F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat damaging the bulkhead

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 03:06 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Seat damaging the bulkhead

Just thought i'd post this for opinions on if this should of been able to happen.

Essentially i have taken a few people out for a drive in my car and one of the lads is very tall and moved the seat to the most rear position possible and i have now noticed that the seat has made a small indent/cosmetic damage to the rear portion.

I know the seats have a "bounce back" in the motors if they travel to far and i have checked they work when moving the seat forward however it does not seem to ever stop it self pressing into the rear. is this normal?

Kinda irritating because i know it's there but otherwise quite minor.

Thoughts?

Old 06-24-2016, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,603 Likes on 861 Posts

Get shorter friends? (Apologies for the sarcasm). I have noticed, on the passenger side of my car, that if the seat is all the way back and fully reclined that it does rub and squeak when I go over bumps...but that can easily be corrected by moving the recline even slightly more upright. I know that doesn't resolve your issue.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Get shorter friends? (Apologies for the sarcasm). I have noticed, on the passenger side of my car, that if the seat is all the way back and fully reclined that it does rub and squeak when I go over bumps...but that can easily be corrected by moving the recline even slightly more upright. I know that doesn't resolve your issue.
Thanks for the input, at least i now know that it's not a issue with the seat motor stops and it could potentially do the same to your car.

You would think they would be tested and designed to not cause damage at all. There is obviously some design consideration as the seat fits round the coat hook when moved to the rear.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Adz3000
Thanks for the input, at least i now know that it's not a issue with the seat motor stops and it could potentially do the same to your car.

You would think they would be tested and designed to not cause damage at all. There is obviously some design consideration as the seat fits round the coat hook when moved to the rear.
I am a hawk with people trying to push the seats back to the bitter end. The cab isn't made for this, and a bit off the back doesn't make any difference. There should be a stop for this, as doing what it did to your car isn't a good thing, not the end of the world....but still too bad. I would take it in if it bothers you to see if they could fix it for you. Then again, you can't see it probably with the seat there....so let it go (despite the fact that my mind would go right to that spot....**** aren't I? LOL).

Old 06-26-2016, 08:35 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

ADZ3000- What seats do you have? I have the performance seats and just checked. There is nothing on the back of my seats except smooth rounded plastic curvature; nothing that could make the dents your photos show. We have had our seats all the way back, and have no problems there. Also your coat hook looks different than mine. Are you sure it wasn't something you hung on the hook that got pressed back into the bulkhead?

Old 06-27-2016, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by mjm3457
ADZ3000- What seats do you have? I have the performance seats and just checked. There is nothing on the back of my seats except smooth rounded plastic curvature; nothing that could make the dents your photos show. We have had our seats all the way back, and have no problems there. Also your coat hook looks different than mine. Are you sure it wasn't something you hung on the hook that got pressed back into the bulkhead?
Never actually used the coat hanger so there was definitely nothing in the way.

I have the "r" performance seats but i wouldn't call the back of them smooth, as there is a indent to allow the coat hook to fit into. I'll get a photo to show you later.

Kinda curious to see your style of hook now.

Maybe if mine is different and the seat didn't really allow for it (therefore causing the damage) i could get a warranty style repair.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

My hook looks different as well - a bit "narrower" and of a different design (from memory). Don't have a pic though....

Old 06-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Pics taken:

The following users liked this post:
Adz3000 (06-28-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 11:09 AM

Thank you for the pictures,

Actually quite surprised by how much more yours come forward

Would definitely mean the seat can't touch the bulkhead before touching the coat hook therefore protecting that area.

My seat looks identical.

The plot thickens! Might actually talk to Jaguar about this now.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

While the motors probably stop the seat moving back when the end rail is reached, if the seat is tilted back from upright, then there's no way that any sensor would pick that up I would imagine. So a tall person who likes to lay back might fool the design....

Old 06-27-2016, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by stmcknig
While the motors probably stop the seat moving back when the end rail is reached, if the seat is tilted back from upright, then there's no way that any sensor would pick that up I would imagine. So a tall person who likes to lay back might fool the design....
Although i'd like to believe this i don't think that is the case, as i have just tried putting the seat more vertical. It still goes back until you hear the motors stress and rather than break anything i stop.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:38 PM

Whilst looking more closely at the seats and also keeping in mind the picture Arne was kind enough to post it definitely seems that the coat hooks are so shallow that the recess for them is poorly designed.

