F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat comfort

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 02:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Seat comfort

Considering an F-Type and test drove one yesterday. Found the seats (performance) fit me well but I found the seats very stiff and hard especially coming from my Porsche Cayman sports seats (most comfortable car seat I've ever had). The salesman said they will soften with use. What's your experience been?

Old 05-18-2018, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Rrosen
Considering an F-Type and test drove one yesterday. Found the seats (performance) fit me well but I found the seats very stiff and hard especially coming from my Porsche Cayman sports seats (most comfortable car seat I've ever had). The salesman said they will soften with use. What's your experience been?
They do.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:52 PM
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I came from a Boxster and chose the standard sports seats in my F-type for the reason you are citing, they felt more like the Porsche seats. The wife and I just came home from a 2hr jaunt and commented on how good the seats felt.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,603 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Rrosen
While I cannot make the comparison to any Porsche, many of us here have made numerous long distance journeys with the Performance seats and have found them to be superb, supportive, and quite comfortable.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,292 Likes on 890 Posts

This was a big issue for me before I went from the XKR to the F Type with performance seats. Initially the middle seam is a complete PITA and rubs on your spine. I hit the seats with leather moisturiser which seemed to help although in retrospect given that they have a poly coating on the leather I guess it was my rubbing that was softening it rather than the cream.

By about 3,000km they were pretty good, by maybe 8,000km they were very supple. At nearly 20,000km they are up there with the best seats I've had and really suit the performance of the car. My wife stopped complaining at about 10,000km, but bear in mind that the passenger seat only gets used a fraction of the time.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
While I cannot make the comparison to any Porsche, many of us here have made numerous long distance journeys with the Performance seats and have found them to be superb, supportive, and quite comfortable.
+1.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,361 Posts

The performance seats are superbly comfortable - perhaps the most comfortable I have ever experienced.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 735 Posts

The performance seats fit *me* quite well. That's what matters most in *my* car. They're not 10/10, but the only gripe I have would be that that bottom bolsters push just a little on the outside of my thighs. The fit across my shoulders perfectly. I wish they had some of the active anti-whiplash features my last two cars did, or even adjustable headrests, but nothing's perfect.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior

I live in Florida & have a garage to keep Jag in, but what would you recommend to keep the inside leather clean & soft?
Thanks

Old 05-18-2018, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top care

Also have convertible, what would you recommend to use?

Old 05-19-2018, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Larryfred
I live in Florida & have a garage to keep Jag in, but what would you recommend to keep the inside leather clean & soft?
Thanks
Two excellent products:first, LEXOL conditioner (and yes, this leather does accept conditioners) and second, AUTOGLYM LEATHER BALM. Both do an excellent job of keeping the leather soft and supple, thereby preventing cracking of the surface finish. This is particularly important in convertibles in which the leather is exposed to sun and dirt. Used regularly either of these products will keep the leather as new for years and years...what you do not want is a "conditioner" that contains silicones, and most commercial leather treatments do. I will not mention brands but apart from the Autoglym, which does not contain silicone, most of the products made by brands associated with auto waxes are, hmmm....more than suspect. There are other very good leather conditioners besides the two I have mentioned...but again, make sure there are no silicones in them once there is silicone applied to the leather absorption of conditioners is nearly impossible. If you have the Extended Leather package, don't forget the top of the dash because it is leather too.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:31 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by Larryfred
Also have convertible, what would you recommend to use?
A number of us use this, 303 Fabric Guard. I apply it with a paintbrush rather than spraying it on.
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-19-2018, 11:08 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I hit the seats with leather moisturiser which seemed to help although in retrospect given that they have a poly coating on the leather
I didn’t realize that the seats have a poly coating. Does this mean that we never have to care for them overtime by using a leather conditioner?

As a side note, when I purchased the car from the dealership, it came with a leather cleaner.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

One would assume that the OP might be talking about the redesigned performance seats in a 2018+. Nobody knows if those soften up. Comments here based on old version.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:16 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the sport seats on the base. They are firm but hold you in place really well, better than the performance seats IMO. The suede in the middle is my theory as to why. My biggest gripe with them is that on the base there is no adjustable lumbar support and I would prefer more lumbar. Otherwise they are very comfortable, much better than I originally thought.

BTW, the most comfortable seats I ever sat in was in a Volvo. They were more comfortable than a lounge chair. Of course they were not ideal for performance driving.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by speedski
BTW, the most comfortable seats I ever sat in was in a Volvo. They were more comfortable than a lounge chair. Of course they were not ideal for performance driving.
The bad news is that the car looked like a Volvo.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:39 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd

The bad news is that the car looked like a Volvo.
Aint that the truth. And it drives like a Volvo . But man those comfy lazy boy seats...

Old 05-19-2018, 05:26 PM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

i find the jaguar seats much more comfortable than the porsche cayman
another planet

Old 05-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,292 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by speedski
Aint that the truth. And it drives like a Volvo . But man those comfy lazy boy seats...
I had an S60R, supposedly the seats were designed by osteos or something, but regardless they were absolutely superb, in a really nice semi analine leather too. Even my wife's v40T5 CC seats were nicer than those in my XF (at the time), though the seats in her XE are really good.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

THE most comfortable seats I ever had were the LUXURY SPORT seats in my '06 BMW 750iL. Bought the SPORT ones in my X5 as they seemed similar just without the power lumber but I quickly found out the Sport-only version didn't tilt in the middle of the seat back just below the shoulders and a number of other places.

The closest I have seen to those are the ones in the new Navigator. Those things are AMAZING but like the volvo example, it's a Lincoln so only your grandpa would be caught dead in it..LOL

Quick Reply: Seat comfort