Sponsored by:

Secondary battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2023, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Secondary battery

Old 04-01-2023, 10:43 AM

Hi everyone, I used to login with Facebook but seems that jaguarforums has some issues with that so I had to create a new profile.

I’m the owner of a fantastic 2015 Jag F-Type R since a couple of years. I’ve probably made 4,000 miles with car, 1,500 just to take it home..

I use it in the summer and every time is like the first time.

I have recently replaced the Supercharger coupler using the extended warranty and O2 sensors and the catalytic converters with the original Jag warranty (!).

With the previous cats the sound became a kind of muffled and it took a few months before I convinced the jag dealership on replacing the cats. They were trying to convince me that was normal to get the MIL lightband that I was fine with just the o2 sensors replaced.

I had loaner from them on which I have literally put 20,000 miles in the 6 months (through fall and winter) that they kept my jag since I used their loaner instead of my suv for business.

Taking the car sitting for so long, ****ed up my secondary battery. I have figured out to replace it myself (battery OEM never changed and I had enough of the 10k$ job made under warranty + 10k$ of reimbursement I have got using their loaner).

I ordered the battery on ebay and I was surprised that arrived just only after a few days from Estonia!

I have finally the ECO function back on.

Finally the question… I use to keep the jag on a battery tender, should I apply the battery tender on the terminal of the secondary battery or it will get juice from the main battery and keeping that one on the battery tender?

Sorry for the dumb question but it’s long that I didn’t have the car in my garage that I can’t remember.

Thanks!!!

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by mario.ori

Old 04-01-2023, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,350 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Just charge the main battery. The car's charging system will take care of the smaller secondary battery. Do I see some battery corrosion down in the brackets? Maybe clean that up?
You are wise to keep the car on a charger too. Really prevents LOTS of problems plus the battery will last longer!

The following users liked this post:
mario.ori (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

You're about the only person that wants to keep the secondary battery. All it does is keep the eco stop/start going. I'd say 8 years out of a battery is a pretty darn good lifespan, though.

mario.ori (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 11:50 AM

yes, I took the picture before I cleaned it up. Just to show how much corrosion I had under that battery and on the positive bracket.

Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Just charge the main battery. The car's charging system will take care of the smaller secondary battery. Do I see some battery corrosion down in the brackets? Maybe clean that up?
You are wise to keep the car on a charger too. Really prevents LOTS of problems plus the battery will last longer!

Old 04-01-2023, 11:53 AM

it annoyed me to have that message about eco start/stop not available and I fixed it with just 140$ delivery included for the battery and one hour of my time.

Originally Posted by eeeeek
You're about the only person that wants to keep the secondary battery. All it does is keep the eco stop/start going. I'd say 8 years out of a battery is a pretty darn good lifespan, though.

Old 04-01-2023, 11:56 AM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

I had to have the secondary battery replaced since on my 2015 F-type R it threw a U0447 trouble code that prevented me from passing smog. When the delaer replaced the secondary battery, they used a newer style bracket rather than the metal enclosure that is a pain to remove and disaasemble to get at the battery. Next time will be easier to change the secondary battery. I always have my battery maintainer plugged in when not using the car.

mario.ori (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 12:09 PM

I also had the u0447 when i picked up the car.
the service technician said that’s nothing and all the car have it..

i googled it and found hints to look at the secondary battery so I didn’t bother to argue with the dealership. I only made them to add on the report that I was picking up the car with the u0447.

I’m not sure if nowadays many service techs are overwhelmed or frustated or incompetent. make me really worried about how they fix stuff that i don’t understand and can’t judge.

here a note that i have seen on the service manager’s office of a shitshow with another customer:

Originally Posted by 355rockit
I had to have the secondary battery replaced since on my 2015 F-type R it threw a U0447 trouble code that prevented me from passing smog. When the delaer replaced the secondary battery, they used a newer style bracket rather than the metal enclosure that is a pain to remove and disaasemble to get at the battery. Next time will be easier to change the secondary battery. I always have my battery maintainer plugged in when not using the car.

Old 04-01-2023, 01:37 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mario.ori
I also had the u0447 when i picked up the car.
the service technician said that’s nothing and all the car have it..

i googled it and found hints to look at the secondary battery so I didn’t bother to argue with the dealership. I only made them to add on the report that I was picking up the car with the u0447.

I’m not sure if nowadays many service techs are overwhelmed or frustated or incompetent. make me really worried about how they fix stuff that i don’t understand and can’t judge.

here a note that i have seen on the service manager’s office of a shitshow with another customer:
I scanned using my cheapo reader and found the code prior going to the dealership and told them that it was the secondary battery issue due to Eco mode throwing an error (per internet research). I said to replace the seconmdary battery, but they said U0447 may be somehtign else. They ran it through their more advanced code reader and came to the same conclusion. Charged me $667 for diagnostics, battery and replacement.

The following 2 users liked this post by 355rockit:
Ken Dreger (01-24-2024), mario.ori (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

As suggested above, just put the tender on the main battery. You may already be using a detachable pigtail for easy connections - it's the way to go.
Look in the How To sticky thread for easy instruction and pictures for doing it on the early model years with 2-batteries. And, if you have anything else that needs "tending" (like a motorcycle, lawnmower, generator, or other car), pick up an extra pigtail.

mario.ori (04-01-2023)