Poorly designed only for the reason of the recess itself having an edge to it that makes the surface no longer flush with the seat.

I imagine the larger coat hooks actually make contact in the recess area before the seat can move to far back and press on the edge of the recess insert.

Like i said originally, quite a minor issue but irritating nonetheless. I'll just have to keep it in mind for now and hopefully it warns of others who push there seats to far back.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for the pictures,

Actually quite surprised by how much more yours come forward

Would definitely mean the seat can't touch the bulkhead before touching the coat hook therefore protecting that area.

My seat looks identical.

The plot thickens! Might actually talk to Jaguar about this now.
Glad to be of assistance

If I remember correctly there were some complaints on the "older"(?) hooks (like the one I have), as I think they had a tendency to rattle or make some other disturbing sound/noise. Your hooks might be the solution to that problem, but might have introduced a new?

Never had any problems or noises from mine though.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I hope your friends moves the seat all the way back and then moves it slightly forward. If not, you need better friends.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Adz3000,
Carefully examining my seat back, I can only conclude that with yours, someone on a regular basis was raising and lowering the seat while in the full back position. The edges on the seat insert just aren't sharp enough to puncture the vinyl with pressure. However, plenty sharp enough to "saw" through the vinyl over a period of time by raising and lowering the seat and wearing out the surface.

The following users liked this post:
Adz3000 (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Adz3000,
Carefully examining my seat back, I can only conclude that with yours, someone on a regular basis was raising and lowering the seat while in the full back position. The edges on the seat insert just aren't sharp enough to puncture the vinyl with pressure. However, plenty sharp enough to "saw" through the vinyl over a period of time by raising and lowering the seat and wearing out the surface.
Thanks for having a close look at your own car Unhingd

Most likely is a case of i didn't realise soon enough to prevent damage. As it was a long-ish drive (4 hrs) with my mate in the car driving to a drift event and i know he adjusted the seat to the rear early on so maybe his weight and getting in and out is what caused the additional pressure for the damage to occur.

Still though i think it's a bit of a flaw as the way i see it, if i let it happen anyone could do the same.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Thanks for having a close look at your own car Unhingd

Most likely is a case of i didn't realise soon enough to prevent damage. As it was a long-ish drive (4 hrs) with my mate in the car driving to a drift event and i know he adjusted the seat to the rear early on so maybe his weight and getting in and out is what caused the additional pressure for the damage to occur.

Still though i think it's a bit of a flaw as the way i see it, if i let it happen anyone could do the same.
I agree. You should definitely attempt to get it repaired/replaced under warranty.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:25 PM

I'll let everyone know how i get on as i'm going to raise this to Jaguar when i get back to the UK next week.

Separately there is also a ticking noise coming from behind the driver's seat. Not quite pinpointed it yet but i have seen the threads mentioning door seals so currently trying to find something there.

Anyway before i get side tracked i now have 2 reasons to see Jaguar.....

Old 06-30-2016, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

The Tesla X literally crushes babies, so we're doing okay. Relevant with a jab at us:
Tesla Model X Approaches Old Jaguar Levels Of Build Quality

It may have been my too-much-dry-cleaning moment, but I damaged the top rubber portion of the hook. Not sure that was the seat, or me. But it does seem like an after thought, of sorts. The manual transmission cupholders also suffer the afterthought design moment.

Lucky very few people are nosing around back there! =)

Old 07-11-2016, 11:30 AM

Just a follow up on this thread

Issue has now been repaired by Jaguar under a warranty repair.

They agreed to fit new parts and as a result of this i now have the much longer coat hooks fitted.

They also have "calibrated" the seat motors so the seat now stops itself before it goes to far back.

Happy that it was sorted and turned around so quickly, i am still going to keep an eye on it though and ask people not to go to far back in the seats as i do think there is still the potential for it to damage itself.

Quick Reply: Seat damaging the bulkhead