work, I will use them as a rag or something. I may try adjusting the seat, but do no think that mows me relative to the belt?

Many cars are adjustable and i put them on the highest setting and they are fine...but no way on this one. I am 6'4"+ and about 230 lbs....So I am snug in there!

Will see if they do any good. Thanks.

DC

Old 07-22-2020, 09:38 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Instead of wrapping the Velcro around the outside, what about attaching (adhesive backed) to the underside of the retaining strap and the edge of the seat ? If the Velcro was the same width it would be invisible and in a crash would just release, allowing the belt to travel in the retaining strap as designed.
This hadn't really bothered me much but the SO has complained a couple times about it. Think I will try it and see how she likes it and report back.